Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any issues w/ their Apple TV since the last OS update...and whether they know of fixes to my issues. My ATV now keeps dropping out of my iTunes Devices list, and I keep getting that "format is not recognized" error when trying to play files that played just fine a week ago. I constantly have to re-boot the ATV & re-start iTunes....never had a problem with ATV disconnecting before, and it's been ages since I had seen the "format not recognized" error....

ETA: My ATV is connected to a 1st gen Airport Extreme Base Station via ethernet; my iTunes library is stored on a OWC Mercury Elite-Al external hard drive connected to my MBP via firewire 800

lloyd26

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
I've just experienced the same problem, and will revert back to 10.5.6 to see if it corrects it.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I've just experienced the same problem, and will revert back to 10.5.6 to see if it corrects it.

I'd rather not revert back to 10.5.6 as the .7 update seems to have smoothed-over some non-ATV related issues for me. I ended up restoring my ATV to factory, and am re-syncing about 130GB of selected music right now...what a PITA!! I'll then have to update software as my ATV came w/ 2.0 factory installed. Just couldn't take it anymore--I play some content, turn off my ATV, and then it disappears from my devices list in iTunes. I re-start iTunes & manually re-sync, but when I try to play content, I get that damn "don't recognize format" message. If I re-boot ATV & re-start iTunes I can then play content, but the cycle starts over again. I'm hoping restoring my ATV isn't just a waste of time..

lloyd26

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
I reverted back to my pre-10.5.7 backup with 10.5.6 - and ATV is back to normal... I'm going to hold off on updating to 10.5.7 for a while now.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I reverted back to my pre-10.5.7 backup with 10.5.6 - and ATV is back to normal... I'm going to hold off on updating to 10.5.7 for a while now.

Crap.... Now I'll have to at least consider going back to .6; restoring my ATV did nothing but waste my time--it's showing the same things/issues as before. I am so pissed right now.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I have been running 10.5.7 since the night it was released with no issues at all streaming to two apple TV's

evildarklordude

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
New York, NY
Have Experienced Similar Issues

I have had similar issues with my ATV but they have been related to my AEBS firmware. When I go to 7.4.1 (I'm not sure about this number, I mean the most recent one) It gives me the same errors you are concerned about. When I revert back to firmware 7.3.2, it seems to work fine. So the problem may not be the OS Update but the AEBS firmware.

Azfar

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I have had similar issues with my ATV but they have been related to my AEBS firmware. When I go to 7.4.1 (I'm not sure about this number, I mean the most recent one) It gives me the same errors you are concerned about. When I revert back to firmware 7.3.2, it seems to work fine. So the problem may not be the OS Update but the AEBS firmware.

Azfar

O.K. Thanks for stopping in here & offering that up...I was just assuming this was 10.5.7 related. Since restoring my ATV, I still have the same problems--my ATV drops out of my iTunes Devices list, and when I restart iTunes & re-sync, my media won't play ("format not recognized"). Gonna have to see if I can find an installer for the previous AEBS firmware as I only started using Time Machine again very recently (too long to explain).

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
O.K. Thanks for stopping in here & offering that up...I was just assuming this was 10.5.7 related. Since restoring my ATV, I still have the same problems--my ATV drops out of my iTunes Devices list, and when I restart iTunes & re-sync, my media won't play ("format not recognized"). Gonna have to see if I can find an installer for the previous AEBS firmware as I only started using Time Machine again very recently (too long to explain).

Ditto on the Airport Extreme Base Station firmware update. I reverted back to 7.3.2 because 7.4.1 was playing havoc around the house. My media files are on a windows box btw and I was having to restart both it, my AEBS and the :apple:tv to stop the stuttering and dropouts I was experiencing.

Since reverting back to old firmware it's back to steady-eddy dependability.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Can anyone direct me to where I can download the 7.3.2 firmware? Haven't been able to find via Google. Nor can I get it through AirPort Utility updater (I tried the ol' Option key + "check for updates" from the Airport Utility file menu, but it won't allow me to check the box for 7.3.2 for my AEBs--a 1st gen NON-gigabyte ethernet)

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Just wanted to add that I finally figured out how to downgrade firmware--feel kinda stupid now. For those that may not know how:
--Open Airport Utility
--go to "Base Station" dropdown menu on the menubar, here's the KEY - Hold down Option key and hit UPLOAD FIRMWARE
--7.3.2 is one of the available firmwares in the dropdown box that pops up

Now I just gotta hope this fixes my ATV issues

heliocentric

Nov 26, 2008
it does it for me and i just have a netgear router.

any suggestions?

does going back to 10.5.6 really help?

thanks

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Well, downgrading my AEBS (1st gen, -n enabled) firmware to 7.3.2 did NOT fix my issues--ATV still drops out of my iTunes devices list after a period of inactivity. Before upgrading to OS X 10.5.7, ATV could sit idle for several days w/out dropping out of iTunes, and I hadn't experienced the "format not recognized" error in almost a year. This is frustrating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.