Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tellmegoodmorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2004
I have an IMAC Power PC 3G. I need a screen in another room. Is it possible to hook up another modem, say a gateway? tellme

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
what kind of G3 imac specifically do you have
i'm pretty sure the early ones don't have video out the newer ones might
as far as a screen in another room if your imac does have video out, the only way to do that is a really long cable and there are limits to how long of a cable you can use

tellmegoodmorn said:
I have an IMAC Power PC 3G. I need a screen in another room. Is it possible to hook up another modem, say a gateway? tellme

Brettla

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Monona,WI
All the G3 iMac's i have seen have VGA out.
As for hooking up another monitor, i have seen a 40 ft VGA cable run for a projector and there were no problems even with that length of cable.

The newer iMac G3's which have Firewire usually have the VGA out, to check if you have it, flip your computer over with the monitor facing down, then look for two hatches on the back, one has a dial that has a lock unlock on it, that is the access to the RAM, the hatch above it is the access for the VGA mirroring port, it may take a flat head screw driver to pop open, it uses a 15pin Male VGA connector. As long as the Gateway monitor is a 15 pin Female monitor you should be fine. You may need a really long cable for both the monitor and the mouse and KB. Good luck.

tellmegoodmorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Thanks for advise, now will any monitor work with a IMac.

I have access to a Gateway monitor, would I be able to hook that type of PC to my Imac? I just realized I said a "modem" in my original question, I meant a PC Gateway type monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.