PDA

View Full Version : how to get ALL of my itunes library on my ipod

roonumbertwo
May 17, 2009, 04:19 PM
ok, so i have a classic 30 gb ipod which is suppose to hold approximately 7500 songs. i have about 6800 in my iTunes library with only one movie trailer in my movies section. when i try to sync my ipod it says that there is not enough space for it to be synced. >_< so, in an attempt i just unchecked a BUNCH of music thinking it would get it down to the 'required space needed.' after that i tried syncing again, it gives me the same error message but it changed the 'required amount' im always like a couple gb's away. its so frustrating!! can someone please help me??!!

r.j.s
May 17, 2009, 04:23 PM
What is the actual size of your library?

ethical
May 17, 2009, 04:24 PM
ok, so i have a classic 30 gb ipod which is suppose to hold approximately 7500 songs. i have about 6800 in my iTunes library with only one movie trailer in my movies section. when i try to sync my ipod it says that there is not enough space for it to be synced. >_< so, in an attempt i just unchecked a BUNCH of music thinking it would get it down to the 'required space needed.' after that i tried syncing again, it gives me the same error message but it changed the 'required amount' im always like a couple gb's away. its so frustrating!! can someone please help me??!!

when the iPod is plugged in and you're on the summary page in iTunes, what does it say the "space remaining" is? Also, when on "Library" (viewing all your music), what does it say the total size is at the bottom? If the total size is larger than the size remaining it's not going to fit. Also, songs vary in sizes quite a lot, from 2Mb-6Mb roughly, so 7500 is very much an estimate.

r.j.s
May 17, 2009, 04:26 PM
Also, songs vary in sizes quite a lot, from 2Mb-6Mb roughly, so 7500 is very much an estimate.

The codec used to encode them matters as well. Lossless files are going to be larger than 128K mp3s.

Winter Charm
May 17, 2009, 08:49 PM
The codec used to encode them matters as well. Lossless files are going to be larger than 128K mp3s.

mp3's!!! why in god's name mp3's?? i'm sorry, but AAC all the way! :cool:

r.j.s
May 17, 2009, 09:27 PM
mp3's!!! why in god's name mp3's?? i'm sorry, but AAC all the way! :cool:

Agreed, but I was just using it as an example. Although, I do have a ton of music in mp3 format still ...

*runs off to convert it to AAC

DaftUnion
May 17, 2009, 09:49 PM
Agreed, but I was just using it as an example. Although, I do have a ton of music in mp3 format still ...

*runs off to convert it to AAC

I respectively disagree. As long as you're not using the built in iTunes mp3 encoder, LAME encoded mp3's sound just as good as AAC at least at the 256kbps I encode at. Plus you get better compatibility with mp3 than AAC.

So I'd say...high bitrate mp3 all the way. Opinion of course.

bozz2006
May 17, 2009, 09:59 PM
and you really don't want to convert something that has been encoded MP3 into AAC. You know how things get a little fuzzy when you make a copy of a copy...

http://www.lisamertins.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/multiplicity80.jpg

r.j.s
May 17, 2009, 10:03 PM
and you really don't want to convert something that has been encoded MP3 into AAC. You know how things get a little fuzzy when you make a copy of a copy...

Yes, yes, I know. By convert, I meant reimport ...