Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I was under the impression that you could do nothing with the background layer unless it was unlocked . So far I have been able to use my pencil and eraser . The lock is on . Am I mistaken

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The background layer in PS is locked by default. There are two easy ways to change it so it can be edited. I like to drag the background (usually the original) to the new layer icon. This duplicates it with an unlocked layer. Then you can turn off the visibility eye to the original and work on the copy. If you screw up, trash the copy and start over with the original.

The second way is to double click the background and rename it. This removes the lock, but you have to be careful to save it under a different name in case you don't like your work.

As if this never happens to me...

OOps...I need to read better. I don't know why you are able to work on a locked layer. Is it an image or just a fill color?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Back again.

I can paint on the background layer with either black or white. There is a Background Eraser Tool in the Eraser flyout that will erase the background. I have no idea why Adobe would have this unless it's an emergency tool in case you damage your only background layer. Guess that's why I copy the background out of habit. Have for years.

Sorry for my miss-read...

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
The background layer in PS is locked by default.
Only the position is locked. It is possible to lock different aspects of any layer, i.e. lock the transparency (this means transparent pixels remain transparent regardless of what you do to the non-transparent pixels), or lock the image pixels (the reverse of the former), or lock the position, or lock the whole layer.
The "erase to transparent" eraser converts a standard background layer to a normal layer the moment you use it.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
background layer /PScs3

I to am aging (63) , this is a hobby . I drag a photo into my dock to open PS . When it opens an image appears , layers box has one layer (background). Out of curiosity I used my pencil to trace the image in black (it works) . Later on the photo will become a line drawing that will be printed off , enlarged with a projector then airbrushed into a finished painting . I have been at Ps for four years now and still confused . Thanks

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
I to am aging (63) , this is a hobby . I drag a photo into my dock to open PS . When it opens an image appears , layers box has one layer (background). Out of curiosity I used my pencil to trace the image in black (it works) . Later on the photo will become a line drawing that will be printed off , enlarged with a projector then airbrushed into a finished painting . I have been at Ps for four years now and still confused . Thanks

Okay, so after you've opened your image in PS, get the layers window and create a new, empty, transparent layer on top by clicking the 'page' button at the bottom of the layers window.
Then use your pencil on this layer. When you are done, turn off the original background layer and you will be left with just your pencil tracing.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The second way is to double click the background and rename it. This removes the lock, but you have to be careful to save it under a different name in case you don't like your work.

You can also option+double-click the background and it will convert it to a regular layer.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
background layer /PScs3

" get the layers window and create a new, empty, transparent layer on top by clicking the 'page' button at the bottom of the layers window."

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
background layer/PScs3

" get the layers window and create a new, empty, transparent layer on top by clicking the 'page' button at the bottom of the layers window." Sorry about the two quotes , hit enter while entering title and it was gone . Anyway , I looked for transparent layer but could not find it (did not realize I just created one ) . I did click on the page icon in layers palette . After tracing a test image I turned off background layer icon and had a black & white tracing . I am guessing that I can now save / print , or must I do something else before I save / print ? . Thank you so much this is exactly what I have been looking for .

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
Choose "Save As" from the file menu and save the file with a new name and with the format PSD, which is the appropriate file format for a file with layers.
You will be able to print the file. Just keep the background layer hidden and it will only print what you see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.