PDA

View Full Version : Software for wiping old hard drives

CASS 2004
May 2, 2004, 08:40 PM
Hi,

I have a few old MAC's (SE, SE30 and 6100) that I want to donate for parts. But, I need to wipe the old confidential data from the hard drives. What software should I use?

Thanks

aussie_geek
May 3, 2004, 07:25 AM
hey CASS 2004,

You can always try the apple software download site for software prior to system 8 at :

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

Go to the utilities section and download the drive setup programs, copy one of them to floppy and run on your old mac. There should be an option in one of the programs to zero the hard drive and install the system software (if you still have the disks). If you don't have the system disks you can download them at that site also.

If worst comes to worst, you can always trash all your inportant files, select a big file on the hard drive that has no important information on it and copy it over and over untill there is no space left on the drive... That way if the person who gets your old drive wanted to sticky beak around in it, they would only find multiple copies of one 'non important' file... ;)

hope this helps,

aussie_geek :cool:

krimson
May 3, 2004, 08:34 AM
and if you're really paranoid about data recovery, just zero-level format it 7 times... or was it 8... that should make any recovery impossible.