PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Keyboard

Marlon_JBT
May 3, 2004, 12:24 AM
Hello, I believe I just killed my keyboard. Hardware test came up good. ANy solutions? Will USB keyboards work?

PlaceofDis
May 3, 2004, 12:47 AM
what happened to your keyboard to kill it? and i assume the hardware test said that everything else is fine besides your keyboard or what?

Marlon_JBT
May 3, 2004, 07:39 AM
I'm guilty of Babysitting While Computing. A 5 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. I was feeding the one year old, when I knocked over the cup of milk... oops. Several keys are dead, but most of the bottom row (Z-M) still work, along with the space bar, caps lock, delete, and the eject key.

First thought was to get some paper towel on it, then remove the keyboard to let it dry. I had just awaken from a nap after the kids were picked up, and decided to try it (yes, that late at night)... and discovered that it didn't work anymore. However, all the rest of the hardware tests fine, and the PB works fine. However, typing with Key Caps is very time consuming.

Looks like I'll have to head to eBay!

(But in the meantime, my school just put a bunch of PowerMac G3s in storage. Maybe I can bring a keyboard home? (Is it USB?) If things go well, one of the G3s themselves? :D )

Celeron
May 3, 2004, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear that. I got myself $2000 of Safeware (www.safeware.com) computer insurance in case I ever spill anything into my laptop. It covers theft, accidental damage, and some other stuff too. Very much worth it in my opinion and the rates aren't that bad either.

Marlon_JBT
May 3, 2004, 09:41 AM
Yeah, the keyboard is dead. I brought it to school, and used it on the 12" PB I use here. Oh well. (Identical model).

however, this is a VERY good excuse to pick up one of the backlit keyboards from the 15" or 17"!!! Will it work? Anyone know if the connectors are the same? Are they of the same length? Hopefully not shorter. I know that the keyboards are operated by a sensor, but can you turn it on manually?

If not, then I'll just buy another 12" keyboard.