Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shergill

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Hi all. Do you think there is a slight chance of an upgrade to the mini (such as 2gig ram standard) at WWDC? Won't they have to bump it up to at least 2gig in time for Snow Leopard?

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
With SnowLeopard due; i figured they might bump up the pitiful 1gig ram standard..
It's always possible, maybe they'll just do a silent upgrade like they did with the white macbook around SL's release. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I highly doubt it. I think it was nearly 2 years since the had last updated the Mini so, use that as a rough guide

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Snow Leopard isn't only going to work on the current line of computers, it has to also be available to those who purchased in the past year or so. I am sure 1 GB will support your average home web surfer, who the 1 GB mini is aimed at.

Anyway, to answer the OP question I doubt it will see another refresh this year.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Back in 2005 they bumped it after 2 months...
Maybe RAM/update the NVidia GPU when they update the MacBook lineup's GPU.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I don't know if they will.. but it needs a serious refresh. The last one was a bit of a joke. 2GB standard, 2.0GHz would be nice, maybe a 320GB HDD standard.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
With SnowLeopard due; i figured they might bump up the pitiful 1gig ram standard..

If we are VERY lucky we can get a small, silent upgrade like 2GBs of RAM in base model and bigger HDs as a standard. It happened with new MBPs, they got a little speed bumb.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
The whole point of the base mini is that it is a base model. With minimum specs, then you can build on that. If you want more RAM then buy it with more RAM, it's not difficult. That's why mine is a 'base' maxed out with 4GB of RAM, I don't need a large HDD as it just runs my operating system, my external drive has all of the media. Remember the base mini is aimed at the minimal user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.