PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out For ID Theft Emails

Mr. Anderson
May 3, 2004, 07:42 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/04/30/identity.theft.ap/index.html

This would really suck - but it just shows how much more planning is going into getting money from people. Makes me wonder if the backlash from all of this won't put a crackdown on what financial transactions you can do on line....

D

rueyeet
May 3, 2004, 11:13 AM
I've also seen some articles and essays about whether dishonest use of email and the Web will increase to the point where no one will trust legitimate uses anymore. Speculation that phishing could ruin online commerce, that spam could increase to the point where email is just unusable, etc.

Once again, a few rotten people have to ruin it for everyone else. :mad:

In any case, no legitimate operation will ever email with requests to input personal information at a weblink anymore, so anytime such a request is received, it's bound to be a phishing scam. And if a webpage you didn't request ever pops up and asks for personal information, that's a red flag too, as are requests for information like driver's license numbers, mother's maiden name, social security numbers, etc.

wdlove
May 3, 2004, 11:53 AM
Those spamers are very braised to try to access information on behalf of the IRS. Apparently the IRS is no longer feared. They are just evil individuals.

I just make it a practice to not give out information like that unless I'm the one contacting them.

parrothead
May 3, 2004, 02:56 PM
I have gotten phone calls from people claiming to be from my bank or credit card. They have some wonderful new program to enroll me in for free. I said great send me the information. They then said that in order for them to send the info they needed my DOB, SS number, mother's maiden name, etc. I kept saying just send me the stuff, and refused to even give them any info. No surprise I never got anything in the mail and when I called my bank, they had heard of no such program. A few tip offs about the call were, they called me, they asked for info that they should have already had, the person was speaking in a foreign accent (I only say this because it would make sense to be based outside the country to avoid getting caught once they drained my bank account). Anyway, the moral of the story is NEVER give your personal details to anyone, ever, unless you initiate the call/email/etc.

gwuMACaddict
May 3, 2004, 03:58 PM
most of the scams i get in my email are from people pretending to be ebay. asking for credit card numbers and crap like that... :rolleyes:

rainman::|:|
May 3, 2004, 07:08 PM
i'm not sure which part is the fraud here-- the identity theft, or the unconstitutional income tax? Ah, for another forum anyway. I've already gotten like 2 of these, i wasn't surprised, i get the citibank and ebay ones constantly. i do wish they'd pay more attention to these cybercriminals, unfortunately it probably means they'd do all sorts of privacy-invading internet taps to accomplish it. :rolleyes:

paul

TimDaddy
May 4, 2004, 03:36 AM
This stuff makes me sick. I know better than to reply to an email or incoming phone call with personal information, but we all let our gaurd down at times. I sometimes sit and try and remember if I have given any info to the wrong people and get worried about it. I don't think I ever have. Nothing has shown up on my credit report, anyway. But, I'm so used to clicking on a link in an email to access my bank accounts, if I clicked on one and it appeared to be the real site, I may forget late at night and enter some personal info. Hopefully, I'd realize what was up when I didn't even have to log in! I'm sure it will never happen to me, but people who say that are the ones it usually happens to!