Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neisner12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Last week, portions of my iPhone 2G screen stopped being responsive. I started to notice it when i couldn't click the Send button on SMS. It would either not respond or think i was hitting the "p" or "q". Then, in TwitterFon, I noticed the Trashcan, picture or friends buttons weren't working either.

I brought it into Apple store and the Genius guy tried to reinstall the OS back to the factory settings (i guess). That didn't work and then he told me that I'd need to buy another unsubsidized iPhone if I wanted those things to work. He said my warranty would be over and he had nothing else to offer.

Tonight, I noticed that in Safari in landscape mode (turned either way), the "+" icon to add a bookmark wouldn't respond. However, if I popped up the keyboard, the "/" had no problem at the exact same finger location. But the "G" and the "V" won't work...it tends to pick the "H" or "F" if I'm tapping "G" or "B" or "C" if tapping "V" (the "T" and "Y" have no problems).

Anyone have suggestions? The SMS thing is a big problem b/c I can't send anything. I'm sure I can find a different Twitter app.

laughingperson5

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
.....You were supposed to get your iPod exchanged. If it was still under warr....wait the iPod touch refresh was last September. SO YES. YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GET A NEW IPOD.
Go to a different Apple store and try your luck there.

Genomalice

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
Repair it!

He said iPhone 2G..

The rep you talked to was probably trying to upsell you a new phone. Go back and ask them to replace the screen/digitizer... it's still expensive but it's much cheaper than a brand new unsubsidized iPhone 3G. If they tell you they cannot replace/repair the screen/digitizer than go to a local cellphone repair shop and they will probably do it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.