Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LApple24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, so I just got back from college and I am on my home's wireless network. I am using a Belkin wireless g router. When I am on the internet, everything is working fine. It seems like every five to ten minutes the internet will just be unresponsive and not able to go to another page. It is really annoying. it is like the internet goes away and comes back after a minute. the wireless signal remains strong. this is so annoying. please help.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have you set up a specific location for your home use in the Network settings?
One location for college, one for home, one for whatever, and so on.

Also have you set the IP to static/manual, or do you use DHCP?

Sometimes it is better to have a location and IP set.

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
Have you set up a specific location for your home use in the Network settings?
One location for college, one for home, one for whatever, and so on.

Also have you set the IP to static/manual, or do you use DHCP?

Sometimes it is better to have a location and IP set.

Ya try giving your laptop a set IP address at home and one for college. That might help.

Is anybody else on the network at the same time? Like on another computer or something trying to download a page or a file? That used to happen at my house before I upgraded to N from G. Whenever somebody logged into the internet (opened safari or IE) it would cut wireless for a few seconds (30-60) then it would go back to normal. Just a thought.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
(Maybe redundant step:)

First you need to find out the router's IP address.
Therefore go into System Preferences > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP while you're connected to the wireless LAN (and www is working).

mac-network-airport-advanced.png

network-airport-tcp-manually.png

Under "Router" a number like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or something similar must be displayed, even if it's not editable due to DHCP in the IPv4 configuration selector.

When you're finished there, go back to the Network Preferences, and select Location > Edit Locations and click the little plus icon to create a new location.
Name it "home" or whatever you want.

Then select Airport again, connect to the W-LAN you have at home, and then go into Advanced > TCP/IP. There make the following edits:

Configure IPv4: Manually

IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.2-255
(2-255 meaning a number from 2 to 255, if subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and if the router's address has a "0" after 192.168. and before .1, if the "0" is a "1" or "2" or whatever, you have to replace the "0" in the IPv4 address with the appropriate "1" or "2")

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: The one address you found out in the 1st step.

Then press OKAY, and APPLY.

You should be set, but beware, that some Belkin routers have problems with Macs.

DrIgg

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
Have you tried upgrading to 10.5.7?

Man, I feel your pain. I had the same problem since I bought my aluminum MacBook 13" (my first Mac) in December. A Windows user all of my life, I was excited about the prospect of "It just works". Well, not so much. It seemed to happen most at home with my AT&T U-Verse wireless router. At random intervals the wireless connection would just stop, even though the signal strength in the status bar showed full bars. Pages just would not load in the browser. If I waited a minute, the connection would come back and the page would load.

I called Apple care and they never heard of the problem but had some suggestions, none of which worked. I downloaded a wireless connection widget, Wireless Grapher, to try to document the problem and sure enough, it would show the wireless signal disappearing every so often. I thought about sending the laptop back, but in the end I just lived with it.

Then the OS X 10.5.7 update came out. After upgrading, I have not had another instance of the problem (fingers crossed). Wireless connection is now blazingly fast and reliable. What version are you running?

havenly007

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Try zapping a PRAM. restart the computer and before the grey screen comes up simultaneously hold down the apple, option, R and P keys. Continue holding them down for 3 chimes and then let them go and allow the computer to restart. This helped me with a similar problem. I'm not sure this will solve your problem...but it can't hurt to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.