Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I already have an alu macbook and alu imac, I have been running out of hard drive space and recently upgraded the macbook to 500gb. My issue now is backups. I have a huge iphoto library that is extremely important, I would also like to be able to use the back up device to stream media etc. I was considering a time capsule but for a couple of hundred dollars more (i'm currently in the us) I could but the low end mini. Would this be suitable for my needs? I would use it basically to run my other two computers iusing file sharing etc. Any advice? thanks.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I have a Mac mini as a media server in my house (1.83GHz Core 2 Duo with Intel Graphics), which sits there quite happily connected to my 1.5TB HDD and streams movies, music and TV shows wirelessly through my Airport Extreme base station to my Apple TV and MacBook Pro. Its a great setup and works really well.

That being said, this may not be the best solution for you, as you'd end up having two copies of everything and manually syncing them, unless there are freeware apps out there to automate this task. Why not save some money, get a 1TB drive or several and use Time Machine on your current machine?

pac

:D

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have a Mac mini as a media server in my house (1.83GHz Core 2 Duo with Intel Graphics), which sits there quite happily connected to my 1.5TB HDD and streams movies, music and TV shows wirelessly through my Airport Extreme base station to my Apple TV and MacBook Pro. Its a great setup and works really well.

That being said, this may not be the best solution for you, as you'd end up having two copies of everything and manually syncing them, unless there are freeware apps out there to automate this task. Why not save some money, get a 1TB drive or several and use Time Machine on your current machine?

pac

:D

`

I have a normal sky router, would this work ok or would it be better to get an airport extreme?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.