Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I'm wondering how to get an avatar, i.e how many posts you need to get an avatar? Just wondering--I have over 100 posts and my User CP looks like it won't let me have one yet.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
hotwire132002 said:
I'm wondering how to get an avatar, i.e how many posts you need to get an avatar? Just wondering--I have over 100 posts and my User CP looks like it won't let me have one yet.
Once you get 500 posts and become a MacRumors 6502, you can get an avatar. This information can be found in the FAQ - check the links bar at the top of forums pages. It's next to your User CP.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
wrldwzrd89 said:
Once you get 500 posts and become a MacRumors 6502, you can get an avatar. This information can be found in the FAQ - check the links bar at the top of forums pages. It's next to your User CP.

Thanks.

I've got a long way to go... :rolleyes:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
What does that number after the name mean anyways?

I know different members have different numbers.
and when do you get one? is it after 500 posts?

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
Koodauw said:
What does that number after the name mean anyways?

As best I can tell, the numbers correspond with the numbers assigned to Apple processors. I was wondering why so many people seemed to share the same number; I recall reading a post to that effect in another thread but I can't recall where.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iBook said:
As best I can tell, the numbers correspond with the numbers assigned to Apple processors. I was wondering why so many people seemed to share the same number; I recall reading a post to that effect in another thread but I can't recall where.

Yeah, these are all old processors that were used on Apple computers...most of these are Motorolla products. All the 65xx's were used on the Apple I/II computers and maybe the Lisa, 68000 was the first Mac processor, and then 68010 (don't know if a Mac ever used this, I think some Amigas did), 68020, which is roughly like a '286, 68030 and 68040, and then the PowerPCs.... But the order of the titles goes the same as they were introduced into computing -- 6502 is older than the 68k's and the PPCs so it comes first. ;)

There is actually a thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/37092/

which explains them. There are probably a lot of people at 6502, just because it takes a long time to get the next 500 posts. :(

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
well ijust got one and it kicks ass i'm wandering wether to have a starwars one or keep the current one any opinion?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Anyone here good at making avatars? I am looking for an animated one. kinda like agreensters. What programs do you use to make them?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Koodauw said:
Anyone here good at making avatars? I am looking for an animated one. kinda like agreensters. What programs do you use to make them?

he used Maya (3D animation software)

mine is Lightwave, although at the current time, its not animated - maybe later

Photoshop and ImageReady are good for most - flash and export out the file as gif.

Good luck,

D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Koodauw said:
I am looking for an animated one. kinda like agreensters.
That's like saying "I wanna play golf, kinda like Tiger Woods" or "I want a girlfriend, kinda like Keira Knightley". :D agreenster is a professional and his avatar is about the best there is. I suggest starting with a less lofty goal, like 2D animation or even still images fading into each other. Oh course, I don't want to squash anyone's dreams. I'd love to master Maya and make my own 3D animations!

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Doctor Q said:
That's like saying "I wanna play golf, kinda like Tiger Woods" or "I want a girlfriend, kinda like Keira Knightley". :D agreenster is a professional and his avatar is about the best there is.

HA! That's funny. Last time I checked I was unemployed, so I guess that makes me an "aspiring" professional. Thanks for the compliment though. :rolleyes:

I guess, technically, I'm not unemployed, I'm just not employed in the 3D animation industry......YET!

Yet! Thats right, I said, YET!

YET YET YET!

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
agreenster said:
I guess, technically, I'm not unemployed, I'm just not employed in the 3D animation industry......YET!

Yet! Thats right, I said, YET!

YET YET YET!

forgive the off topic post...

you'll get work, i promise you. your skills are amazing.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Doctor Q said:
That's like saying "I wanna play golf, kinda like Tiger Woods" or "I want a girlfriend, kinda like Keira Knightley". :D agreenster is a professional and his avatar is about the best there is. I suggest starting with a less lofty goal, like 2D animation or even still images fading into each other. Oh course, I don't want to squash anyone's dreams. I'd love to master Maya and make my own 3D animations!

Yeah, that's about the best one here. (I like the Vader one, too, by the way.)

Also off topic: I'm starting to see ads again. Does that mean my one-year subscription is up?

Squire

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.