PDA

View Full Version : Avatars

hotwire132002
May 3, 2004, 12:00 PM
I'm wondering how to get an avatar, i.e how many posts you need to get an avatar? Just wondering--I have over 100 posts and my User CP looks like it won't let me have one yet.

wrldwzrd89
May 3, 2004, 12:05 PM
I'm wondering how to get an avatar, i.e how many posts you need to get an avatar? Just wondering--I have over 100 posts and my User CP looks like it won't let me have one yet.
Once you get 500 posts and become a MacRumors 6502, you can get an avatar. This information can be found in the FAQ - check the links bar at the top of forums pages. It's next to your User CP.

hotwire132002
May 3, 2004, 12:09 PM
Once you get 500 posts and become a MacRumors 6502, you can get an avatar. This information can be found in the FAQ - check the links bar at the top of forums pages. It's next to your User CP.

Thanks.

I've got a long way to go... :rolleyes:

Koodauw
May 3, 2004, 12:43 PM
What does that number after the name mean anyways?

I know different members have different numbers.
and when do you get one? is it after 500 posts?

MacFan25
May 3, 2004, 02:19 PM

I know different members have different numbers.
and when do you get one? is it after 500 posts?
The MacRumors Forum FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092) should answer your questions. :)

Koodauw
May 3, 2004, 11:38 PM
Thank you Macfan, I searched but did not see that.
I am now in the know. Thanks!

Kethoticus
May 4, 2004, 07:40 PM
I was just looking into this the other day, and couldn't figure out why my edit avatar options weren't changeable. Thanks for explaining it guys! I only got maybe 400 more posts to go!

KC9AIC
May 5, 2004, 01:22 AM
Just keep on posting, and I'm sure you'll eventually get there, if you try. Just don't spam.

Kethoticus
May 5, 2004, 03:05 AM
Spam? What've you got against spam? Why it's deeelishus and noootrishus!

Okay... that was really bad.

iBook
May 6, 2004, 09:30 AM

As best I can tell, the numbers correspond with the numbers assigned to Apple processors. I was wondering why so many people seemed to share the same number; I recall reading a post to that effect in another thread but I can't recall where.

mkrishnan
May 6, 2004, 11:16 AM
As best I can tell, the numbers correspond with the numbers assigned to Apple processors. I was wondering why so many people seemed to share the same number; I recall reading a post to that effect in another thread but I can't recall where.

Yeah, these are all old processors that were used on Apple computers...most of these are Motorolla products. All the 65xx's were used on the Apple I/II computers and maybe the Lisa, 68000 was the first Mac processor, and then 68010 (don't know if a Mac ever used this, I think some Amigas did), 68020, which is roughly like a '286, 68030 and 68040, and then the PowerPCs.... But the order of the titles goes the same as they were introduced into computing -- 6502 is older than the 68k's and the PPCs so it comes first. ;)

There is actually a thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37092&highlight=forum+titles

which explains them. There are probably a lot of people at 6502, just because it takes a long time to get the next 500 posts. :(

hotwire132002
May 6, 2004, 03:46 PM
...All the 65xx's were used on the Apple I/II computers and maybe the Lisa...

The Lisa used a 68000, like the original Macintosh.

Mord
May 11, 2004, 11:58 AM
well ijust got one and it kicks ass i'm wandering wether to have a starwars one or keep the current one any opinion?

Koodauw
May 11, 2004, 12:43 PM
Anyone here good at making avatars? I am looking for an animated one. kinda like agreensters. What programs do you use to make them?

Mr. Anderson
May 11, 2004, 01:05 PM
Anyone here good at making avatars? I am looking for an animated one. kinda like agreensters. What programs do you use to make them?

he used Maya (3D animation software)

mine is Lightwave, although at the current time, its not animated - maybe later

Photoshop and ImageReady are good for most - flash and export out the file as gif.

Good luck,

D

Doctor Q
May 11, 2004, 01:26 PM
I am looking for an animated one. kinda like agreensters.That's like saying "I wanna play golf, kinda like Tiger Woods" or "I want a girlfriend, kinda like Keira Knightley". :D agreenster is a professional and his avatar is about the best there is. I suggest starting with a less lofty goal, like 2D animation or even still images fading into each other. Oh course, I don't want to squash anyone's dreams. I'd love to master Maya and make my own 3D animations!

michaelrjohnson
May 11, 2004, 03:53 PM
i'll have one soon enough, and i have mine already picked out... the same thing i use for everything. my own "mark".

mkrishnan
May 12, 2004, 07:56 AM
well ijust got one and it kicks ass i'm wandering wether to have a starwars one or keep the current one any opinion?

I kinda like the Vader one. Has some charm. :) At least its not a character from Episode 1 or 2....

Danrose1977
May 12, 2004, 11:01 AM
I kinda like the Vader one. Has some charm. :) At least its not a character from Episode 1 or 2....

Yes it is! He just hasen't got a mask yet!

mkrishnan
May 13, 2004, 08:32 AM
Yes it is! He just hasen't got a mask yet!

OMG. Now I'm forced to hate him! Is nothing sacred in this world??? :)

agreenster
May 13, 2004, 02:00 PM
That's like saying "I wanna play golf, kinda like Tiger Woods" or "I want a girlfriend, kinda like Keira Knightley". :D agreenster is a professional and his avatar is about the best there is.

HA! That's funny. Last time I checked I was unemployed, so I guess that makes me an "aspiring" professional. Thanks for the compliment though. :rolleyes:

I guess, technically, I'm not unemployed, I'm just not employed in the 3D animation industry......YET!

Yet! Thats right, I said, YET!

YET YET YET!

michaelrjohnson
May 13, 2004, 08:07 PM
I guess, technically, I'm not unemployed, I'm just not employed in the 3D animation industry......YET!

Yet! Thats right, I said, YET!

YET YET YET!

forgive the off topic post...

you'll get work, i promise you. your skills are amazing.

Squire
May 14, 2004, 06:46 PM
That's like saying "I wanna play golf, kinda like Tiger Woods" or "I want a girlfriend, kinda like Keira Knightley". :D agreenster is a professional and his avatar is about the best there is. I suggest starting with a less lofty goal, like 2D animation or even still images fading into each other. Oh course, I don't want to squash anyone's dreams. I'd love to master Maya and make my own 3D animations!

Yeah, that's about the best one here. (I like the Vader one, too, by the way.)

Also off topic: I'm starting to see ads again. Does that mean my one-year subscription is up?

Squire

michaelrjohnson
May 19, 2004, 05:38 PM
i am having difficulty uploading an avatar. is there a reason why?

michaelrjohnson
May 19, 2004, 05:56 PM
i figured it out... i had to log out/in

Doctor Q
May 19, 2004, 06:15 PM
You didn't waste any time, michaelrjohnson. You were ready with your avatar right after your 500th post. But I cut myself on the edge of it. You should have done a better job in warning us about the sharp edges (jaggies). I'm calling my lawyer! :D

michaelrjohnson
May 19, 2004, 11:26 PM
You didn't waste any time, michaelrjohnson. You were ready with your avatar right after your 500th post. But I cut myself on the edge of it. You should have done a better job in warning us about the sharp edges (jaggies). I'm calling my lawyer! :D

yeah, well, my avatar has been a long time coming. i've been here a long time and didnt' start posting seriously until recently. so, lets just say that i was a bit antsy... :)

oh, and, dont tell me i didnt' warn you! :D

noel4r
May 20, 2004, 01:28 PM
500 posts? why so much? does it take a lot of work and space to give everybody that option?

Doctor Q
May 20, 2004, 01:51 PM
500 posts? why so much? does it take a lot of work and space to give everybody that option?No, but one (not the only) reason for avatars is to help identify those members who have been participating for a while, since they may "know the ropes". This of course isn't a reliable method for deciding who to trust for advice or whose opinion to give the most weight to in a discussion, but neither is any other method short of reading all of their previous posts.

The member "processor" rankings (under the member names) serve much the same purpose.

Given that you and everyone else can choose a member name, a signature, a photo for your member profile, and of course what to say in your posts, there are plenty of ways to show your personality/identity even before you get an avatar.

mkrishnan
May 21, 2004, 07:55 AM
If status symbols were easy to get, they wouldn't be status symbols... :D

(Now #$%!, where's my Benz?)

wordmunger
May 21, 2004, 08:06 AM
500 posts? why so much? does it take a lot of work and space to give everybody that option?
Here's my advice for how to get to 500. Start on a really big, really difficult project. Something that requires a lot of serious thought and and attention to detail. You'll find yourself posting 4 or 5 times a day on MacRumors while you procrastinate on your "serious" project. At least that's what happened to me. Now that I've finished my book, I don't post to MacRumors nearly as often. However, I'll be starting the next one in a couple weeks, so maybe you'll be seeing more of me here!

g30ffr3y
May 21, 2004, 09:01 AM
Here's my advice for how to get to 500. Start on a really big, really difficult project. Something that requires a lot of serious thought and and attention to detail. You'll find yourself posting 4 or 5 times a day on MacRumors while you procrastinate on your "serious" project. At least that's what happened to me. Now that I've finished my book, I don't post to MacRumors nearly as often. However, I'll be starting the next one in a couple weeks, so maybe you'll be seeing more of me here!

or you could start a month long soap opera fairy tale about your relations with women you steal from men they are about to move in with... it helps too if you work with her and that her best friend... who you also work with has been infatuated with you for the last two years... makes for fun comments and good times...

agreenster
May 21, 2004, 03:36 PM
or you could start a month long soap opera fairy tale about your relations with women you steal from men they are about to move in with... it helps too if you work with her and that her best friend... who you also work with has been infatuated with you for the last two years... makes for fun comments and good times...

Bad G30ffr3y! Bad! Bad!

Now go to your room.

Doctor Q
May 21, 2004, 11:29 PM
Anybody looking for a new avatar?

I think this would make an excellent one!

mkrishnan
May 21, 2004, 11:32 PM

Or you could start a flame war about how the powerbook is a poorly designed computer and post a lot of messages in all-caps. But by then you might have a wanted sign underneath your 'tar. :(

Or you could post relatively non-useful replies in threads about how to get avatars. Ahhh, the only problem with circular logic is circular logic. :)

Squire
May 22, 2004, 12:13 AM

Cool. Is it...ah...free? No licensing fees, etc?

Squire

Doctor Q
May 22, 2004, 11:24 AM
Cool. Is it...ah...free? No licensing fees, etc?Yes, but it comes "as is", despite needing some color touchup and scaling. It's definitely a "fixer upper"!

Mord
May 22, 2004, 12:19 PM

I walked out 30 mins into episode 1 i value my insanity :)

Squire
May 23, 2004, 08:32 AM

Thanks! I just resized it a bit and presto. Did you do that yourself or just find it somewhere?

Squire

Doctor Q
May 23, 2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks! I just resized it a bit and presto. Did you do that yourself or just find it somewhere?It's the makeshift Command key from the P-P-P-Powerbook that a fellow named Jeff Harris used to scam an e-Bay scammer. See MacRumors thread, the original thread at somethingawful.com (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1016390), or the summary at one of the mirrors shown in the first post at somethingawful.com, such as http://easynetworknyc.com/powerbook/.

The P-P-P-Powerbook is p-p-p-pretty well known now, and I just pointed out that the key would make a good avatar. So you are welcome to it, and you don't have to give me credit in your signature.

iChan
Jun 7, 2004, 06:41 PM

i have 500+ posts but i still can't get an avatar... annoying!

edit:

virividox
Jun 8, 2004, 02:02 PM
when i first came here not many people were
'tard but now there are so many hehe!!!

BaDBoY
Jun 12, 2004, 10:41 PM
wow.. been wondering why i couldnt get an avatar... well i got a long way to go :(

JOD8FY
Jun 13, 2004, 04:31 PM
I'm getting towards the 50% mark. I already have a pic picked out :p .

JOD8FY

Grimace
Jun 14, 2004, 12:21 PM
This is sorta similar to avatars -

I know I can change my picture, but can I change my screenname?? I looked around and it wasn't immediately obvious. :confused:

Sun Baked
Jun 14, 2004, 01:12 PM
This is sorta similar to avatars -

I know I can change my picture, but can I change my screenname?? I looked around and it wasn't immediately obvious. :confused:After a rush of people changing their names (by asking management to do it), arn stopped doing it.

PowerMacMan
Jun 14, 2004, 01:41 PM
350 something to go... I really wanna avatar... I think you should get once right when you become an official member or regular...

themadchemist
Jun 18, 2004, 01:04 PM

So true! My post count jumps dramatically during final exam week.