Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
What file format for Windows Media Player?
Hi
I have a client that want´s a "full" resolution copy of the film I made him.
(Originally shot 720P 50, edited in Final Cut)
He wants to put the fil on DVD´s to pass on to sponsors and he wants the file to be able to play in Windows Media Player.

What is the best file format to give him?

I also have the possibility to use Adobe Media Encoder as well as Compressor and ffmpeg .

Thanks

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
as most computers aren't really that updated I would make it a .wmv file. windows media player probably won't read much else (unless it's has the right codecs, but you need to download them, which most of computers don't know how to do).

Else you could make it to quicktime using H.264 and provide a copy of the VLC player installer on it. VLC eats everything. And does it more efficiently.

For the rest I can't help you. I think that there are other guys that know better which format to use.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Thanks, that´s what I feared.
I don´t have any encoder that can make .wmv files (as far as I know)
I would have to buy flip4mac or similar, and the HD version is $179 which I really don´t feel like buying just for this.

The VLC route is not a bad idea. I use VLC all the time and I´m quite happy with it (it does crash too often, specially when fast forwarding)

I could just make a folder with the H.264 file AND VLC vor windows on it.

Thanks

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Else you could make it to quicktime using H.264 and provide a copy of the VLC player installer on it. VLC eats everything. And does it more efficiently.

Is putting VLC on a "commercial" DVD like that even allowed under VLC's terms of service? You might have to get permission from the VLC guys ... or maybe just put a URL in a readme file.

ft

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I have to look into that. It would be less than 10 DVDs and used only as a thank you to sponsors, but you never know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.