Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm a professional event photographer and have been using Aperture since 1.0. It's by far the best tool for the kind of work that I do, allowing me to stay in Aperture 99% of the time without having to go into Photoshop.

However, features in iPhoto such as Events, Faces and Places and great Facebook integration have me wanting to use iPhoto as well.

I settled on using Aperture for all my professional jobs which I organize by Client/Venue/Year/Project and iPhoto for my personal photos.

There are however, projects that I consider both personal and professional. When I travel, I get some great professional photos of the landmarks and people of my destination. But as a vacation, these photos should also reside in my iPhoto library because there are photos of myself and my girlfriend.

I've looked for ways to do this but didn't want to have duplicate photos in both libraries.

I noticed a checkbox in iPhoto Preferences/Advanced: Copy items to iPhoto Library.

Well, if I uncheck that box, and copy photos from the Aperture browser into iPhoto, voilá, I get a referenced file, not a duplicate. If anything changes in the Aperture photo, it is reflected in iPhoto as well.

... but hang on a second. Does this mean that when I import photos into iPhoto from a camera or from within Mail, that once I disconnect that camera or delete that email, the photos will disappear from iPhoto?

Can anybody offer the answer to that question? Advice?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The photos won't disappear, but when you click on them, you'll get a ! symbol.

I have a similar setup, however I use the vastly superior Lightroom 2 program. For my amateur shots, taken with my DSLR, I use Lightroom. For my regular shots, taken with various P&S camera's over the last few years, I use iPhoto. When I make a jpeg out of my RAW files in Lightroom, I export the jpeg to a folder like "Finished Jpegs" and import that into iPhoto as well to show off my photography work. From there, I upload to Flickr for my photography and Facebook for my regular jpegs.

Dale Cooper

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2005
vastly superior Lightroom 2

Not sure that everyone agrees with that :p

As for the original topic, I'm not entiry sure what happens with images importet directly from a camera or mail (I'm guessing that camera imports are saved). What I do know is that the references from Aperture are only the "Preview", not the originals. Which is good or bad depending on what you plan to use them for I guess.

Personally, I import everything into aperture, and then import photos worthy of viewing/slideshow/face-tags etc to iPhoto. Partly because I prefer to use iPhoto for presenting photos but Aperture for editing/orginizing, partly
because (I haven't have the time to test this yet) it will allow me to share the whole library with my girlfriend (in Users/Shared).

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
Not sure that everyone agrees with that :p

As for the original topic, I'm not entiry sure what happens with images importet directly from a camera or mail (I'm guessing that camera imports are saved). What I do know is that the references from Aperture are only the "Preview", not the originals. Which is good or bad depending on what you plan to use them for I guess.

Personally, I import everything into aperture, and then import photos worthy of viewing/slideshow/face-tags etc to iPhoto. Partly because I prefer to use iPhoto for presenting photos but Aperture for editing/orginizing, partly
because (I haven't have the time to test this yet) it will allow me to share the whole library with my girlfriend (in Users/Shared).

I agree with LR2 being vastly superior:D

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
As long as I don't have to deal with Aperture 2's "make a duplicate file" for every RAW file I want to dodge & burn (hence the preparing blahblahblah for editing) then I concur with Lightroom 2 being vastly superior.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
The photos won't disappear, but when you click on them, you'll get a ! symbol.

I have a similar setup, however I use the vastly superior Lightroom 2 program. For my amateur shots, taken with my DSLR, I use Lightroom. For my regular shots, taken with various P&S camera's over the last few years, I use iPhoto. When I make a jpeg out of my RAW files in Lightroom, I export the jpeg to a folder like "Finished Jpegs" and import that into iPhoto as well to show off my photography work. From there, I upload to Flickr for my photography and Facebook for my regular jpegs.

I use a similar workflow.

1. Import photos to the computer using Canoe EOS Utility. The program organizes the files in folders by year/month/date.
2. Import photos into a catalogue in Lightroom. Note that LR only saves the information about file location, i.e., no duplicates are created, ever.
3. Perform simple batch corrections (e.g., sharpening, noise reduction,) by applying user presets that I found work well with my camera (T1i) and lenses.
4. Clone the photos from which I want to create crops. This is not necessary, since Lightroom does not modify the original file when cropping, but I like to keep both the cropped version and the original shot in the catalogue.
6. Crop cloned photos.
7. Rate photos from the last import.
8. Apply keywords to 4 & 5 star rated photos.
9. Export the 4 & 5 star photos to another folder (e.g., iPhoto Originals).
10. Import the photos from this location into iPhoto.

I find that with this workflow I only keep duplicates of the photos I really like, which has become a necessity of late because my iPhoto library has grown to over 60 GB and and is getting kind of slow to work with, even on a Mac Pro!

I tried Aperture and Lightroom at the same time (downloaded the trials), and I immediately fell in love with Lightroom. It's super fast, esthetically appealing, stable as a rock. Aperture, on the other hand, seemed sluggish in comparison and it crashed a few times on me. This sealed the deal for Lightroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.