PDA

View Full Version : heXbox...

AlphaTech
Jun 29, 2002, 10:36 AM
I was at the local Electonics Boutique last weekend, checking to see if anything new and hot had arrived in the game world. There was a guy standing in front of the heXbox TRYING to play Halo. From what I could see, the controlls were NOT intuitive at all. He kept getting killed because you couldn't aim and shoot fast enough. In my own experience, keyboard and mouse combinations ROCK for FPS games. You can aim a LOT faster with the mouse then any controller (especially on consoles). I also find it much easier to move with one hand, on the keyboard and aim with the mouse. It can make straffing runs really easy, and deadly.

Just my 10 worth, and thoughts on the heXbox.

I just hope that Halo comes out for the computer soon, so that I can blast things in it. DAMN YOU M$!!!!

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2002, 11:30 AM
First of all, let me tell you guys that I regret having and even thinking about playing games on a heXBox. :(

Second, I have never played the game Tech mentioned.

Third, in regard to controls, handling the controller seems a bit tough, since the controller looks best off as a digital desk clock, especially to coincide with it being so heavy. My hands get tired until I put the controller on something and continue to play.

My cousin has Playstation 2 and it's too bad I don't have it. Well, there is always an upcoming PS3. And no more crapsbox for me once it arrives. :)

sevag1
Jun 29, 2002, 01:12 PM
how about you actually try ******** playing it first before you say **** about it.. i have an xbox and it fkin rocks.. halo is the best.. and itsnot hard to play with the controller.. try playin it befoer you talk bud

MacAztec
Jun 29, 2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by sevag1
how about you actually try ******** playing it first before you say **** about it.. i have an xbox and it fkin rocks.. halo is the best.. and itsnot hard to play with the controller.. try playin it befoer you talk bud

Hey newb. Get the hell out of the forums if you are going to talk like this. He said it was his opinion...bud

Nobody wants you here, okay?

And another thing, you think the XBox rocks? I think it has too many copy protection laws. Cant even download a friggin game onto it, you have to go out and buy more and more.

And that is the problem with consoles.

sevag1
Jun 29, 2002, 03:22 PM
right.. your cool.. and im expressing what i think.. that people shoudlnt judge consoles or w/e without even playin it at first.. and callin it hexbox is just uber lame.. btw macaztec fu.

sevag1
Jun 29, 2002, 03:23 PM
its funny how you call me a f'n newb when i registered a couple months before you did.. so S T F U. and gg.

edesignuk
Jun 29, 2002, 03:27 PM
I can see the future...

* sevag1 will get a scorched a$$ when Alpha starts flaming him, everyone but sevag1 can't stop laughing :D *

Seriously, what is the matter with you?
There is no need for...
btw macaztec fu
I would say the same to you...but I'm not going to stoop that low :mad: :rolleyes:

wsteineker
Jun 29, 2002, 04:22 PM
Yo yo yo! Let's all stop the violence and get along! I'd HATE to have to rip the troll a new one. ;)

As for the Xbox.. It blows. I owned one, and sold it with four games (DOA 3, Project Gotham, Halo, and Gauntlet) for $150 just to get rid of it. Terribly designed deck, hideous controller layout, and overpriced accessories. Microsoft obviously has no idea what they're doing in consoleville. Didn't anyone see the sales numbers from E3? They need to cut their losses and get the hell out of the market before they start bleeding red ink from yet another division. I thought this console was supposed to be the next big thing. Guess not.

I'm perfectly happy with my new GameCube. Design is far better, controller is incredibly intuitive, and the games are just plain fun. I don't have to pay $30 for a memory card, either. Just my $.02.

firewire2001
Jun 29, 2002, 04:39 PM
i personally think the heXBOX controls are good -- but not intuitive at all...

the first time i had played halo, like you said alpha, i got whomped since it was hard as heck to figure out the controls. however, after a while i got adjusted and my experience with it was pretty good.

i think, however, that a games controls should be fairly easy to figure out..

however, i kinda diagree with alpha and the keyboard. i mean, i dont play many games on my computer cept for RPGs like SC, but i find it hard to use a keyboard to move around..

i heard a while ago that some people have been working on allowing us to use our brains like switches being able to control stuff... theyve trained monkeys to use it - they say controlling "the switches" are kinda like having an extra arm or whatever, you dont have to literally "think" about it. so basically they got these monkeys to control a mouse type thing -- they move around box or sumthing around a screen without actually touching anything -- just by "thinking" about it... i think this would be really cool for games if they could make it work.. kinda like the matrix, cept being conscious about it..

sevag1
Jun 29, 2002, 05:42 PM
omfg you guys are so uninformed its not even funny... you don't need memory cards with xbox. it has a built in Hard drive where you store saved games in, as well as music which you can play during games.. Gamecube lacks a dvd player and also has memory cards so i dont know wtf your talkin about cuz you cant save without a mem card for gamecube.... im sorry for bein such a jerk on my above posts but things like this just piss me off.

AlphaTech
Jun 29, 2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001
however, i kinda diagree with alpha and the keyboard. i mean, i dont play many games on my computer cept for RPGs like SC, but i find it hard to use a keyboard to move around..

Since I don't play RPGs much, but FPSs a ton, I won't comment [much] about the controller difference. I have played Starcraft before and found that the combination of keyboard and mouse pretty good. Then again, the computer controlls can be [easily] customized with tons of different options. How about the heXbox?? :p

sevag1, CHILL THE ***** OUT!!! Continuing to act like a total *******/troll WILL get you hurt here. I am stating MY take on the heXbox (which I WILL continue to reference it by). If you don't like what I have to say, or anyone else here that is 'dissing' the heXbox, then DON'T READ THE THREAD!!! NOBODY is forcing you to read here...

btw, you ARE a newbie (see the title below your handle... says "newbie" right there... :p Making posts like you have in this thread just support your newbie status. :rolleyes:

wsteineker
Jun 29, 2002, 06:30 PM
omfg you guys are so uninformed its not even funny... you don't need memory cards with xbox. it has a built in Hard drive where you store saved games in, as well as music which you can play during games.. Gamecube lacks a dvd player and also has memory cards so i dont know wtf your talkin about cuz you cant save without a mem card for gamecube.... im sorry for bein such a jerk on my above posts but things like this just piss me off.

Ok douche bag, here we go. I know you don't NEED a memory card for the Xbox, but it is necessary to have one if you want your game data to be at all mobile. I can't imagine that it's very convenient to drag the whole deck along and set up a lan just to get your saved Halo data to your friend's Xbox. You dig? And since it's such a handy accessory, Microsoft feels the need to charge TWICE the standard rate for it. $30 is ABSURD.

Second, I don't need my Gamecube to play DVDs. That's why I have a DVD player. And it's not exactly like the Xbox plays DVDs out of the box, either. For that capability you must purchase yet another overpriced Microsoft accessory. It's not exactly like the system is a bargain or something.

Finally, it's painfully obvious that you can't handle yourself like an adult, so I'd suggest that you take it easy for fear of finding yourself flamed to a crisp. Got me little man?

AlphaTech
Jun 29, 2002, 06:49 PM
wsteineker, damn dude, you make this demi-god proud... :D

wsteineker
Jun 29, 2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
wsteineker, damn dude, you make this demi-god proud... :D

Wow. Thanks Alpha. I am incredibly honored. My mom always told me I'd grow up to do something great... :D

I guess now I can stop living in constant fear of you and start to join in the fun a little bit more. YES!!!!!!!!!!

sevag1
Jun 29, 2002, 07:11 PM
alpha... continueing to act this way will get me hurt on here? k.. lmao... i feel sorry for you guys

wsteineker
Jun 29, 2002, 07:18 PM
alpha... continueing to act this way will get me hurt on here? k.. lmao... i feel sorry for you guys

Balls the size of boulders and a brain no bigger than a chickpea...what a dangerous combination. You NEED to watch your mouth around here. I think it's safe to say that while Alpha may be the big dog on this block, he's certainly not the only one who knows how to bite. If things continue on this path I'm pretty damn sure that you'll find yourself with a new a**hole, son. Watch yourself, and consider this fair warning. We've tolerated you long enough.

Go away, or I shall taunt you another time.

sevag1
Jun 29, 2002, 09:01 PM
im just curious to what you guys will do "if i continue on this path" ..

Beigean
Jun 29, 2002, 09:32 PM
sevag1, it's pointless now for you to keep posting. if i were in your position i would be annoyed to death, and annoyance is enough for me to find something else to do.

you could, for instance, go play halo.

LethalWolfe
Jun 29, 2002, 09:33 PM
sorry to get this thread back on topic, but oh well...

I played Halo at my local EB and the controls weren't that bad IMO. Definetly no KB&M, but I don't think there is anything better than a KB&M for most games. It only took me 15min or so to get used to the controls. My only real complaint was that it took forever and a day to move around (turn, aim etc.,) but that can be easily fixed if there are any "sensitivity" <sp?> controls in the Options section.

BTW, AT, I think the guy you saw playing was the problem;), not Halo.

Lethal

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by wsteineker
I guess now I can stop living in constant fear of you and start to join in the fun a little bit more. YES!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have to become a Sith and join the Dark Side of the forums to join the fun, where we make up our own campfire songs about burning newbies on sticks! :D Muhahahahaha! :eek:

firewire2001
Jun 29, 2002, 11:40 PM
Since I don't play RPGs much, but FPSs a ton, I won't comment [much] about the controller difference. I have played Starcraft before and found that the combination of keyboard and mouse pretty good. Then again, the computer controlls can be [easily] customized with tons of different options. How about the heXbox??

yeah.. your definately right about custimozation and stufferz...

umm.. sorry for being such a n00b, i dont play too many games... so what is an FPS game? does it mean "First Person Shooter"?

job
Jun 29, 2002, 11:46 PM

hmmm....a bit brainwashed isn't he. :D

AlphaTech
Jun 30, 2002, 12:02 AM
yeah.. your definately right about custimozation and stufferz...

umm.. sorry for being such a n00b, i dont play too many games... so what is an FPS game? does it mean "First Person Shooter"?

You got the FPS meaning correct first try. :eek: Since Halo is a FPS the controls should be made so that you can quickly aim and fire. That is where a mouse cannot be beat (or even a tablet if you want to shell out the $$ for one). I find the mouse look and then direction of walking with the keyboard a snap.

AlphaTech
Jun 30, 2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by hitman
hmmm....a bit brainwashed isn't he. :D

He's just had his brain washed, and can't do a thing with it :D :D

firewire2001
Jun 30, 2002, 12:10 AM
That is where a mouse cannot be beat (or even a tablet if you want to shell out the $$ for one). I find the mouse look and then direction of walking with the keyboard a snap.

wow.. dangit, i never thought of using a pad -- that must be so freakin awesome! have you ever tried it?

also, come to think of it i used to play UT a bit a few years ago and you are right -- it really is easier to use a mouse and keyboard rather than a controller, as i have tried both.. a controller doesnt give you as much quick movement, like a mouse does...

AlphaTech
Jun 30, 2002, 12:23 AM
wow.. dangit, i never thought of using a pad -- that must be so freakin awesome! have you ever tried it?

also, come to think of it i used to play UT a bit a few years ago and you are right -- it really is easier to use a mouse and keyboard rather than a controller, as i have tried both.. a controller doesnt give you as much quick movement, like a mouse does...

Someone else posted about using a tablet for playing games a while back. I don't want to blow the money to get one, since I wouldn't have any other use for it.

UT is a prime example of where the keyboard/mouse combo shines. Just about all FPS games function the same, and lend themselves very well to that combo. I have tried some FPS games with either a console type controller, or on consoles before, and it just blows (and not in the good way either ;)).

job
Jun 30, 2002, 12:31 AM

He's just had his brain washed, and can't do a thing with it :D :D

roflmao!!!
Those comments were harsh, cruel and unusual..........., and he deserves every bit of it. :D

AlphaTech
Jun 30, 2002, 12:39 AM

roflmao!!!
Those comments were harsh, cruel and unusual..........., and he deserves every bit of it. :D

Gotta love his comment about "I'm not a newbie since I registered" back whenever he did... :rolleyes: You could have registered back when the site first came online, if you didn't post, then you are still a newbie. Under 30 posts=newbie. Sort of the like whiners we saw a little bit back.

job
Jun 30, 2002, 03:23 AM

Gotta love his comment about "I'm not a newbie since I registered" back whenever he did... :rolleyes: You could have registered back when the site first came online, if you didn't post, then you are still a newbie. Under 30 posts=newbie. Sort of the like whiners we saw a little bit back.

Amen to that. And to think just a few days ago, I was a complete and utter n00b myself :D

AlphaTech
Jun 30, 2002, 10:59 AM
Amen to that. And to think just a few days ago, I was a complete and utter n00b myself :D

Aye, you've gone from being a newbie to being a member... :D

eyelikeart
Jun 30, 2002, 11:44 AM
First off...u really need to tone down your language here. No one was using that type of language towards u.

Second, these are opinions. Everyone gets heated about things, but damn...if u cannot talk about it without cursing someone out then u need to just not reply.

Third, I won't feel sorry for u when Alpha's done with u. U asked for it...

now can we all start acting like adults and just play fair?! :rolleyes:

firewire2001
Jun 30, 2002, 04:18 PM
hey.. while we're (kinda) on the topic of n00bs, members, etc...

what comes after "Macrumors Regular"? how many post do you have when yer there?

edesignuk
Jun 30, 2002, 04:20 PM
hey.. while we're (kinda) on the topic of n00bs, members, etc...

what comes after "Macrumors Regular"? how many post do you have when yer there?
"6502" is your next stop, check out this (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=6599) thread for all the answers :D

coolocity
Jul 2, 2002, 08:42 AM
I was at the local Electonics Boutique last weekend, checking to see if anything new and hot had arrived in the game world. There was a guy standing in front of the heXbox TRYING to play Halo. From what I could see, the controlls were NOT intuitive at all. He kept getting killed because you couldn't aim and shoot fast enough. In my own experience, keyboard and mouse combinations ROCK for FPS games. You can aim a LOT faster with the mouse then any controller (especially on consoles). I also find it much easier to move with one hand, on the keyboard and aim with the mouse. It can make straffing runs really easy, and deadly.

Just my 10 worth, and thoughts on the heXbox.

I just hope that Halo comes out for the computer soon, so that I can blast things in it. DAMN YOU M$!!!!

Alright, I'll admit Halo took me a while to get used to, but any good gamer can adjust to any controller, it's just a matter of time. Definately worth it in my opinion, I own an xbox, and halo. I must say it's the best FPS I've ever played, console or computer. It will definately rock hard on the mac though, especially if they include a level editor. Hehe, would be fun playing something like 'the edge' on the halo engine. All you quake players know what I'm talking about, at least I hope you do.

Anyway, I'm selling my xbox to afford my new mac - can't wait for the Halo port.

- John

ackpth
Jul 13, 2002, 11:51 PM
if you didn't post, then you are still a newbie. Under 30 posts=newbie.

Just happened to stumble upon this thread, and thought i'd make a few comments..

You guys are really pathetic. Sure he was out of line, but that dosen't mean you all have to wage war on the poor guy. And it certainly dosen't mean you have to make an a**hole out of yourself calling people newbies. Maybe he asked for it comparing the dates of registration, but saying that you have to post 30 times before anything you say has value is not just absurd but incredibly pretentious.

Also, since when is watching over somones shoulder for 2 minutes enough of a basis to form an opinion on a game, or for that matter an entire console. I'm not saying i love the xbox, but halo is a great game. And if you'd just give it a chance instead of waving your nose in the air maybe you'd realize it.

While we're counting, this is my second post.

ArtMan617
Jul 14, 2002, 09:12 AM
While we're on the topic of "n00bs" and your number of posts, could anyone give me a list of what you get after so many posts? All I know at the moment is that you get your avatar at 500....

-ArtMan617

jelloshotsrule
Jul 14, 2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ackpth
Just happened to stumble upon this thread, and thought i'd make a few comments.....

i agree. the guy got way too fired up about alpha's stated opinion/experience..... however, the idea of threatening him seems kinda dumb. telling him he really better watch what he say "or else".. it's dumb. are you going to track him down and beat his ass? or just make comments on the internet?

think about it. if he's that much of an ass, is he worth wasting your time on? is he really gonna be hurt if several people on here trash him verbally over the internet? come on.

as for halo/xbox. halo's great. great replay value in my opinion. xbox itself is pretty good. amped is probably the second best game i've played for it and recently morrowind is pretty cool. then again, i've started to get much more into mac games and playing those what with wc3, medal of honor, castle wolf, etc...

either way it's entertaining enough