PDA

View Full Version : Mac Friendly Colleges?

Macmaniac
May 3, 2004, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know if there is a list of Mac friendly colleges? I have begun looking for colleges, and the one thing I know is that I want a college that uses/supports macs, and has a good tech policy, no Nazi like tech policies that are clamping down on the internet. Help please!

JzzTrump22
May 3, 2004, 08:28 PM
University at Buffalo (New York) has a connection to a mac store. It's on the apple website under education.

OutThere
May 3, 2004, 08:43 PM
If the college is clamping down on internet use, and requiring PCs, just find someone who has an extremely ancient PC that they are willing to give away or sell for less than 100 bucks, and add an extra ethernet card ($5-$15). Then plug the PC into the ethernet, and your computer into the other ethernet port, and then find a guide online on how to turn the PC into a network bridge. The uni. will be none to the wiser that you are using a mac on their internet connection. :D

varmit
May 3, 2004, 08:50 PM
Penn State, we have the apple store too. And I think it is the graduate students in comp sci major get Powerbooks. Everything including the wireless on campus, which requires vpn connector, is supported by the IT staff here. We have a couple mac only labs, and almost every computer labs on campus has Macs. The Mac PR guy, talked with him a couple times, said that PSU and Apple have a very good partnership, with PSU spending about 1 million with them every year for new equipment. This summer I know of a Mac lab being installed in the new IST building. Other than that I don't know of any other purchases. I think the deal includes 20 Powermacs for media stuff, and a bunch of xserves to do some clustering, I don't know the details.

7on
May 3, 2004, 09:11 PM
You could always come to Truman State University. We be the shiznit.

acidrock
May 3, 2004, 09:28 PM
I know that American Uni in DC has a lot of macs and new one's at that, hell they are probably running panther on all their computers. I attend Evergreen, and they still have jaguar. We need more macs though, this school is dominated by PC's. I was in DC this past summer, where I"m from, doing an internship, and used some of the computers at AU. I found only one guy on campus that didn't have the newest version of the OS. --

Toppa G's
May 3, 2004, 09:34 PM
The University of Wisconsin - Stout (Menomonie, WI - an hour east of Mpls/St. Paul, MN) has three majors or so for which all incoming students are required to have PowerBooks (leased at $500/semester). Majors with this requirement are Graphic Communications Management (GCM), Art & Design, and Technical Communications. All other majors receive Compaq laptops at $500/semester. The campus is wireless-equipped, with a good signal available almost anywhere. The GCM labs are also equipped with G5s and high-end G4s. The bookstore on campus is an Apple Authorized Reseller, however, that may not last much longer, since all incoming students are required to have laptops anyway.

The laptops are leased from the school, and may not be modified physically. After two years, the students are given new laptops. An option for students to purchase the laptops after two years was discussed but determined to be cost-prohibitive.

wowser
May 3, 2004, 09:42 PM
University of California (all the campuses) are very Mac friendly - Perhaps have more Macs than PCs

sethwerkheiser
May 3, 2004, 09:55 PM
Not sure of their policies, but while visiting the Yale campus one day I saw in their law library a bunch of sexy iMacs.

varmit
May 3, 2004, 10:14 PM
The computers in the Hub, at Penn State, that are for students to use real quick while passing though are all iMacs. So are the directory computers in the Hub. Computer Store has a full display of many Macs and we have cheap Mac software. Got iLife for about $29, Panther for free.

phonemonkey
May 3, 2004, 10:28 PM
Radford University is, as well as Virginia Tech.
Go Hokies

armchainmstenw
May 3, 2004, 10:28 PM
CMU (Pittsburgh) is pretty mac friendly.

Krizoitz
May 3, 2004, 11:31 PM
Stanford was pretty Mac friendly. Here at the UW we have a decent number of Macs, most of them G5's with Cinema displays. We have more PC's but its fine for me, they are alway sin use and there are always free macs. USC was pretty Mac friendly, the bookstore was an authorized Apple dealer.

acidrock
May 4, 2004, 12:38 AM
what is it you're looking for? Why?

Espnetboy3
May 4, 2004, 12:41 AM
i got to briarcliffe college in bethpage NY and all we use are macs, just got 3 classrooms of g5's , they took out the g4's the rest of the rooms have g4s' outa lets say 40 classrooms
25 have g4's or g5's
school majors in graphic design and animation/

Illmatic
May 4, 2004, 02:35 AM
first to acidrock...I went to AU for 3 years and transferred last year because of their horrible multimedia program and unbelievably undertrained staff on macs. My girlfriend is still there and says nothing has changed as far as the macs go.
Anyways to answer the original question a friend goes to Emory in Atlanta and was told she can only have a Mac because their entire campus is Airport Extreme...I haven't been their to visit her but those who have say that it is a Mac lovers dream. Hope it helps.

LoneGman
May 4, 2004, 03:02 AM
Pacific University (www.pacificu.edu) in Forest Grove, Or. has a lab filled with brand-new Macs. They upgrade like twice a year, I think. Great stuff... And yeah, most of the UC schools are very Mac-friendly. :)

-- Michael Bankston, AKA "LoneGman"

Daveman Deluxe
May 4, 2004, 03:42 AM
Oregon State University is very friendly toward Macs. There are several Mac labs, one of them is a multimedia lab with a bunch of dual 2 GHz G5s and Studio Displays. There's a lot more Windows boxes than Macs, but Macs aren't hard to find and are officially supported.

seamuskrat
May 4, 2004, 08:59 AM
USC and UCLA have many macs, and have a pro mac environment including a lot of wireless for leiti staff and students.

Many universities like the entire CalState system are moving to VLAN by Cisco. That is most definately Mac unfriendly. Although not intentional 9in most cases) the fact that they move to these virtual secure networks tends to exclude the minority of Mac users. Macs CAN be made to work on them, but its difficult and requires extra support the schools cannot provide (ignorance mostly).

Yale has a very nice Mac population and wireless area, although I do not think they 'officially' endorse Macs like some schools. UPenn is good, as is Tufts for Macs.

As an asdie UCLA actually subsidizes student purchases of Macs. They are 2 to 3 hundred less than Apple Store for Education. Its a great Deal.

mikeyredk
May 4, 2004, 09:13 AM
don't base your choice if your machine is compatable, that is always fixable. you can't fix the school if it suxs. you didn't even list what your possible major options are some of theses schools have big advantages in some areas where in others they totally suck.

mykemp
May 4, 2004, 09:14 AM
Go Hokies

Va Tech should be... they have the PowerMac super computer :)

krimson
May 4, 2004, 09:21 AM
USC and UCLA have many macs, and have a pro mac environment including a lot of wireless for leiti staff and students.
As an asdie UCLA actually subsidizes student purchases of Macs. They are 2 to 3 hundred less than Apple Store for Education. Its a great Deal.

i see professors with PB's all the time when I go pick up the gf.
(except for the law students)

the_wallcrawler
May 4, 2004, 09:37 AM
the communication department at michigan state had tons of macs. the digital media arts lab in particular was completely mac. when i was there they just bought dual processor 1ghz g4s with flat panel displays. and before that they had g3 towers. its possible now they have g5s.

other than that i think the majority of the campus was pc. the library definitely was.

7on
May 4, 2004, 10:20 AM
I forgot, you all better be using Rendezvous iChat on those campuses of yours. I know the IT Mac techinition here at Truman is usually on during business hours so I get to alert him of "stuff". Like AFS quit working for a while (still's not quite right however) and QT movies wouldn't download. Anyhoo, it's pretty handy.

goodwill
May 4, 2004, 10:40 AM
Baylor University has an Apple Store as very very accomadating wireless internet for free use all over the campus. Baylor was just ranked very respectfully for its array of efforts to help network the entire campus wirelessly. As many colleges I am sure use already, most of Baylor's professors use lecture based, homework based and grade based programs via the internet to enhance their course. I have not taken one class that has not demanded me to use the internet regarding a course.

Muskie
May 4, 2004, 10:58 AM
The University of Wisconsin - Stout (Menomonie, WI - an hour east of Mpls/St. Paul, MN).......

Yes Stout is awesome. I'm going next year for Graphic Design (Art and Design) :D

The wireless campus + PBs will be great.

baby duck monge
May 4, 2004, 11:17 AM
carleton college (about 40 miles south of minneapolis/st paul) is pretty mac friendly. probably around half the computers on campus (this includes both labs and personal computers) are mac, so there is plenty of support.

over the summer they are going to be replacing a lot of the older computers with g5s, so that will be sweet. also, making most of the final preparations for the internet2 (which will be totally up and running in hopefully around a year - thanks, hamline, for going ahead and starting up with it to give us somewhere to tap in to!) :D

Westside guy
May 4, 2004, 02:00 PM
Stanford was pretty Mac friendly. Here at the UW we have a decent number of Macs, most of them G5's with Cinema displays. We have more PC's but its fine for me, they are alway sin use and there are always free macs. USC was pretty Mac friendly, the bookstore was an authorized Apple dealer.

UW = University of Washington :) (just for clarity's sake)

UW is quite Unix-heavy at the campus computing level of things; and a lot of the Unix-heads have Powerbooks or iBooks - that helps a lot. Also as Krizoitz said, those G5s sitting there in the student computing center at Mary Gates Hall (ha ha!) are generally available. (And they sure look purty, especially next to the Dell boxes in there)

On the other hand our Computer Science department is a Microsoft shop. That's likely due to the amount of money Bill and Paul have given them. As an aside, it was kinda funny a couple years ago when their DNS routers got "0wn3d". :D

Macmaniac
May 4, 2004, 04:10 PM
All I wanted to know was about Mac Friendly Colleges, I have not decided on a major or school yet, I'm just looking for some advice. Its probably going to be a Liberal Arts school in the NorthEast, it has to have a good history department, and maybe film/video as well. I liked that idea of using a PC in front of my Mac to hide its identity:)

acidrock
May 4, 2004, 05:19 PM
All I wanted to know was about Mac Friendly Colleges, I have not decided on a major or school yet, I'm just looking for some advice. Its probably going to be a Liberal Arts school in the NorthEast, it has to have a good history department, and maybe film/video as well. I liked that idea of using a PC in front of my Mac to hide its identity:)

you might want to look at amherst in Mass. I have a friend that went there and it's a liberal arts college.

pinto32
May 4, 2004, 05:38 PM
Kutztown University (near Allentown, PA) is very Mac friendly, to the point where it actually has more Macs than PCs. This summer, almost every computer on campus is being replaced, and will be running OS 10.3 and XP. A new wireless network is being installed, as well as residential and acedemic buildings getting seperate (but linkable, in an emergency) networks, to minimize downtime due to windows viruses. The bookstore is an Apple authorized reseller.
While there is not a leasing program for laptops, it is possible to sign out iBooks and Powerbooks from the AV center (PC notebooks must stay within library).

The school is a mid-sized state college. It has a large art program (including Communication Design, among others). There is a very good film/broadcasting department as well (the reason that our library has about 100 Macs in it :-)) I was a history major for 2 semesters before switching to biology, and I can attest that they have several very good professors within the department (one of whom was an advisor for the movie "Gods and Generals").

For info, go to: kutztown.edu

r6girl
May 4, 2004, 06:05 PM
when i was at cornell university (ithaca, ny), it was primarily a mac campus, but i'm not sure if that's changed since then (i graduated in the mid-90's). looking back, it was pretty cool - most of the computer labs were full of macs with just 2 or 3 pc's off to the side. ah, the good ol' days! now i'm surrounded by pc's at work every single day. will the insanity ever end?

i'd highly recommend my alma mater (or do i need to go to that thread on the ivy league to do that? :D ) if you're thinking of majoring in history or film (check out the college of arts and sciences there).

marianne

Blackheart
May 4, 2004, 07:05 PM

UW is quite Unix-heavy at the campus computing level of things; and a lot of the Unix-heads have Powerbooks or iBooks - that helps a lot. Also as Krizoitz said, those G5s sitting there in the student computing center at Mary Gates Hall (ha ha!) are generally available. (And they sure look purty, especially next to the Dell boxes in there)

On the other hand our Computer Science department is a Microsoft shop. That's likely due to the amount of money Bill and Paul have given them. As an aside, it was kinda funny a couple years ago when their DNS routers got "0wn3d". :D

Yeah, I love it how there will be a line for the Dells at Mary Gates Hall and there will be plenty of G5s open.

But yeah, if you wanted to see what our setups are like here at the UW, here's a link:

http://depts.washington.edu/sacg/facilities/labs/techinfo.shtml

trebblekicked
May 4, 2004, 07:09 PM

i went to carnegie-mellon university in pittsburgh for a couple of years. i majored in ethics, history and public policy with a certificate focus in multimedia production (a related program available through the philosophy program). good program, good department and very mac friendly. printing services were top notch (including basically free access to dyesubs and large format bannerjets).

they have a relationship with pittsburgh filmmakers, the local filmmaking commune, that provides a very unique learning experience. PF has tons of free film equipment available for loan (after you pay the lab fees, of course), including lights (up to 2K's), pods, cams, mags, cables, mics, audio decks, editing suites (table, wall, fcp, avid), pretty much everything you'd need to do a 16mm or Super-16 shoot (as well as a new video program).

links:
Carnegie-Mellon University (http://www.cmu.edu)
CMU computer services (http://www.cmu.edu/computing/)
Pittsburgh Filmmakers (http://www.pghfilmmakers.org/)

Krizoitz
May 4, 2004, 09:38 PM

Atleast they aren't stuck in Sieg Hall anymore, heh. The new CS building is pretty slick.

dukemeiser
May 4, 2004, 11:02 PM
Iowa State University is Mac friendly, although not completely Mac. They have PCs too.

brianellisrules
May 5, 2004, 07:45 PM
Go Hokies
Things have changed? I dunno, when I enrolled (class of 2000) all the engineering students were required to have pc's (aka computers running windows). A few years later they made it mandatory for all students to have computers... but I'm not sure if they mandated windows or not... I think it'd be pretty silly if they did. Then again, there's the Math Emporium which has like a gozillion iMacs....

poopyhead
May 5, 2004, 09:24 PM
first to acidrock...I went to AU for 3 years and transferred last year because of their horrible multimedia program and unbelievably undertrained staff on macs. My girlfriend is still there and says nothing has changed as far as the macs go.
Anyways to answer the original question a friend goes to Emory in Atlanta and was told she can only have a Mac because their entire campus is Airport Extreme...I haven't been their to visit her but those who have say that it is a Mac lovers dream. Hope it helps.

I went to emory and it is very mac friendly, amazingly mac friendly, in fact for undergrad they prefer macs but you dont have to have one. they even sell macs at the "disc o' duc" and provide comprehensive tech support. my freshman year they had pcs for internet access only everything else was a brand new blue and white G3, they were beautiful. I'll never forget how I spent 20mins (my first mac experience since an apple II in middle school) in a writing lab attempting to get my disc back (there was no external eject button on the drive). I felt like an idiot.

jdogg707
May 5, 2004, 09:48 PM
Western Carolina University...we loves Macs in the mountains!

Counterfit
May 6, 2004, 12:53 AM
you might want to look at amherst in Mass. I have a friend that went there and it's a liberal arts college. *cough*PARTY SCHOOL*cough* :p

Okay, music is a fine art rather than a liberal art, but I have a few friends at Berklee (www.berklee.edu). One's a former Mac basher, but now loves his PB.

djbahdow01
May 6, 2004, 01:14 AM
Barry University (Miami Florida) is. As we have a Photo/Graphics lab with some 400 MHz G4s and will be upgraded to the G5's hopefully by this Fall semester. As for the Tech department causing problems i am good friends with most of the tech department and have asked about network problems as i am getting a G5 this summer. They said i will have no problems with it, and i know a lot of people that own a mac and are on the network with out a problem. Also if you have wireless internet on a PB or iBook the school is mostly wireless except for some of the older dorms.

MacFan26
May 6, 2004, 01:25 AM
University of Arizona is Mac friendly. They have a certified Mac repair center in the Student Union and I see lots of people with around with their laptops. As a CS major, a majority of our computers are Windows, but there are Mac labs in the science and arts departments. There also isn't too much of that "you're stupid because you have a mac" feeling. Overall I'd say it's pretty Mac friendly.

flyfish29
May 6, 2004, 06:54 AM
What school is Mac friendly? Any college that has a philosphy where they just want people to learn about life...not about fixing PC's! No, really, like another said, base you decision on major and what the school can offer you. Obviously if you are wanting to get into design or something based on a Mac then you WOULD want to base you decision on computer platform, but if not, then base it on what the school can offer you, then make the technology offeriings work for you.

Let us know what you are wanting to do with your life...besides work on a mac.

Good luck.