Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davemulheran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
UK - London/Kent
Hey all,

Ive just bought an ATV and yesterday I installed XBMC. Its pretty cool and nearly exactly like plex!

Quick question, can you specify the locations where XBMC looks up tv show data / film data? I specify my sources, ie tv show / film / music video.. but there are a load of crap places that XBMC searches from.. i'd like to cut some of them out. Is this possible?

also.. 720 mkv files work flawlessly. I am streaming from my iMac downstairs to my ATV upstairs.. no probs at all. I thought 720 was a no go on ATV?

all in all, i'm impressed. Although the ATV isnt as smooth as scrolling etc as my mini is with plex downstairs.. but i guess that is because the mini is a 2.26ghz computer and the ATV.. well..... isnt!

kadeschs

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Actually, ATV may have problems with 720p depending on how the video is formatted. For example, ATV doesn't handle video formatted in frames of over 24fps very well. Look on the Apple website for exact format specifications that it supports. Beefing up the processor and doubling the RAM would probably fix these sort of problems. Yes, 1080p is also not supported either.

cracy

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
1080p

hi everybody ...
i am a little bit confused .. yes i also had issues with playing 1080p mkv files on atv but yesterday i downloaded some 1080p trailers and put it on the box .. and the files are running fine with no issues ???
does anyone know why ?
and yes they are really 1080p files (trailers approx. 4 min.)
regards

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I tried playing some Band of Brothers episodes at 1080p, and they made my AppleTV choke like none other, and this was both over the network and off the local ATV hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.