Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windsail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Hi all,
Glad I found you. I am having a problem with connecting my old G3 (beige 300) my first computer, to my new G4. I am not a pro so I really don't have much experience. I have tried a connection with a cat 5 ethernet cable but don't know what comes next. I have opened sharing and entered the right numbers and password etc. but am still refused a connection. I'm not even sure the G4 is finding the G3. I'm really stumped and would much appreciate any guidance. Thanks much, windsail

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm guessing you need a cross over cable. That's what you need to use if you are going straight from one computer to another. You use a regular etherenet cable if you are going into a router or a hub. Crossovers aren't expensive either; it's basically a regular ethernet cable with one end sorta flipped upside down so the wires cross over into the opposite sides. Sorry, I'm getting confusing.

Just ask for a crossover cable. Any computer place should know what you are talking about.

P-Worm

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
A new G4 will auto-sense a normal cat 5 cable so there's no need for a crossover. I'm not sure when they started using these, but it was over a couple years ago.

G4 is running Panther? How about the G3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.