Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I was looking at the price of upgrading a $799 eMac with 1 GB of ram. It cost $225. From what I read from these boards, everyone says Apple is too expensive and most recommend buying memory from Crucial. I checked out http://www.crucial.com for eMac memory and it's $113.99 per 512 MB. So I'll pay $227.98 for what Apple will charge me $225. I know if I buy from Crucial then I can sell the Apple's 256 MB for a few bucks but I was expecting the memory to be half what Apple charges.

Is Apple considered ok to buy memory from nowdays?

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
BornAgainMac said:
I was looking at the price of upgrading a $799 eMac with 1 GB of ram. It cost $225. From what I read from these boards, everyone says Apple is too expensive and most recommend buying memory from Crucial. I checked out http://www.crucial.com for eMac memory and it's $113.99 per 512 MB. So I'll pay $227.98 for what Apple will charge me $225. I know if I buy from Crucial then I can sell the Apple's 256 MB for a few bucks but I was expecting the memory to be half what Apple charges.

I've actually heard a rumor that Apple uses Crucial repackaged RAM. Probably wrong though. Of course you can go with Apple RAM. If it's the same price, why not? They'll install it for you, and they will have to stand behind it as well. Better deal if you ask me.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
FYI, I bought one of the new eMacs a couple weeks back. Ordered some memory fro Crucial and it didn't work. Kept crashing the system. Went to CompUSA and got theright stuff for only $70 per 512 (after rebate). Works great. I've had many positive experiences with Crucial in the past, so I just assume they sent me the wrong stuff.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Sometimes RAM is just bad. Crucial has sent me RAM before that would crash my system whenever the load got heavy. But the Crucial RAM checked out with every diagnostic I tried. I moved the Crucial RAM to the first DIMM slot and the system wouldn't even boot. So I sent it back and they sent a replacement. The replacement works fine.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
Yeah, generally the advice is to stay away from Apple RAM because the cost is normally so much higher, but it seems that recently, the price for iBook and eMac RAM from Apple has been competitive compared to quality Kingston or Crucial RAM.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Yeah, they seem to be pushing the RAM deals a lot lately throughout their product line. I spose it works for them in two ways. You can squeeze out some more bottom line profits while at the same time sending a marginally better system out in an ever increasing tech-critical world.

Providing the deals on RAM still exist, I may go with 'Apple' RAM next time I purchase hardware.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
BornAgainMac said:

You forgot to factor in that the $799 already includes 256MB of RAM. The cheapest option is to upgrade from 256 to 512 from Apple for $75 and buy the other 512 from Crucial (or elsewhere) for $113.99. That adds up to $188.99, which is $36 cheaper than Apple.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Crucial is cheaper, but the EMac uses **** for memory unlike the expensive fast ddr memory used in my Powermac g5, powerbook g4. Apple is samsung memory which is pretty good, but the low end emac memory( because the emac is an ultra low end apple)

BornAgainMac said:

CombatWombat

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2004
Memory prices in general have been going up and cricial reflects this. Apple does not seem to change their memory prices to reflect market trends. I know in the last month or two the price of a 1 gig SO-DIMM for a Powerbook increased from 300 to 475 at Crucial.

MitchJi

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
Buy a refurb

Hi,

Save a couple hundred on one of these refurb's (available now, don't know for how long) and then save an additional $40 with Crucial Ram:
eMac 1GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/E/56K - Refurbished $799.00
eMac 1GHz/128MB/40GB/Combo/56K - Refurbished $599.00

Mitch

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
miloblithe said:
You forgot to factor in that the $799 already includes 256MB of RAM. The cheapest option is to upgrade from 256 to 512 from Apple for $75 and buy the other 512 from Crucial (or elsewhere) for $113.99. That adds up to $188.99, which is $36 cheaper than Apple.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll just have Apple install 512 and I'll get the other 512 on my own. I think Apple tends to price their products at a fixed price for a period of time while other vendors will change their prices depending on market conditions. Next month, Crucial may charge 50% less than Apple while Apple will keep their price fixed until the next major release comes out.

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
What are you doing that you really need the gig of ram for that 768 won't do? I'd just as soon have that, and then you're only going to have to pay crucial for the extra 512. Then, you could also just go to a mac store if there are any near you and not even have to wait for a custom system. Then at some point if you still feel you really need that extra 256, you can still try selling it, or at least find somewhere to make some sort of interesting trade to get rid of your old stick and get a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.