View Full Version : 1Pc 3 Macs 1 Airport and Me...
May 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
OK heres the deal... Sorry for any spelling mistakes I need to go fast... I have a pc with all my movies and music and I have 3 macs 2 macbooks and 1 Mac mini.. I have an airport which is connected to the macs via airport and to the pc via ethernet I want to access the files on my pc from my macs... Can you please help..
May 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
1. On your PC, make sure that the relevant folders are shared. Also, note the IP address of the PC.
2. On your Mac, go to Finder->Connect to Server. When the box shows up, type smb:// followed by the IP address of the PC.
May 23, 2009, 04:14 AM
Awesome... Internet in Botswana is intermittent at times, so I haven't had the chance till this morning to reply to your post. I have a quick question. With the internet I get here I need to set up the airport extreme to bridge mode. So I'm pretty sure everyone shares a single Ip... I could set it to give out Ips(which I tried) but then only I get Internet on my mac and that pees off the other members of the family, as you can imagine. The other alternative is to set the pc to a static Ip, but then it can't connect to the internet which is a problem. Any ideas??
May 26, 2009, 09:33 AM
Does you high speed connection use a modem that acts as a DHCP server?
1. Reset your router to its default settings
2. Assign your router a new IP address if the current conflicts with your modems IP Address (this is so you can make adjustments in the future)
3. Configure your wireless settings (Encryption, SSID)
4. Disable DHCP on your router (your modem will be the DHCP server)
5. Connect the modem to your routers LAN ports, not WAN as you normally would.
6. Connect your computers to your network
If you did everything correctly and your modem also acts as a DHCP server you should now have a network connection. Basically what you are doing is turning your router into a wired and wireless switch.