PDA

View Full Version : Apple Australia is shipping my custom Powerbook

Pages : [1] 2

aussie_geek
May 4, 2004, 04:43 AM
hey all,

Just a small note to say that Apple Australia has started to ship the customised Powerbooks to Australian orderers. :D :D

ASWITCHER - yours should be on the way.... :D :D

aussie_geek

aswitcher
May 4, 2004, 05:06 AM
hey all,

Just a small note to say that Apple Australia has started to ship the customised Powerbooks to Australian orderers. :D :D

ASWITCHER - yours should be on the way.... :D :D

aussie_geek

Ok, great. You got any further details about due dates?

aussie_geek
May 4, 2004, 05:15 AM
Ok, great. You got any further details about due dates?

Star track express says it is to be delivered tomorrow.

Have you got your 'item shipped' email notification yet?

aussie_geek

Reuven
May 4, 2004, 05:37 AM
I have been told that my PB will arrive either this Friday or the following Friday.

Better be this Friday coming! I just dont understand why it takes so long if I ordered mine on the 20th & you guys order later then me but get to receive it any day now :rolleyes: :confused: .

Anyway let me know when you receive your PB guys!

Cheers,

Reuven

aussie_geek
May 4, 2004, 05:46 AM
I have been told that my PB will arrive either this Friday or the following Friday.

Better be this Friday coming! I just dont understand why it takes so long if I ordered mine on the 20th & you guys order later then me but get to receive it any day now :rolleyes: :confused: .

Anyway let me know when you receive your PB guys!

Cheers,

Reuven

Reuven,

Ring DJ's tomorrow. I bet it'll be there. It seems like apple must have shipped all of the last few weeks orders this weekend in one batch. Also remember that you ordered yours thru a store so they may not have been too quick about ordering the Powerbook in the first place :( . I will definately let you know when mine arrives. I'll do a review of the beast tomorrow.

:eek: :eek:

aussie_geek

ps - tonight maybe a sleepless one.... :p

Reuven
May 4, 2004, 05:54 AM
Reuven,

ps - tonight maybe a sleepless one.... :p

I think im in the same boat as you! Now you got me going! :D :D no sleep for me tonight (will be on the net in search for more add ons to my new PB LOL :D )

Will speak to the apple sale rep tommorow at DJS once again :D

Looking forward to your review.

Cheers,

Reuven

cb911
May 4, 2004, 05:55 AM
aussie_geek, isn't it good to finally see Apple Australia shipping the goods? :D

also, good to see another Aussie geek here on the MR boards. :p

aswitcher
May 4, 2004, 06:10 AM
Star track express says it is to be delivered tomorrow.

Have you got your 'item shipped' email notification yet?

aussie_geek

I am buying through Macmall and they didn't order it until last Tuesday (I put done $1500 down payment on the Saturday of Anzac long weekend) so its only been in the system a week... :(

They also said they would probably only get a days headsup, but the impression I got was that they wouldn't let me know until it actually arrived in the store and got processed... :eek:

So I am in the dark.

Good news is that my most excellent BLACK screensavRz (www.radtech.us) arrived yesterday, and my Jaz J1321 portable speakers (cheap but superior to the internals peakers and very portable - www.eyo.com.au) arrived today.

Reuven
May 4, 2004, 07:29 AM
Good news is that my most excellent BLACK screensavRz (www.radtech.us) arrived yesterday,

How long did it take from order time to receive the screensavRz ?

aswitcher
May 4, 2004, 01:54 PM
How long did it take from order time to receive the screensavRz ?

1 week from order to arrival... not bad...

Reuven
May 4, 2004, 05:10 PM
1 week from order to arrival... not bad...

Not bad at all :D Pretty Quick actually !

markh
May 4, 2004, 11:05 PM
I got my custom PB on monday.. and it rocks :)

aswitcher
May 5, 2004, 01:47 AM
I got my custom PB on monday.. and it rocks :)

When did you order? (and pay?)

Was it through Apple Australia (Phone/Net)?

WHat customs bits?

jKmxxx
May 5, 2004, 02:04 AM
I hear that some deliveres are around 2pm in Melbourne. I hope I get my PB this week.

oingoboingo
May 5, 2004, 02:32 AM
I hear that some deliveres are around 2pm in Melbourne. I hope I get my PB this week.

I got an e-mail from AppleCentre Chatswood today and they said they would start delivering 12" combo drive systems (the ones I was enquiring about) this afternoon. So it looks like the new PowerBooks have hit Sydney as of today, at least.

abc123
May 5, 2004, 02:36 AM
i got mine saturday morning, ordered that monday.
i only had some extra memory put in it though.

jKmxxx
May 5, 2004, 02:42 AM
i got mine saturday morning, ordered that monday.
i only had some extra memory put in it though.

How much did you put in abc123? also where about is your location?

aswitcher
May 5, 2004, 02:51 AM
I got an e-mail from AppleCentre Chatswood today and they said they would start delivering 12" combo drive systems (the ones I was enquiring about) this afternoon. So it looks like the new PowerBooks have hit Sydney as of today, at least.

Whoa sounds like my store. So thats the non-bto's...ok that sounds right. Mmmm. tick tick tick

mateybob
May 5, 2004, 03:12 AM
i ordered a 12" bto powerbook through DJs on the 25th... still waiting...

markh
May 5, 2004, 04:23 AM
When did you order? (and pay?)

Was it through Apple Australia (Phone/Net)?

WHat customs bits?

Ordered on the 20th April and payed for then.. was done online via the apple store. Got the 80Gig 5400rpm drive in the PB. Shipped from apple in sydney on friday 30th april and got to me, monday 3rd may

abc123
May 5, 2004, 04:33 AM
How much did you put in abc123? also where about is your location?
just an extra 256, i can't afford any more than that right now.

and brisbane

aussie_geek
May 5, 2004, 04:41 AM
hey all,

The powerbook arrived today at 3:57 pm! :D :D :D Absolutely amazing!! There are no design flaws - no dead pixels, no warped lid, latch works fine, no uneven illumination etc etc. It seems that Apple has ironed out all the bugs. I am so happy I prolonged the purchase for this model.

I performed an xbench test and it scored 133 with 512Mb ram out of the box.

Well done apple - you've made my day (again) considering it is 1 week from order to delivery.

hope you all get yours soon, ;)

aussie_geek

jKmxxx
May 5, 2004, 05:07 AM
Congrads! :) waiting for mine now :rolleyes:

Reuven
May 5, 2004, 05:37 AM
Congrads! :) waiting for mine now :rolleyes:

Make that mine to :D

Reuven
May 5, 2004, 05:39 AM
hey all,

The powerbook arrived today at 3:57 pm! :D :D :D Absolutely amazing!! There are no design flaws - no dead pixels, no warped lid, latch works fine, no uneven illumination etc etc. It seems that Apple has ironed out all the bugs. I am so happy I prolonged the purchase for this model.

I performed an xbench test and it scored 110 with 512Mb ram out of the box.

Well done apple - you've made my day (again) considering it is 1 week from order to delivery.

hope you all get yours soon, ;)

aussie_geek

Do you have a 128 VRAM card or 64 ?

How quick is she in boot up ?

Good luck enjoy

Cheers,

Reuven

aussie_geek
May 5, 2004, 06:26 AM
Do you have a 128 VRAM card or 64 ?

How quick is she in boot up ?

Good luck enjoy

Cheers,

Reuven

hey Reuven,

I have the 128 mb graphics card and the boot time is about 40 secs! I have the 5400 rpm drive as well.

aussie_geek

aswitcher
May 5, 2004, 06:30 AM
hey Reuven,

I have the 128 mb graphics card and the boot time is about 40 secs! I have the 5400 rpm drive as well.

aussie_geek

So you got a CUSTOM PB in a week! :eek:

Apple seem to be prioritising their own stock a little over the resellers ... :mad: Mmm... If I don't hear anything by Friday I'll be chasing my reseller to see what gives...

MyLeftNut
May 5, 2004, 07:13 AM
I too am still waiting for my BTO 17". Just praying to you know who...no dead pixels, no dead pixels, no warped casing, no warped casing...cmon, chant with me...no warped casing.... :p

eni
May 5, 2004, 09:29 AM
Waiting for a powerbook in Sydney myself. (15" BTO)

I highly doubt mine will be in this lot...as due to getting finances together as well as credit card company denying transfer of funds :mad: it probably is too soon.

However apple on the phone when I asked them if this will slow my order down initially said yes, but then checked and said "oh no... your computer is being built and we're expecting a shipment arrival before the end of the week." On the other side, why would they say that if it didn't concern my order?

I'm just hoping I hear from it, but I doubt it (haven't heard anything yet). Good luck to everyone else on getting yours!

jKmxxx
May 5, 2004, 09:21 PM
ok everyone I have the story for the PowerBook shipping.

From Apple they say they have given out 48 new PB of each models nation wide. For this week is their first releast and by next week every Apple shop should have the mass products coming in.

Thats all I know so far :mad:

Good luck to everyone

aswitcher
May 6, 2004, 12:47 AM
ok everyone I have the story for the PowerBook shipping.

From Apple they say they have given out 48 new PB of each models nation wide. For this week is their first releast and by next week every Apple shop should have the mass products coming in.

Thats all I know so far :mad:

Good luck to everyone

Well good work in getting the info.

So this reinforces what I heard. Stock models this week, BTOs next week. I do hope that I am in the first batch next week...

ftf
May 6, 2004, 01:04 AM
Good to hear they are on the way for everyone!

Mine was actually in the shop (Melbourne) ready to pick up last Thursday (12" standard config) but I don't want to pick it up until Monday...

To attempt to make a long story short(er) I am going overseas in a month so I am planning to claim back the GST through the Tourist Refund Scheme, but the invoice has to be within 30 days of departure which, you guessed it, is on Monday. The wait is almost painful, but at least I know it is there waiting...

Good luck to everyone else!

aswitcher
May 6, 2004, 01:07 AM
Good luck to everyone else!

Ouch. Well its a few hundred bucks so worth the wait...

ftf
May 6, 2004, 02:13 AM
Ouch. Well its a few hundred bucks so worth the wait...

Yeah, thats what i figured. If it was like $50 or something then I may not have worried but close to $300 is easily worth it for a week and a bit.
It made the decision to switch that little bit easier too. Having used PCs for a long time, it was a nervous but exciting decision. Cant wait...

Reuven
May 6, 2004, 03:20 AM
Well good work in getting the info.

So this reinforces what I heard. Stock models this week, BTOs next week. I do hope that I am in the first batch next week...

Wonder if DJS are included in the 1st batch next week ?

Still waiting for my PB to arrive :( Dont get it still I placed my order on the 20th and still no PB!

Asked the Apple Sale REp and said he placed the order for my PB the same day as I gave him the go ahead for it strange ? :confused:

Coolvirus007
May 6, 2004, 03:52 AM
Not trying to damping the mood but don't be too hopeful that your computer will be fully functional the first time. My brand new pb is acting a little wonky (it froze completely yesterday). So be prepared to return it if theres something wrong. If you wait too long after you purchase it, it gets harder to ask for a repair as part of the warantee. But if your powerbook is execellent, be grateful that your one of the few.

aswitcher
May 6, 2004, 04:21 AM
Some serious discounts just announced in SA

http://www.macshack.com.au/cgi-bin/cart/smart.cgi?command=listitems&pos=0&type=group&group=powerbooks

Not sure about cc charges and postage...

aussie_geek
May 6, 2004, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=Coolvirus007]Not trying to damping the mood but don't be too hopeful that your computer will be fully functional the first time. My brand new pb is acting a little wonky (it froze completely yesterday). So be prepared to return it if theres something wrong. If you wait too long after you purchase it, it gets harder to ask for a repair as part of the warantee. But if your powerbook is execellent,be grateful that your one of the few.
Coolvirus, =QUOTE]

What were you doing when your Powerbook froze? Which apps were open? etc. You can troubleshoot the problem and try and figure out what was going on when the PB froze. Did the spinning beachball come up or was the system just not responsive for a while...

RE: ' be grateful that your one of the few' - that comment is a bit of a worry, have you heard of any others having the same problem?
Check the Apple Discussions forums to check it out:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

aussie_geek

aussie_geek
May 6, 2004, 07:40 AM
Not trying to damping the mood but don't be too hopeful that your computer will be fully functional the first time. My brand new pb is acting a little wonky (it froze completely yesterday). So be prepared to return it if theres something wrong. If you wait too long after you purchase it, it gets harder to ask for a repair as part of the warantee. But if your powerbook is execellent,be grateful that your one of the few.
Coolvirus,

What were you doing when your Powerbook froze? Which apps were open? etc. You can troubleshoot the problem and try and figure out what was going on when the PB froze. Did the spinning beachball come up or was the system just not responsive for a while...

RE: ' be grateful that your one of the few' - that comment is a bit of a worry, have you heard of any others having the same problem?
Check the Apple Discussions forums to check it out:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

aussie_geek

ftf
May 6, 2004, 08:43 PM

http://www.macshack.com.au/cgi-bin/cart/smart.cgi?command=listitems&pos=0&type=group&group=powerbooks

Wow. They are good prices!
And apparently postage is based on number of items ordered, not THE item you order. So postage of a 'book should be only $7 Aust-wide. Of course there is the risk that if something is wrong with it, you have to send it back to SA.

No.of items Cost
1 $7.00
2 $10.00
3 $13.00
4 $16.00
5 or more $19.00

eni
May 7, 2004, 12:28 AM
Mine shipped! :D
Email says will get it within 7 days...can't wait.

Wow, those are good prices! Thanks for the tip.

Mine hasn't been ordered long (less than a week BTO, not considering credit card not transferring funds and another unrelated ID problem) so other people who are waiting should have theirs in their hands pretty soon.

Edit:
By the way, what exactly does Shipped mean? Does that mean shipped from the factory to Australia, or shipped from Australia for delivery? (Not that I mind either way, just curious. The info Apple provides seems a little vague.).

oingoboingo
May 7, 2004, 01:04 AM
Mine shipped! :D
Email says will get it within 7 days...can't wait.

Wow, those are good prices! Thanks for the tip.

Mine hasn't been ordered long (less than a week BTO, not considering credit card not transferring funds and another unrelated ID problem) so other people who are waiting should have theirs in their hands pretty soon.

Edit:
By the way, what exactly does Shipped mean? Does that mean shipped from the factory to Australia, or shipped from Australia for delivery? (Not that I mind either way, just curious. The info Apple provides seems a little vague.).

From the 4 things I've ordered from Apple direct in the past (my 1.6GHz G5, Mac OS X 10.3, .Mac and iLife '04, 'shipped' means "it's coming in the next few days".

YMMV on the PowerBooks though. Good luck. Hopefully you get it in time to play with it over the weekend :)

eni
May 7, 2004, 01:16 AM
From the 4 things I've ordered from Apple direct in the past (my 1.6GHz G5, Mac OS X 10.3, .Mac and iLife '04, 'shipped' means "it's coming in the next few days".

YMMV on the PowerBooks though. Good luck. Hopefully you get it in time to play with it over the weekend :)

Thank You! I'm excited now (even though it probably is 'better' if it comes later as I have so much work to do at the moment.........heheheh....work....).

I wouldn't mind having your desktop here to play with either ;) If you ever get bored of it.......
(PS It's probably best if you ignore this post. Exhausted person plus surprisingly early apple product apparently does not mix very well)

oingoboingo
May 7, 2004, 01:57 AM
Thank You! I'm excited now (even though it probably is 'better' if it comes later as I have so much work to do at the moment.........heheheh....work....).

I wouldn't mind having your desktop here to play with either ;) If you ever get bored of it.......
(PS It's probably best if you ignore this post. Exhausted person plus surprisingly early apple product apparently does not mix very well)

Well it wouldn't do you much good at the moment...it's at Apple Centre Taylor Square getting its video card replaced! My 'desktop' at the moment is my 12" 1GHz PowerBook, hooked up to my 19" CRT, keyboard and mouse. It's still nice, but it's no G5 :-)

Reuven
May 7, 2004, 02:03 AM
So you got a CUSTOM PB in a week! :eek:

Apple seem to be prioritising their own stock a little over the resellers ... :mad: Mmm... If I don't hear anything by Friday I'll be chasing my reseller to see what gives...

I could not agree more Apple does seem to be prioritising I orded my BTO PB on the 20th April and Still no PB so poped into DJS as the 14 working day period expired today and it seems I will receive it no later then this time next week !

If I do not receive it by then I will have to get in contact will apple & take it further as this is more then enough waiting time! :mad: :mad:

oingoboingo
May 7, 2004, 02:19 AM
I could not agree more Apple does seem to be prioritising I orded my BTO PB on the 20th April and Still no PB so poped into DJS as the 14 working day period expired today and it seems I will receive it no later then this time next week !

If I do not receive it by then I will have to get in contact will apple & take it further as this is more then enough waiting time! :mad: :mad:

Hmmm...my the exact details of my G5 experience were a little different, but the general sentiment was the same. I ordered my 1.6GHz G5 about 2 weeks after the WWDC keynote when the G5s were announced. I didn't receive my G5 until the end of September (and then it was dead on arrival!!), but resellers all over Sydney had G5s in their showrooms and in their stockrooms *weeks* before I even got my shipping notification. I don't know what system Apple Australia uses to allocate orders, but it's relatively random, it seems.

I did it differently with my PowerBook...walked into a dealer with a fistful of dollars...walked out with the PB under my arm, although it's different to your case, since all I wanted customised was the RAM and the AirPort card (both fitted in-store while I waited). With a big BTO order you don't have much choice. Damn all this waiting!!! And I'm not even waiting for anything!!!! :)

eni
May 7, 2004, 02:30 AM
Damn all this waiting!!! And I'm not even waiting for anything!!!! :)

Hahaha, made me laugh. I felt exactly like that before I ordered my PB and was reading these forums.

As for the DJS orders, I guess all I can say is I hope they come soon... Sorry I have nothing useful to add!

Reuven
May 7, 2004, 02:30 AM
Well as long as I get it in the end Im sure it will be a very worth while wait !

Windows XP bye bye! Hello OS X 10.3.3 ! :D :D

eni
May 7, 2004, 02:55 AM
Oh yes, bye bye to XP for me too! Well, not entirely I guess. But I don't see myself sitting at desktops too much anymore. Actually, to be honest this is my first laptop so I'm unsure how my habits will change. Hopefully I'll get even more lazy! No...that's not the point is it. The point is to be even more productive...office wherever you go...that kind of thing :o

I used to always have mac but had to 'switch' over to windows about 6 or 7 years ago. Never had OS X before so I'm interested in seeing how it gels with me.

I'm also perhaps interested in getting a bit of mac shareware out in my spare time. You never know. I'll have to see how the shareware market is on mac these days, I remember it used to be pretty good. I've written things for windows but never felt the atmosphere was right for releasing... (Don't know if that makes any sense. Yes, yes, perhaps it's a bit of a copout as well.). Well, I guess I'll see what happens.

If nothing else, I can try emulating my amiga on my PB. Now THAT was a computer, still works perfectly to this day. If my PB is even half what my amiga 2000 was, I'll be very very happy.

mateybob
May 8, 2004, 04:00 AM
i ordered a 12" bto powerbook through DJs on the 25th... still waiting...

update: went to DJs today and asked how long it would be.. they checked on their computers and claimed monday or tuesday next week...

aswitcher
May 8, 2004, 07:04 AM
update: went to DJs today and asked how long it would be.. they checked on their computers and claimed monday or tuesday next week...

Here's hoping we all see our machines next week. I have to travel the following week and want to bring my shiny new PB along...

Reuven
May 8, 2004, 07:16 AM
Here's hoping we all see our machines next week. I have to travel the following week and want to bring my shiny new PB along...

Here Here !

Next week better be the week! :D :D

Its been a long time waiting for me.

eni
May 9, 2004, 04:39 PM
Last scan date/time: 10-MAY-2004 06:32
Scan location: SYD
Status description: SCANNED AT DELIVERY DEPOT

Please let that mean it's comming...

Edit:
Scanned again 10-MAY-2004 09:24

Edit:
1 ITEM ON BOARD FOR DELIVERY !!!!! Yay

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 01:38 AM
Just go told that BTOs are trickling in from those who ordered around the release date. Some delays are pushing deliveries towards the end of the week... not sure if this is Apple talk for delays rolling onto next week... :(

Reuven
May 10, 2004, 01:44 AM
Just go told that BTOs are trickling in from those who ordered around the release date. Some delays are pushing deliveries towards the end of the week... not sure if this is Apple talk for delays rolling onto next week... :(

I ordered at release date so mine better be in that batch !

Last Friday I was told Tuesday - Thursday this week that I will have the PB.

Better be right or will be on the phone to Apple!

aswitcher where did you get the info on the BTO PB deliveries ?

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 02:10 AM
I ordered at release date so mine better be in that batch !

Last Friday I was told Tuesday - Thursday this week that I will have the PB.

Better be right or will be on the phone to Apple!

aswitcher where did you get the info on the BTO PB deliveries ?

Macmall rang Apple about a hour ago...

eni
May 10, 2004, 06:03 AM
It's terrible that you guys are still waiting for your powerbooks....

I got mine :D Today. I'm on it right now actually.
I ordered mine last satuday, so 8-9 days BTO. And 2 of those days it was sitting in star track express's storage.

I've got SO much to download, haha.

mateybob
May 10, 2004, 06:15 AM
i ordered mine a full week before you and i still dont have it... :/

edit: i hate you :( :p

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 06:15 AM
It's terrible that you guys are still waiting for your powerbooks....

I got mine :D Today. I'm on it right now actually.
I ordered mine last satuday, so 8-9 days BTO. And 2 of those days it was sitting in star track express's storage.

I've got SO much to download, haha.

You ordered what exactly? 15? 17?

Did you get the graphcis card update because I heard that was the reason for the delays...

mateybob
May 10, 2004, 06:17 AM
last saturday would have been the 1st...
and im waiting on a 12"pb so i dont think graphics cards are the only reason...

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 06:18 AM
i ordered mine a full week before you and i still dont have it... :/

edit: i hate you :( :p

Yeah I orderer the Saturday of the Anzac day weekend, so I think they didn't put the order through until the Tuesday 25 April... so its been almost 2 weeks at least!

mateybob
May 10, 2004, 06:20 AM
yeah i ordered on exactly the same day through DJs.. they told me they wouldnt put in the order until tues and that it would be 9-11 working days... tomorrow is the 11th day ;p

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 06:22 AM
yeah i ordered on exactly the same day through DJs.. they told me they wouldnt put in the order until tues and that it would be 9-11 working days... tomorrow is the 11th day ;p

Well I said I wouldn't hassle my reseller again until Thursday. Perhaps you could give them a ring and see what story Apple has tomorrow??? :rolleyes:

mateybob
May 10, 2004, 06:28 AM
nah i already hassled DJs on saturday :p
cant really hassle apple because DJs dont give you any of the order details...

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 06:31 AM
nah i already hassled DJs on saturday :p
cant really hassle apple because DJs dont give you any of the order details...

You call of course but if they said 9-11 and tomorrow is 11, then its only fair you call and ask what Apple have to say about supply. Apple does take cals from their resellers about orders.

mateybob
May 10, 2004, 06:34 AM
alright i may give it a try depending on how desperate i get... :D

eni
May 10, 2004, 06:41 AM
Sorry, i was going to say more but i was busy.

I ordered directly from apple's website.

I got the 15" powerbook (the upper one).
128 graphics upgrade
Ram 'upgraded' to one chip
Faster hard drive
Superdrive as default.

It was delivered today at 12 on the dot.

What more would you like to know? I'll check back here tonight if anyone has any questions. So far.....so good! Screen is beautiful. I haven't run the dead pixel checker (don't think i want to!) but I've looked while using it, and playing dvds, and haven't seen any. PHEW.

I hope everyone else gets theirs soon!

mateybob
May 10, 2004, 06:45 AM
dead pixels arent all that hard to see if you look for them without using the pixel checker...
i have one on my ibm laptop... just put on an all white screen saver or something and it really stands out...

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 06:47 AM
What more would you like to know? I'll check back here tonight if anyone has any questions. So far.....so good! Screen is beautiful. I haven't run the dead pixel checker (don't think i want to!) but I've looked while using it, and playing dvds, and haven't seen any. PHEW.

I hope everyone else gets theirs soon!

I wonder if Apple is favouring its own orders over resellers... :(

eni
May 10, 2004, 06:48 AM
Yup I agree, which is why at least so far I feel really happy about it.

I'm currently...uh....testing the superdrive............ok, ripping my cds :p

eni
May 10, 2004, 06:51 AM
I wonder if Apple is favouring its own orders over resellers... :(

It seems like that is exactly the case, which really isn't right. I don't think it even makes any business sense, as apple needs public and reseller support.

Other option is the resellers haven't put the orders through straight away (no matter what they tell you), but somehow I seem to favour the apple screwing you guys over one a fair bit more.

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 06:57 AM
It seems like that is exactly the case, which really isn't right. I don't think it even makes any business sense, as apple needs public and reseller support.

Other option is the resellers haven't put the orders through straight away (no matter what they tell you), but somehow I seem to favour the apple screwing you guys over one a fair bit more.

Well I would appreciate any other Aussies letting us know if they get their PBs BTOs, and when they ordered and if it was from Apple Australia.

mateybob
May 10, 2004, 07:01 AM
i suspect many of them are too busy playing with their new computers to come to these forums... ;)

eni
May 10, 2004, 07:03 AM
Oh, I should add this incase it will help anymore. My estimated ship date from the day I ordered it, to even today (it still showed it) was the 18th.
At the end of last week it just suddenly come up Shipped and by friday it was sitting in star track express's storage.

Oh, a tip for people ordering from apple. I don't know if this was just me, but it didn't give me a tracking number. That bit just remained blank after it shipped, but it said the carrier was STE. So I went to star track's website and tried different numbers apple had sent me, and found if you go to Track and Trace, select Reference number and then enter the number "Apple Delivery Number" they email you when it ships, it lets you in to track it.

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 07:07 AM
i suspect many of them are too busy playing with their new computers to come to these forums... ;)

:eek: yeah your probably right. I need this baby this week so I can take it to AusCERT 2004 next week. If I get it then there will be lost of people checking it out from IT security and government. If I dont have it then I will probably have to lug along an old work laptop and whine over dinner drinks about susupicions of Apple Australias self bias...

eni
May 10, 2004, 08:08 AM
Hope you get it soon then so you can show off!

Does anyone know if the developer tools are included on one of the disks (or installed somewhere) or do I have to download them?

Edit:
Never mind, I found them!

Argh...have to be at uni in...what...a few hours >_< I wanna keep playing with my new toy! :p

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 06:08 PM
So Tuesday in Sydney now. Anyone else got good news?

jKmxxx
May 10, 2004, 06:42 PM
I just got a phone call saying that my PowerBook is here!!!! :eek: :)
Driving down to the city to get it today, aaah about time :o

Good luck to everyone my wish to all.

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 07:02 PM
I just got a phone call saying that my PowerBook is here!!!! :eek: :)
Driving down to the city to get it today, aaah about time :o

Good luck to everyone my wish to all.

At the shop today!!!
15" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, Radeon 9700 Mobility, 80GB HD, 512 MB RAM, 17" Apple Studio Display.

Whoa. So when did you order this BTO 15"?

With Apple or a reseller? Sounds like a reseller if your off in a car...

Abstract
May 10, 2004, 07:05 PM
Congratulations guys. I remember driving to pick up my PB from the school computer store. Man, I couldn't help but think about the safest place to put it, as I was worried about crashing the car and (most disappointingly) ruining my newly purchased PB!!! :( It didn't help that I took occasional glances at the pretty black box as I was driving. :D

Sweet lord! How come they get to sell the NEW 1.33GHz Apple 12" PB with Combo Drive at $2449 when it's selling at the Apple store for $150 more? :confused:
I wish they sold AE cards....

locopano
May 10, 2004, 11:11 PM
Anyone from MELBOURNE got a BTO Powerbook Yet? 17"

Anyone got a BTO from NEXTBYTE???

Let me kwow......... thanks!

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 11:24 PM
Anyone from MELBOURNE got a BTO Powerbook Yet? 17"

Anyone got a BTO from NEXTBYTE???

Let me kwow......... thanks!

Ditto for Sydney...I am only hearing about 15" BTOs not 17"s...

aswitcher
May 10, 2004, 11:57 PM
Spoke to Apple Australia. If I ordered a PB 17" BTO right now it would be 6-8 days for delivery... I am on working day 10 today...

Was advised that resellers can call a special number for Apple and get up to date delivery times for ordered stock.

jKmxxx
May 11, 2004, 12:09 AM
Whoa. So when did you order this BTO 15"?

With Apple or a reseller? Sounds like a reseller if your off in a car...

Sorry everyone I took half a day off from work, and now I am back with the PB 15" 1.5Ghz!!! :)

I got it from Computers Now. There are now 2 PB 15" 1.5ghz left at South Melbourne, last check at (2:53pm).

I place my order on the 26th of April but then I cancel it and place an order on Tuesday night last week at Computers Now.

Designwyse also have some 15" model left. I not sure of other models cus I am only going for 15" PB model. sry

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 12:17 AM
Sorry everyone I took half a day off from work, and now I am back with the PB 15" 1.5Ghz!!! :)

I got it from Computers Now. There are now 2 PB 15" 1.5ghz left at South Melbourne, last check at (2:53pm).

I place my order on the 26th of April but then I cancel it and place an order on Tuesday night last week at Computers Now.

Designwyse also have some 15" model left. I not sure of other models cus I am only going for 15" PB model. sry

Well glad to see you got yours...and in record time too.

So anyone got a 17" BTO yet in Oz?

mateybob
May 11, 2004, 01:41 AM
well i still dont have mine... :(
guess ill give them a call tomorrow...

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 01:44 AM
well i still dont have mine... :(
guess ill give them a call tomorrow...

Well let us know how you go.

Reuven
May 11, 2004, 02:06 AM
So Tuesday in Sydney now. Anyone else got good news?

Just came off the phone 5 mintues ago with apple sales rep from DJS.

My BTO will be instore in the morning! He better be right as he is currently interstate and the normal DJS staff will be attending to me.

Can't wait to get my hands on my PB at long last! 21 days in total since I placed my order as of today!

Whooo! :D :D :p Apple Here I come :D ;)

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 02:09 AM
Just came off the phone 5 mintues ago with apple sales rep from DJS.

My BTO will be instore in the morning! He better be right as he is currently interstate and the normal DJS staff will be attending to me.

Can't wait to get my hands on my PB at long last! 21 days in total since I placed my order as of today!

Whooo! :D :D :p Apple Here I come :D ;)

Well thats good news. Can you ask if they have seen any 17s tomorrow when you get your new machine?

Reuven
May 11, 2004, 02:14 AM
Well thats good news. Can you ask if they have seen any 17s tomorrow when you get your new machine?

No Problem! Will do :D ;) But from what I heard today there are delays on all the PB range to all resellers due to "large demand" and cant supply in time most of the reseller orders are BTO :confused:

Will keep you posted!

Cheers,

Reuven

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 02:17 AM
No Problem! Will do :D ;) But from what I heard today there are delays on all the PB range to all resellers due to "large demand" and cant supply in time most of the reseller orders are BTO :confused:

Will keep you posted!

Cheers,

Reuven

Thanks. I still think this is double-talk for Apple's customers are getting priority over resellers... I think some reseller orders of the first few weeks are being taken by Apple to meet demands...
Of course i have little proof of this but having read ThinkSecrets reports on Apple Store favourtism and looking at some of the order and supply dates, I am suspicious. Nothing we can do though...

abc123
May 11, 2004, 04:21 AM
i was extremely shocked by how fast mine came from apple.
it was a birthday gift (my birthday is not until the end of the month) after hearing about delays and knowing that the extra ram could mean more waiting we decided to order early.
i received mine on the 1st and the other day i went into the nextbyte shop to pick up a mini-dvi to video adapter. the guy behind the counter checked to make sure i had the right model and when i said it was one of the new ones he looked at me with that "yeh, okay. boy did you get ripped off" look on his face, asked if the computer was silver and said if i had any problems to come back.
errr... i have been lusting after a powerbook for ages, how could i possibly be confused as to which model i bought or if it was even a powerbook.
blonde+female=knows nothing about computers i guess
meh

mateybob
May 11, 2004, 04:45 AM
actually PERSON + WORKS AT APPLE STORE = KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS :rolleyes:

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 05:10 AM
i was extremely shocked by how fast mine came from apple.
it was a birthday gift (my birthday is not until the end of the month) after hearing about delays and knowing that the extra ram could mean more waiting we decided to order early.
i received mine on the 1st and the other day i went into the nextbyte shop to pick up a mini-dvi to video adapter. the guy behind the counter checked to make sure i had the right model and when i said it was one of the new ones he looked at me with that "yeh, okay. boy did you get ripped off" look on his face, asked if the computer was silver and said if i had any problems to come back.
errr... i have been lusting after a powerbook for ages, how could i possibly be confused as to which model i bought or if it was even a powerbook.
blonde+female=knows nothing about computers i guess
meh

Ram shouldn't hold it up, they do that at this end. If you got the upgraded graphics card and/or hard disk that should have slowed it down. Did you?

mateybob
May 11, 2004, 05:20 AM
my 12" pb has nothing but an extra 256 ram in it... sure seems slowed down to me...

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 05:22 AM
my 12" pb has nothing but an extra 256 ram in it... sure seems slowed down to me...

Well its a stock configuration and Nextbyte would have bumped the ram up in store, so it seems to be one of the first of the new generation of powerbooks to appear. Enjoy.

locopano
May 11, 2004, 05:24 AM
Not sure if i should start a new thread for this but has anyone bought a single 1GB RAM stick? if so where from how much etc etc? include the links to the WEB pages if possible.. Also name ones that you have had experience with, being compatible, reliable et etc..

Thanks

Ohh and its for a 17" PB,

mateybob
May 11, 2004, 06:06 AM
Well its a stock configuration and Nextbyte would have bumped the ram up in store, so it seems to be one of the first of the new generation of powerbooks to appear. Enjoy.

i have no idea what this post is supposed to mean...

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 06:12 AM
i have no idea what this post is supposed to mean...

:) I am saying it sounds like your getting a 12" PB from with no graphics crad or hard disk bump up. Only a RAM upgrade. If so ram is done in store here is Oz. Is that right? If so I am not surprised its here this week, its the Build To Orders that seem to be being held up.

mateybob
May 11, 2004, 06:22 AM
i dont think DJs does it in store...

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 07:00 AM
i dont think DJs does it in store...

Ok. Well Apple Australia could easily do it here in Oz. Also I thought the DJs Apple deal saw a dedicated fulltime Apple trained sales rep in each of their stores, and a ram upgrade would be the easiest thing they could do. But maybe it was Singapore...

Ozi
May 11, 2004, 07:12 AM
Mine is coming through Jim Vailee of Connecting point in Melbourne...

He said it was being custom built in Singapore, and that he didnt know how long it would be... :confused: It is a pretty intesive BTO... so that might mean it takes longer: it is the superdrive 15" model, but downgraded to combo... heres its specs:
• 1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
• 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 w/ 128MB Graphics Memory
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS
• 15.2-inch TFT XGA Display

So a fair bit needs to be done to build it: I ordered Halo and got that within 3 days... so I am reading and re-reading the Halo instruction manual, just itching to blood it on my new pBook.... *whimpers with anticipation*

It was ordered on thursday before ANZAC day... same as Aswitcher... so im praying for it to get here by the end of the week. I will keep you all posted! :D

~ozi

mateybob
May 11, 2004, 07:45 AM
Also I thought the DJs Apple deal saw a dedicated fulltime Apple trained sales rep in each of their stores.

yep thats true but i just doubt its something DJs would want to be bothered with... im only guessing here though...

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 07:53 AM

He said it was being custom built in Singapore, and that he didnt know how long it would be... :confused:

Well Apple Australia told me today that resellers have a special number for Apple to get info on their own customers orders. He should be able to do that for you tomorrow and give you a good idea where it is because I believe its the same system that Apple use to track their own customers orders which is pretty accurate. Worth a shot.

It is a pretty intesive BTO... so that might mean it takes longer: it is the superdrive 15" model, but downgraded to combo... heres its specs:
• AirPort Extreme Card

~ozi

Yeah that is a pretty full on BTO.

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 05:21 PM
So any Wednesday updates from Aussies? :(

locopano
May 11, 2004, 06:13 PM

He said it was being custom built in Singapore, and that he didnt know how long it would be... :confused: It is a pretty intesive BTO... so that might mean it takes longer: it is the superdrive 15" model, but downgraded to combo... heres its specs:
• AirPort Extreme Card

So a fair bit needs to be done to build it: I ordered Halo and got that within 3 days... so I am reading and re-reading the Halo instruction manual, just itching to blood it on my new pBook.... *whimpers with anticipation*

It was ordered on thursday before ANZAC day... same as Aswitcher... so im praying for it to get here by the end of the week. I will keep you all posted! :D

~ozi

Hey Just a question.. That config would cost you as much (+$40) as a 17" 512MB- 1 stick, w/Superdrive,128MB VRAM & 5400RPM upgrades..... so why go for that config?

More RAM?
Attaching your own dual layer DVD Burner in the future?

Are you getting any discounts? Cos through the Apple Store BTO it costs a little over $4610? yeah?

Just reall curious as to why?Cos i was going to downgrade for a moment a while back cos of cash flow issues, But the fact that the 17" was almost the same price, only diff being it HAD a Superdrive and it DIDNT have 1GbRAM. Also i had a 17"beofre that and once i had used the 17" i couldnt go back to 15"....

Thanks!

Also if anyone gets a BTO 17" please let me know

aswitcher
May 11, 2004, 08:57 PM

Yeah, I dont know of a single BTO 17" having appeared yet in Oz...

Ozi
May 11, 2004, 11:40 PM
Hey Just a question.. That config would cost you as much (+$40) as a 17" 512MB- 1 stick, w/Superdrive,128MB VRAM & 5400RPM upgrades..... so why go for that config?

More RAM?
Attaching your own dual layer DVD Burner in the future?

Are you getting any discounts? Cos through the Apple Store BTO it costs a little over $4610? yeah?

Just reall curious as to why?Cos i was going to downgrade for a moment a while back cos of cash flow issues, But the fact that the 17" was almost the same price, only diff being it HAD a Superdrive and it DIDNT have 1GbRAM. Also i had a 17"beofre that and once i had used the 17" i couldnt go back to 15"....

Thanks!

Yeah... I get a pretty mad set of discounts... sorry to gloat, but here goes:

Educational discount: $4610 => $4056

Father is in top tax bracket, and can salary package computer, so effectively this is a 53% discount: $4056 => $2200

So for $2200 I get a mad 15" pBook. I dont need the DVD writer, so I saved the $275 (educational price) in downgrading to combo.

Also, I want 1 GB for gaming, and the fact it is 1 card (not 2x512) means I can put an extra Gig in later if I want. Also, as a uni student, I dont need the 17" screen, in fact it would be a disadvantage as it would be too big. The 15" is a happy medium between screen resolution, and functionality. (It has as many ports as the 17", but isnt as big. The 12" does not have as many ports.)

So yeah, portability, functionality, insane discounts. My life is good. :D

~ozi

locopano
May 12, 2004, 12:43 AM
If he had his own business he would be able to claim back the GST to!!

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 01:19 AM
Yeah... I get a pretty mad set of discounts... sorry to gloat, but here goes:

Educational discount: $4610 => $4056

Father is in top tax bracket, and can salary package computer, so effectively this is a 53% discount: $4056 => $2200

So for $2200 I get a mad 15" pBook. I dont need the DVD writer, so I saved the $275 (educational price) in downgrading to combo.

Also, I want 1 GB for gaming, and the fact it is 1 card (not 2x512) means I can put an extra Gig in later if I want. Also, as a uni student, I dont need the 17" screen, in fact it would be a disadvantage as it would be too big. The 15" is a happy medium between screen resolution, and functionality. (It has as many ports as the 17", but isnt as big. The 12" does not have as many ports.)

So yeah, portability, functionality, insane discounts. My life is good. :D

~ozi

Good luck with all the discounting, but I doubt you'll be able to claim an educational discount *and* have your father salary sacrifice the notebook at the same time, unless your father is an academic staff member at a school or university, or is a student himself. I don't think you can claim the Apple Australia .edu discount for yourself (presumably using your own student ID card as proof of enrolment), and then have someone else come along and buy that .edu discounted machine in another name (ie: as would occur with a salary sacrifice arrangement).

I could well be wrong (and for your sake, I hope I am :) ), but in this case I don't think your plan can operate as you describe it...well...not without some kind of trickery anyway ;)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 02:08 AM
So no new PBs today for any of us???

Reuven
May 12, 2004, 02:25 AM
So no new PBs today for any of us???

Yes! On my new baby now as I type this to you! Picked her up this afternoon at 3pm and just got connected to the web just this second.

Every things is perfect! No dead pixels or anything! 21 days in total it took but was worth to wait for it !

So happy just dont know where to begin. :D :D :D

My main concern now is to get apple care going and my wireless conection going too!

On another note since I was use to running a pc i find it hard to understand where i place downloaded files anyone can help or got some pointers ?

Regards,

Reuven

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 02:38 AM
Yes! On my new baby now as I type this to you! Picked her up this afternoon at 3pm and just got connected to the web just this second.

:( i still dont have mine... unfortunately ive been stuck at uni all day and unable to call DJs...
when did your order get placed reuven?

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 02:44 AM
On another note since I was use to running a pc i find it hard to understand where i place downloaded files anyone can help or got some pointers ?

Regards,

Reuven

Some advice from "Mac OS Panther, Timesaving Techniques, for Dummies"

(116)

Use your desktop as a temporary storage place

If an application gives you the option of installing it system wide or just for your use, install for just your use into your Home directory so that it will remain with you through operating system transitions and backups.

Use your "Home" Library not the "systems" Library for fonts, scripts etc for the same reason. Back your library up regularly.

Create a record of all your install within your documents folder, along with serial numbers/passwords

(167)

Applications try and install in the Applications folder.

3rd party software should be kept in a seperate directory under your Home to save downloading later within logical directory names paralleling your Applications directory.

aussie_geek
May 12, 2004, 03:12 AM

Its easy,

If it's an application, then put it in the applications folder. If you d/l a utility put it in the utilities folder. You can put files anywhere you like but I would stay out of the Library folders ;)

One thing I'd do is go into safari and make a default download folder - (safari puts every downloaded file on the desktop) so it's easier to see your desktop...

Have phun

aussie_geek

ps don't forget to go into a dark room so you can see the keyboard illumination - it's cool!!

eni
May 12, 2004, 03:29 AM

Every things is perfect! No dead pixels or anything! 21 days in total it took but was worth to wait for it !

So happy just dont know where to begin. :D :D :D

My main concern now is to get apple care going and my wireless conection going too!

Regards,

Reuven

Don't you just LOVE these things! :D I wouldn't know where to begin either explaining how happy I am with mine too.

Must say I had to laugh, the hardest (actually, the ONLY) manual config i've had to do was on my windows comp when I was setting up ethernet between the two (and my powerbook even told me what to do :p i'm so not a network guy).

Mine is beautiful. Screen is perfect, I love the screen. It blows me away, even as i'm typing this right now...while i'm meant to be doing a uni assignment, haha.

To aswitcher and other still waiting, I really hope you get yours soon. Hey aswitcher, just think when you finally get yours you'll have an even better screen than me :eek: (i've got the 15") and then you can laugh at me!

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 03:39 AM
To aswitcher and other still waiting, I really hope you get yours soon. Hey aswitcher, just think when you finally get yours you'll have an even better screen than me :eek: (i've got the 15") and then you can laugh at me!

I have an A3 sheet of paper with both the 15.2" and 17" widescreen silhouettes drawn on them for when I was comparing sizes...17" is an inch taller and 1.75 wider than the 15.2"...very nice :)

I have a bad feeling its not going to be this week since noone has mentioned any 17"s appearing yet...

eni
May 12, 2004, 03:47 AM
*SCOFFS* An Inch Taller? And a....a......*goes off wimpering*

:D Nah, I'm really happy with my PB, her name's Silver and she's beautiful. DON'T comment! It is original I tell ya!...

Edit:
Oh, tracing the outline of the screen on paper is a great idea! Thanks, I'll remember that if I'm ever out comp shopping again......ahh...not that I ever would Silver...no.....now don't YOU look at me like that Silver... It isn't like that.... No I would never!...

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 04:00 AM
has anyone recieved a 12" pb?
it seems people are only getting 15"pb... or is this just because im the only one that had to get a 12" because i couldnt afford a 15"? :p

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 04:18 AM

I'm not sure by what you mean when you say "get apple care going". AppleCare is the name for both the standard Apple warranty (a rather weak 90 days phone support plus 1 year return to base hardware warranty) and Apple's 2-year extended warranty program. If you're just talking about the standard warranty, you don't really need to do anythng. If something goes wrong in the first 12 months, just call up Apple or a local dealer. Did you buy the AppleCare extended warranty too?

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 04:21 AM
has anyone recieved a 12" pb?
it seems people are only getting 15"pb... or is this just because im the only one that had to get a 12" because i couldnt afford a 15"? :p

I've just sold my Rev B 1GHz 12" PowerBook to upgrade to the new 1.33GHz model. I asked at AppleCentre Chatswood yesterday (Tuesday) what availability of a stock combo-drive 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook was, and they estimated 5 days. Apparently stock super drive models were already in store though. Is your 12" a BTO model, or just stock config?

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 04:24 AM
*SCOFFS* An Inch Taller? And a....a......*goes off wimpering*

:D Nah, I'm really happy with my PB, her name's Silver and she's beautiful. DON'T comment! It is original I tell ya!...

Silver. :) Gotta get a name for mine before it appears... Need a multisylabic name so that voice recognition works well ;) :D

Edit:
Oh, tracing the outline of the screen on paper is a great idea! Thanks, I'll remember that if I'm ever out comp shopping again......ahh...not that I ever would Silver...no.....now don't YOU look at me like that Silver... It isn't like that.... No I would never!...

School triganometry (spell) is good for soemthing

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 04:27 AM
Is your 12" a BTO model, or just stock config?

12" combodrive with extra ram... ordered 19 days ago...

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 04:45 AM

Well I guess I am only 16 days... :(

MyLeftNut
May 12, 2004, 05:19 AM
Aww..damn the more you guys talk about having yours, the more Im starting to feel left out...and yes Im waiting for a BTO 17"...

Has anyone been scoping out the Mac OSX manuals and books at all the bookshops? I have been eagerly soaking up as much info as I can (Im a switcher)...are there any Mac based computer clubs in Melb? :rolleyes:

coattaker
May 12, 2004, 05:27 AM
actually PERSON + WORKS AT APPLE STORE = KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS :rolleyes:

Actually, that's not necessarily true, though you will get the usual depressing number of salesmen out of their depth.

I work at a Next Byte store and am sorry to say that yes, Apple do favour their own clients rather than the resellers, even Next Byte who are the largest. We did an experiment and ordered two identical spec machines on the same day, one from Apple direct and one through our own system. The Apple direct order arrived within 8 days, we are still waiting for ours.

It isn't just CTOs either. Apple makes a concerted effort to steal our big clients and shortchange us on service jobs wherever they can. It really is a pity because they need the resellers unless they intend to set up their own support infrastructure, which won't happen here anytime soon because Apple Australia is a joke.

Congratulations to all whose machines have already arrived, apologies to those whose haven't. We do our best.

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 05:29 AM
Aww..damn the more you guys talk about having yours, the more Im starting to feel left out...and yes Im waiting for a BTO 17"...

When did you order? Through Apple?

Has anyone been scoping out the Mac OSX manuals and books at all the bookshops? I have been eagerly soaking up as much info as I can (Im a switcher)...are there any Mac based computer clubs in Melb? :rolleyes:

Well I have been reading mac mags and books since liek July/August. I can recommend the O'Reilly missing manual book for Panther and Mac OSX Hacks 0-596-00460-5. The black Mac OSX Time Saving Techniques for Dummies ISBN 0-7645-5812-9 is also excellent, and if you buy one book that really is a great one to start with for a switcher - although the missing manual is also a must :p . I got a more basic one for my parents that I found really useful myself getting adjusted to the switch, Visually, Mac OSX Panther ISBN 0-7645-4393-8. The Little Mac iApps Book ISBN 0-321-18747-4 is also pretty good for understanding everything that comes with the mac.

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 05:34 AM
I work at a Next Byte store and am sorry to say that yes, Apple do favour their own clients rather than the resellers, even Next Byte who are the largest. We did an experiment and ordered two identical spec machines on the same day, one from Apple direct and one through our own system. The Apple direct order arrived within 8 days, we are still waiting for ours.

It isn't just CTOs either. Apple makes a concerted effort to steal our big clients and shortchange us on service jobs wherever they can. It really is a pity because they need the resellers unless they intend to set up their own support infrastructure, which won't happen here anytime soon because Apple Australia is a joke.

You should take this to the NSW Department of Fair Trading, and we should all go to the ACCC and make a thing about it. Apple Australia has a monopoly on supply within Australia and these actions are an abuse of that position.

(edit- oh and ASIC of course) ;)

Can you tell us anything about resellers checking shipments for customers through Apple Australia's special line. How much detail can they/do they provide about where each person's order is at? Can they give the level of detail that you get if you order directly from Apple?

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 05:38 AM
Actually, that's not necessarily true, though you will get the usual depressing number of salesmen out of their depth.

in my experience with using apple, which is around 8 years all up, i can honestly say that ive dealt with only one employee that wasnt completely incompetent on a computer or a customer service level (commonly both).. maybe it was you? which nextbyte do you work at? :p

coattaker
May 12, 2004, 05:44 AM
You should take this to the NSW Department of Fair Trading, and we should all go to the ACCC and make a thing about it. Apple Australia has a monopoly on supply within Australia and these actions are an abuse of that position.

Can you tell us anything about resellers checking shipments for customers through Apple Australia's special line. How much detail can they/do they provide about where each person's order is at? Can they give the level of detail that you get if you order directly from Apple?

Apple Australia's 'special line' is a website (that doesn't work in Safari) that lists the order status as either In Progress, Backorder, Constrained or Shipped. We never use it for the purpose you describe because it's next to useless. Basically it gets here when it gets here.

As for the fair trading thing, theoretically it could be done, but it would be awfully difficult to prove anything conclusive because the systems involved are so convoluted and subject to many variables. In all honesty it isn't quite as bad as what it seems, since Apple themselves can cut out the middleman in many areas such as freight, re-order levels, education buybacks and so on. But it is darn annoying because customers who just want their machine don't understand how complicated the whole business is. My own feeling is that the market will change in the next few years and the relationship between resellers and Apple and the whole way business is done will change markedly. And a good thing too.

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 05:47 AM
in my experience with using apple, which is around 8 years all up, i can honestly say that ive dealt with only one employee that wasnt completely incompetent on a computer or a customer service level (commonly both)

But that's pretty true from my experience of those selling digital cameras, mobile phones, plasma and LCD TVs etc. Seems to me that with a technical background, a decent amount of focus and google time, its pretty easy to get up to speed with specific areas of technology but most importantly whats happening overseas and find oneself more informed than the sales people.

Just the other day I had a canon reseller telling me that all DV cameras put the same quality of video down on the tape irrespective of their megapixels and other features. I have had even worse problems having to educate mobile phone sellers and exhibition people on their own hardware as I try and pry out some details missing from their litterature and reviews (like how much onboard free memory etc). Seems sales people aren't that interested in their own products as they need to be to handle modern shoppers...

coattaker
May 12, 2004, 05:52 AM
in my experience with using apple, which is around 8 years all up, i can honestly say that ive dealt with only one employee that wasnt completely incompetent on a computer or a customer service level (commonly both).. maybe it was you? which nextbyte do you work at? :p

LOL, well I can't say it isn't possible. In fact the main reason I find myself working here is because I care about Apple's cause and can't stand to see how things are done here. Just want to do my bit to help.

With staff at Apple resellers (and most other places) you'll see a few different types. There's the ones who are young and arrogant and know what Bluetooth is and just want to make some money and be cool. There's the ones who are young and arrogant and DON'T know what Bluetooth is and just want to make some money and be cool. There's the ones who are nice and friendly and who know nothing about the product, and there are ones who are not nice or friendly and who know nothing about the product either. Then there are the ones who DO know about the product and are helpful, but have been exposed to the system too long and don't care anymore. The ones who are friendly, honest and know their stuff are few and far between, but they do exist.

I doubt if you have dealt with me because I'm not in Sydney, but I'm always willing to help with something if I can. Just ask :)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 05:53 AM
Apple Australia's 'special line' is a website (that doesn't work in Safari) that lists the order status as either In Progress, Backorder, Constrained or Shipped. We never use it for the purpose you describe because it's next to useless. Basically it gets here when it gets here.

Well that maybe but I was told specifically earlier this week that their is a phone number to use for resellers. I have had my local reseller call that number but only got vague details about delivery delays and maybe tomorrow... It does appear to be a complete mess when you consider that US and it appears Aussies can track every single move their machine makes. I am suspicious enough to think Apple A are muddying the waters on this service to you guys.

The fact their website doesn't work in safari is beyond a joke...

As for the fair trading thing, theoretically it could be done, but it would be awfully difficult to prove anything conclusive because the systems involved are so convoluted and subject to many variables. In all honesty it isn't quite as bad as what it seems, since Apple themselves can cut out the middleman in many areas such as freight, re-order levels, education buybacks and so on. But it is darn annoying because customers who just want their machine don't understand how complicated the whole business is. My own feeling is that the market will change in the next few years and the relationship between resellers and Apple and the whole way business is done will change markedly. And a good thing too.

Well US experiences seem to suggest that many resellers aint to happy with Apple's aggressive change in marketing. I dont expect Apple to open too many stores in Australia anytime soon, but I think they are coming. Maybe 2-3 years the first stores will appear.

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 06:00 AM
With staff at Apple resellers (and most other places) you'll see a few different types. There's the ones who are young and arrogant and know what Bluetooth is and just want to make some money and be cool. There's the ones who are young and arrogant and DON'T know what Bluetooth is and just want to make some money and be cool. There's the ones who are nice and friendly and who know nothing about the product, and there are ones who are not nice or friendly and who know nothing about the product either. Then there are the ones who DO know about the product and are helpful, but have been exposed to the system too long and don't care anymore. The ones who are friendly, honest and know their stuff are few and far between, but they do exist.

Selling IT has always been on my mind since I did computing science at uni...but I can't say that the work environment (and I guess pay????) are too inspiring. It will be very interesting to see WHEN Apple open their first store (Sydney for sure ;) ) who they hire, because if its the best and the brightest of the Apple Resellers that could be pretty interesting. The way I see it is that 6 months prior to opening Apple US should go undercover to the resellers to see who is up to scratch and have that list handy for when those people turn up to interviews...

Apple stores would be very cool even for just the free wifi...

coattaker
May 12, 2004, 06:01 AM
But that's pretty true from my experience of those selling digital cameras, mobile phones, plasma and LCD TVs etc. Seems to me that with a technical background, a decent amount of focus and google time, its pretty easy to get up to speed with specific areas of technology but most importantly whats happening overseas and find oneself more informed than the sales people.

Just the other day I had a canon reseller telling me that all DV cameras put the same quality of video down on the tape irrespective of their megapixels and other features. I have had even worse problems having to educate mobile phone sellers and exhibition people on their own hardware as I try and pry out some details missing from their litterature and reviews (like how much onboard free memory etc). Seems sales people aren't that interested in their own products as they need to be to handle modern shoppers...

That's very true. I've also worked in an Optus World store and was amazed to hear what some of my colleagues were spouting to innocent customers!

At the end of the day though, salespeople are just doing a job like anyone else and most of them don't have enough passion for the product to keep them constantly reasearching the latest information in the industry, and you can be sure that the employer won't provide it.

If you're someone who enjoys researching such things, then yes, take anything a salesperson says with a grain of salt and an entire spice rack. If you find someone who knows what they're on about you'll know anyway. Trust your own judgment. Again, on the other hand, salespeople deal with enough frustrating customers who don't have the first clue what they're talking about or what they want either that pretty soon it's easy to draw the conclusion that the features and specs of a camera don't matter if you want to shoot video, and that's probably true enough for those people.

There are plenty of stupid salespeople, but far more stupid customers ;) If you know more than the sales guy does, that's cool. Do your own thing!

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 06:05 AM
Coattaker can you tell us or get back to us about the availability of new 17" PB BTOs? Have you heard of any being made available yet?

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 06:09 AM

Hmmm...well I might just walk into AppleCentre Chatswood on Monday and buy one off the shelf, and have them fit extra RAM while I wait :) Don't worry...exactly the same thing happened with my PowerMac G5. I ordered mine only a few weeks after they were announced at WWDC, yet G5s were available in shops for a few weeks before I got mine delivered (and then it was DOA...GRRR!!!).

I won't order from direct from Apple again if I can help it (obviously not much choice with heavily customised BTO configs, but for things like RAM and AirPort cards, the dealer can do that in the shop).

coattaker
May 12, 2004, 06:10 AM
Selling IT has always been on my mind since I did computing science at uni...but I can't say that the work environment (and I guess pay????) are too inspiring. It will be very interesting to see WHEN Apple open their first store (Sydney for sure ;) ) who they hire, because if its the best and the brightest of the Apple Resellers that could be pretty interesting. The way I see it is that 6 months prior to opening Apple US should go undercover to the resellers to see who is up to scratch and have that list handy for when those people turn up to interviews...

Apple stores would be very cool even for just the free wifi...

I agree Apple stores down under would be very cool, but I'm sorry to disappoint you dude... it ain't happening any time soon. Australia means nothing to Apple. We'd all love it to, but the fact is it doesn't, plain and simple. They might open one store in Sydney at some point but it'd take them a fair while to co-ordinate anything further than that.

Apple Australia has about 200 staff. The machines aren't made here, the prices aren't set here, there is a distribution centre in Frenchs Forest and that's about it. And if you think the resellers' staff are thick, try talking to an Apple rep. We just ignore them because they are no use to anybody. All they're interested in is making sure 80% of machines are sold with extended warranty and 40% with .Mac.

And to build on a long-standing debate... the resellers know nothing about product releases or plans until they are announced. We read the rumors sites same as you. I'm sure everyone knows that. But Apple Australia don't know anything until it's announced either. Makes you wonder what they're here for really...

The thing about the Australian market is that there is one! We have a small population but we are a tech-hungry country and per capita it's quite a large market. No-one in the Apple world is catering to that and Apple Australia aren't about to, so someone or something else will have to step in and do something. That is what I mean about the landscape changing over the next few years. Not all the resellers are just puppets... watch this space.

coattaker
May 12, 2004, 06:16 AM
Coattaker can you tell us or get back to us about the availability of new 17" PB BTOs? Have you heard of any being made available yet?

I'm not sure at this stage. The 17s are hard to get hold of anyway, CTO or not, but I don't think we've had a CTO on one as yet to check. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow though.

And again about the reseller line... there is one, but it's only the line we use to contact Apple about any stock issues. Most of the time they don't know and it's easier to look on their website. In Internet Explorer of course :)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 06:19 AM
I agree Apple stores down under would be very cool, but I'm sorry to disappoint you dude... it ain't happening any time soon. Australia means nothing to Apple. We'd all love it to, but the fact is it doesn't, plain and simple. They might open one store in Sydney at some point but it'd take them a fair while to co-ordinate anything further than that.

Hey we are at least on the map with Jobs. One of the iMacs was "Bondi" blue after all :rolleyes:

Yeah, no rush to get here but I think a store in Sydney in 3-5 years is plausible. Even sooner if they really scale up the aggressive store front roll out world wide.

Apple Australia has about 200 staff. The machines aren't made here, the prices aren't set here, there is a distribution centre in Frenchs Forest and that's about it. And if you think the resellers' staff are thick, try talking to an Apple rep. We just ignore them because they are no use to anybody. All they're interested in is making sure 80% of machines are sold with extended warranty and 40% with .Mac.

Stats and quotas. Mmm. Not very inspiring. And Applecare is just such a rort at its cost.

The thing about the Australian market is that there is one! We have a small population but we are a tech-hungry country and per capita it's quite a large market. No-one in the Apple world is catering to that and Apple Australia aren't about to, so someone or something else will have to step in and do something. That is what I mean about the landscape changing over the next few years. Not all the resellers are just puppets... watch this space.

Well to my mind money talks and if a reseller can give me a solid deal that helps deflate some of Apple's high prices then I am all ears. Since resellers can do little about supply speeds it comes down to dollars and service, and we have already talked about the service issues which aren't changing anytime soon. Unless of course theres even more free training, and Australian MacWorld :), and of course free wifi ;)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure at this stage. The 17s are hard to get hold of anyway, CTO or not, but I don't think we've had a CTO on one as yet to check. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow though.

Well that would be great. Because your part of a franchise I assume you will only have limited intel on what Nextbytes access to 17s has been but anything would be welcome...

And again about the reseller line... there is one, but it's only the line we use to contact Apple about any stock issues. Most of the time they don't know and it's easier to look on their website. In Internet Explorer of course :)

Oh. That seems to fit my experience. No wonder the resellers I have dealt with look so disinterested in ringing Apple to help me out...they already know its going to be a waste of time... :mad:

coattaker
May 12, 2004, 06:32 AM
Well to my mind money talks and if a reseller can give me a solid deal that helps deflate some of Apple's high prices then I am all ears. Since resellers can do little about supply speeds it comes down to dollars and service, and we have already talked about the service issues which aren't changing anytime soon. Unless of course theres even more free training, and Australian MacWorld :), and of course free wifi ;)

Competitive pricing is somewhat of an oxymoron in the Apple world. It is true that the gross profit markup for dealers on machines is 6-8%. Work out how much that is on a PowerMac G5... or on an eMac, heaven forbid. Of course there are bonuses for meeting the attach rates mentioned earlier, but they get lifted higher as time goes on.

In the end it comes down to service and support as in many other industries these days who operate on tiny margins. And to my mind a customer who has spent several thousand dollars is entitled to some service and support. Problem is they will expect the dealers to bend over backwards and it simply isn't cost-effective to do so. The end result is the customer is often unhappy. This is why in any franchise or reseller business model, everyone loses. And the poor schmuck in the middle gets screwed over from both sides.

So as I have said, the way business is done needs to change, and it will. The resellers for the most part do the best they can, and a chain as large as Next Byte benefit from having a solid infrastructure in place, but it simply can't and won't continue more than a few years more. I can't say any more than that, and I've already said too much.

Goodnight ;)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 06:43 AM
Competitive pricing is somewhat of an oxymoron in the Apple world. It is true that the gross profit markup for dealers on machines is 6-8%. Work out how much that is on a PowerMac G5... or on an eMac, heaven forbid. Of course there are bonuses for meeting the attach rates mentioned earlier, but they get lifted higher as time goes on.

Yeah Applecare and .Mac are almost all clear profit given the quality of Apples hardware should automatically give it 3 years warranty, and .Mac is dirt cheap for them (especially here where many offers of discounts seem to be irrelevant).

In the end it comes down to service and support as in many other industries these days who operate on tiny margins. And to my mind a customer who has spent several thousand dollars is entitled to some service and support. Problem is they will expect the dealers to bend over backwards and it simply isn't cost-effective to do so. The end result is the customer is often unhappy. This is why in any franchise or reseller business model, everyone loses. And the poor schmuck in the middle gets screwed over from both sides.

:eek: Ouch. Well I see many Apple resellers around so there must be some money in it...

So as I have said, the way business is done needs to change, and it will. The resellers for the most part do the best they can, and a chain as large as Next Byte benefit from having a solid infrastructure in place, but it simply can't and won't continue more than a few years more. I can't say any more than that, and I've already said too much.

Goodnight ;)

Goodnight. I hope this means good news for us all down the track. Maybe Nextbyte could arrange and sponsor the first Australian MacWorld sometime, even if its a one off, to get Mac fans together to see the Jobs character speak.

Look forward to seeing what you can find out about the 17s

abc123
May 12, 2004, 06:50 AM
Hmmm...well I might just walk into AppleCentre Chatswood on Monday and buy one off the shelf, and have them fit extra RAM while I wait :) Don't worry...exactly the same thing happened with my PowerMac G5. I ordered mine only a few weeks after they were announced at WWDC, yet G5s were available in shops for a few weeks before I got mine delivered (and then it was DOA...GRRR!!!).

I won't order from direct from Apple again if I can help it (obviously not much choice with heavily customised BTO configs, but for things like RAM and AirPort cards, the dealer can do that in the shop).
I’ve never had a problem with ordering from apple directly. Granted, i have not had a lot of experience but each time it has been faster than what they quoted on the web page.
2 20 gig ipods: ordered about 11pm friday night, arrived tuesday.
12” powerbook + ram: i don't remember the dates but very efficient. not only that but apple went to a lot of trouble to get the paperwork for the edu discount and to verify that my mother knew I used her credit card. This included emailing, calling when we were slow getting around to replying, and then calling several more times when my brothers failed to pass on the message. Honestly I’ve been nothing but impressed with the level of customer service that they’ve shown me. My brother orders from apple more regularly than me and he has never complained either.
Maybe we've just been lucky.

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 06:52 AM
Yeah Applecare and .Mac are almost all clear profit given the quality of Apples hardware should automatically give it 3 years warranty,

imo there are two big myths when it comes to apple and one of them is their "superior" build quality... i can only speak from my own experience but in 15 years ive owned 3 pcs and 3 apples.. all 3 apples had numerous hardware problems involving lots of downtime and money spent for me... judging by the current dead pixel, wobbly case, shoddy keyboard problems on current laptops i hear about so much on these forums i dont think things have really improved...
(one of the pcs needed a fan replaced - it was down for a day and didnt cost me a thing)

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 06:54 AM
Maybe we've just been lucky.

id say youve been VERY lucky ;)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 06:58 AM
imo there are two big myths when it comes to apple and one of them is their "superior" build quality...

My view is if they charge a far amount more for their high end machines, ie PBs, then it should not only be nice to look at but should also have the quality of parts, assembly and fucntion to reflect that cost. I guess I will soon see for myself :rolleyes: ...no really, anytime now.... :(

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 07:01 AM
well yeah its something apple fanatics and apple themselves love to go on about but im just saying from my experience its completely untrue...
btw the other big myth is that macosx is more stable than windows ;)

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 07:52 AM
My view is if they charge a far amount more for their high end machines, ie PBs, then it should not only be nice to look at but should also have the quality of parts, assembly and fucntion to reflect that cost. I guess I will soon see for myself :rolleyes: ...no really, anytime now.... :(

The PowerBooks are made all made by Taiwanese or Chinese contractors, often in the same factories as notebooks from various well known x86 manufacturers. Hard drives, optical drives, LCD panels, system RAM, video RAM, battery cells, GPUs and cooling fans are all commodity items sourced from the same manufacturers that are used in x86 systems, and often these are even exactly the same model. You are paying extra for Apple's R&D effort and excellent industrial design, no doubt. And the quality of construction is better than the AU$1999 Dell notebook special of the day. But make no mistake...a lot of the premium you pay for an Apple machine is pure margin. It's been repeated over and over again on these forums...Apple won't get into the cut throat low-end desktop market, because there is hardly any margin to be made. Apple is a company whose business model survives on selling boutique systems in relatively small numbers, at relatively large profit margins.

My feeling is that the overall reliability of Apple's hardware is not any different from the hardware of any quality x86 vendor. I realise that the plural of anecdote is not 'data', but in my own personal experience, I have had a dead-on-arrival 1.6GHz G5 PowerMac, a replacement G5 PowerMac which had a faulty video card (currently being fixed), a 12" PowerBook whose battery module didn't mount flush with the rest of the chassis from day 1, and a close friend whose 17" PowerBook's backlight flickered on and off when the screen was moved, from about 2 weeks after he bought it (and it took almost 3 weeks to be repaired). And this is after only using Macs since late September 2003, ie: not even one year yet.

So basically all 3 Apple machines I have owned have had a fault (one DOA, one needing a key component replaced, and the other with a minor cosmetic/structural defect). Previously, I had used x86 systems since 1988. In that time, I had a very elderly IBM PC/JX (4.77MHz 8088, 256KB RAM) blow its video chip, and a Dell Inspiron 4100 have its IBM Travelstar hard drive go bad (and it was replaced on-site by a Dell technician the next day). And that's it. Oh yes, sorry, I did buy a faulty stick of RAM once, but my Athlon XP system at the time crashed immediately after I installed it, so I took it out and got my money back from the retailer.

I'm not trying to say "Apple hardware is all crap and all x86 hardware is great"...no doubt I've had a run of bad luck with my Apple experiences to date. But don't think that the extra you pay for an Apple machine is all going into extra build quality or superior components. It's mostly going into covering higher R&D costs, and of course pumping up large profit margins. That gets even harder to swallow when you go and read your warranty agreement...it's crap. 90 days phone support and 1 year return to base? Please...as I mentioned in another post, a AU$299 Lexmark laser printer comes with a better warranty, not to mention everything Dell sells.

So...enjoy your PowerBook when it arrives. And take bloody good care of it! And take everything you read here with a large grain of salt (and please feel free to include my comments in that too) :)

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 08:04 AM

This got me thinking...it's a little like choosing a car and paying a little extra because you like the styling, the handling, or the performance, but not necessarily for the reliability and build quality. I bought a Peugeot 206 about 18 months ago, because I loved the way it handled around tight corners, the way you could throw it over speed bumps and barely feel it, the way it was perky in traffic but didn't suck down fuel like the space shuttle, and the way it looked! Peugeot charges a premium on the 206 which is a little above similarly sized cars like the Echo or the Jazz (or even the Corolla). However, I also knew when I bought it (from doing a lot of web research, as well as my own touchy-feely tests) that the build quality and the mechanical/electrical reliability of the 206 wasn't up to the same level as its Japanese competitors, and its warranty is one of the crappiest in the industry (2 years).

When I think about it, it kind of reminds me of the PowerBook. Handles well, decent performer, looks great, and comes at a premium price. However, reliability probably isn't above industry averages, and the warranty falls below par.

Sorry for the crappy analogy...the 206 and the PowerBook are the same colour :)

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 08:13 AM
a 12" PowerBook whose battery module didn't mount flush with the rest of the chassis from day 1

isnt this normal? i seem to remember reading somewhere on these forums that this was common to all apple laptops...

no doubt I've had a run of bad luck with my Apple experiences to date.

i really love apple and it pains me too say it but from my own experience and from talking to other apple owners and from what i hear on the internet faulty hardware and long waits for service are all just a normal part of the apple experience...

LifeIsCheap
May 12, 2004, 08:14 AM
This got me thinking...it's a little like choosing a car and paying a little extra because you like the styling, the handling, or the performance, but not necessarily for the reliability and build quality. I bought a Peugeot 206 about 18 months ago, because I loved the way it handled around tight corners, the way you could throw it over speed bumps and barely feel it, the way it was perky in traffic but didn't suck down fuel like the space shuttle, and the way it looked! Peugeot charges a premium on the 206 which is a little above similarly sized cars like the Echo or the Jazz (or even the Corolla).

Aw... c'mon, I know it's off topic but a 206??? You want a Mini!

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 08:16 AM
isnt that a girls car? :p

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 08:19 AM
Apple is a company whose business model survives on selling boutique systems in relatively small numbers, at relatively large profit margins.

It's mostly going into covering higher R&D costs, and of course pumping up large profit margins. That gets even harder to swallow when you go and read your warranty agreement...it's crap. 90 days phone support and 1 year return to base? Please...as I mentioned in another post, a AU$299 Lexmark laser printer comes with a better warranty, not to mention everything Dell sells.

Yeah, its pretty disappointing if something goes wrong. They should at least have a policy about extending the warranty by a set amount if you are without it because of warranty related repairs. Something like for each 7 calender days or part thereof you get an extra months full warranty added to the existing warranty would be a start.

LifeIsCheap
May 12, 2004, 08:19 AM
isnt that a girls car? :p

<Points to chick in passenger seat> Apparently not. Unless of course you are referring to the 206... :rolleyes:

mateybob
May 12, 2004, 08:21 AM
<Points to chick in passenger seat> Apparently not. Unless of course you are referring to the 206... :rolleyes:
oh please... the 206 is a mans car all over.. :p
anyway dont look at me i drive a jazz ;)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 08:22 AM

A tricked out cooper s...but what, no sat nav. Tut tut. ;)

LifeIsCheap
May 12, 2004, 08:23 AM
oh please... the 206 is a mans car all over.. :p
anyway dont look at me i drive a jazz ;)

Hehehehe... I gave one of those to my girlfriend <points back to chick in car> for her birthday!!! (Seriously!)

Point proven. <Retires to bed with satisfied, yet purile, grin>

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 08:24 AM

Ooooh them's fightin' words! :)

Three words: World Rally Championship.

Your minis did look very pretty in The Italian Job though. ;)

LifeIsCheap
May 12, 2004, 08:25 AM
A tricked out cooper s...but what, no sat nav. Tut tut. ;)

SatNav = $3,500
Book of Maps = $20

Savings = iBook that has just shipped plus change for more than enough beers down the local! Woo-hoo!

(I'd like SatNav to be honest, but $3,500!!!! Nahh....)

LifeIsCheap
May 12, 2004, 08:27 AM
Ooooh them's fightin' words! :)

Three words: World Rally Championship.

Your minis did look very pretty in The Italian Job though. ;)

Awwww... shucks. You're too kind :o

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 08:27 AM
SatNav = $3,500
Book of Maps = $20

Savings = iBook that has just shipped plus change for more than enough beers down the local! Woo-hoo!

(I'd like SatNav to be honest, but $3,500!!!! Nahh....)

Friend of mine joked when I was looking at a cooper-s that the Sat Nav was a necessary option because there was bugger all room for a street directory. :p

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 05:40 PM
Heads Up!...my reseller just advised me that I can expect my 17" BTO PB this afternoon :eek: :D :cool:

I could be posting tonight for the first time from a Mac... :p

Flowbee
May 12, 2004, 06:50 PM
Heads Up!...my reseller just advised me that I can expect my 17" BTO PB this afternoon :eek: :D :cool:

I could be posting tonight for the first time from a Mac... :p

We're expecting a full report!

MyLeftNut
May 12, 2004, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah, that'd be right aswitcher, bloody Sydney gets their BTOs before Melbourne...still, good news though. It can only mean mine is not far away. :)

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah, that'd be right aswitcher, bloody Sydney gets their BTOs before Melbourne...still, good news though. It can only mean mine is not far away. :)

I think distribution is through Forestville NSW which may account for a days delay to other States.

LifeIsCheap
May 12, 2004, 07:24 PM
I think distribution is through Forestville NSW which may account for a days delay to other States.
Just got my BTO iBook that I ordered last Friday! Delivery was via French's Forest. <7days from web site to iBook in my sweaty palms!! Woo-hoo! <drives home in his Mini to play with new toy> :D

markh
May 12, 2004, 08:17 PM
Aw... c'mon, I know it's off topic but a 206??? You want a Mini!

Nah.. Happy with my Clio Sport :)

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 08:26 PM
Nah.. Happy with my Clio Sport :)

Hmmm...nice. Good to see some other French hot hatch owners here :)

And to bring it back on topic...who also own Macs.

oingoboingo
May 12, 2004, 08:27 PM

Do you mean Frenchs Forest?

aswitcher
May 12, 2004, 09:09 PM
Do you mean Frenchs Forest?

Ah :o maybe I do, but Forestville is a legit suburb as well.

locopano
May 12, 2004, 11:54 PM
No offence to the small, very small# of re-sellers out there.
I think apple doesnt care about its resellers cos they are a bunch of retarded tossers. They give bad advice, dont know crap about 3rd party compatibility (but sell the products) and barely know about there own products. But its like that in many markerts like digital camera & video cameras etc.

I think there are two acceptions NextByte and ComputersNow in melbourne. Within these re-sellers only a handful of employees know what there talking about.

My experience with apple hardware however has been awesome. I've been through 12" iBook, 15" Ti PB, and 17" 1.3GHZ PB, now waiting for the 17" 1.5.

The fact that they give you a 3 year warranty for free with your PB isnt just a random amount of years plucked outta the sky. Its a highly developed equation that statisticians or consultants would have got for apple. So you can bet that it should last that long, cos apple wouldnt provide it for free.They know that this warranty period is most profitable for them and probabyl the least costly.

The add-on apple care is just a money tree for them.

Sorry to those apple resellers that know something... to the REST you all MUPPETS.

ALSO i heard that some dude is buying a 17" appel display... I WOULD highly reccomend a FORMAC (www.formac.com) LCD display over a apple one.

Its much better quality,faster, clearler, comes with DVI and ADC, 3 year warranty and its $1190

www.desktoppower.com.au sells them in Melbourne. I can send you a SPECS comparison sheet which will show you exactly howmuch better they are...

The screen rate is 4x FASTER!!!

PM me or just reply and we can organise to have the PDF sent or shown...
that also goes for any other DISPLAYS... they have a 19" and 20" too
The Formac Gallery range are priced at:

Gallery 1740 $1190.00 inc gst
Gallery 1900 $1790.00 inc gst
Gallery 2010 $2290.00 inc gst

PS: im not a reseller...

Ozi
May 13, 2004, 12:13 AM
good reading... I want any of the afore mentioned cars... I love European hot hatches, and almost bought a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport (very rare, but quicker than a clio sport, a mini (not faster than a mini cooper-s) and a 206...
http://cuprasport.8m.com/cupra7.jpg

*drools*

but anyway, the buil time (on Apple A website) of my 15" has dropped from 9-11 days to 6-8 days, and since I ordered it the same time as aswitcher, Im hoping it is in Forestville, and will get to Victoria by tomorrow... *fingers crossed*

and I want a full run down on the new 17", aswitcher! :)

~ozi

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 12:45 AM
Well its less than an hour to go to the time they said I could pick it up... :D

Back soon.

Oh, and can anyone think of anything else I need to do with a new PB?

Check all parts have been included
Examine PB chasis and screen for physical defects
Powerup as per instructions - Time?

Machine name

Account Setups
> passwords
> log on pictures
> turn auto-login off / turn fast switching on
> Keychains (Locking?)

Firmware Password
Root Password?

Applecare install / virex

Install Microsoft Office

Internet Access (Reilly 509 / Firewall 517)
> multihoming Sydney / Adsl / Queensland
>>> Pixel check
> Email accounts
>. Mac Account (page 525)
> iDisk
> Quicktime Pro buy and download

iTunes
> album art fetcher

Account Personalisation
> Wallpaper / Screen savers
> Icon changes
> Power Settings
> Startup items for accounts

Printer setup
Scanner Setup
Speaker Setup
Camera Software Setup

Network with PC
> get mail / import
> get bookmarks
> get documents
> get movies
> get music -> import itunes?

Speech recognition / effects

Backups DVD

PB Receipt to Salary Packaging Fax!
Warranty register Applecare
Home insurance portable item nrma!
PB Serial Number (on box)
Micrsoft Windows Serial Number

Reuven
May 13, 2004, 01:09 AM
:( i still dont have mine... unfortunately ive been stuck at uni all day and unable to call DJs...
when did your order get placed reuven?

Sorry I did not answer sooner!

I've just been having so much fun with my PB.

Placed my order on the 20th April (a day after the new range of PB were released in the states)

When did you place your order ?

Let me know when you receive your :D :D

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 01:18 AM
Well its less than an hour to go to the time they said I could pick it up... :D

Back soon.

Oh, and can anyone think of anything else I need to do with a new PB?

That's a pretty impressive checklist you have there. I suppose you've had long enough to think about it :) I would add to it (as part of the initial machine setup) a battery calibration. This is mentioned in the manual also, so there's nothing too mysterious about it. After OS X is all installed and set up, run the PowerBook off battery power until it gives you the warning message, and eventually puts itself to sleep. Then connect the AC adapter, and charge it up (you can be using it at the same time) until the battery is 100% full. This will calibrate the battery and let OS X give you a more accurate indication of how much battery life is actually there.

It's in the manual somewhere. You can do it whenever you want (and you can do it as much as is necessary), but if you're trying to get everything started on the right foot, you might as well do it when the PB is brand new.

Speaking of new laptops, one of my friends at work just had his new Dell Inspiro 9100 delivered today. Sure...the specifications on that machine are pretty impressive (3.2GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility, 7200rpm hard drive, 1680x1200 15.4" screen, dual channel DDR SDRAM), but DAMN!!! I've never seen a notebook as thick as that one!!! It actually looks like three whole notebooks stacked on top of each other when the lid is closed!! Anyway, this friend of mine is a total gaming freak, and knew exactly what the 9100 was like before he ordered it...he wanted something that performed close to a desktop system that he could occasionally lug around, so it suits him perfectly. I hope Dell bundles coupons for the chiropractor with it!

Needless to say, you shouldn't have that problem with your 17" PB when it arrives :)

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 01:25 AM
The fact that they give you a 3 year warranty for free with your PB isnt just a random amount of years plucked outta the sky. Its a highly developed equation that statisticians or consultants would have got for apple. So you can bet that it should last that long, cos apple wouldnt provide it for free.They know that this warranty period is most profitable for them and probabyl the least costly.

Are you talking about an extra warranty that some resellers bundle with PowerBooks they sell? The standard Apple warranty is only 1 year, and can be extended out to 3 years if you pay through the nose for AppleCare.

If you are talking about a reseller provided warranty, who has one of these? I've just lined up someone to buy my current 12" PowerBook and I'm scoping around the dealers for the best price on a new 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook. If someone bundles an extended warranty, I'm there!

Of course I could have completely misunderstood your post also.

abc123
May 13, 2004, 01:28 AM
edu purchases get three years too :)

Ozi
May 13, 2004, 01:41 AM
yup. :)

oh and in answer to a question about 3 pages ago :O my dad is an academic (works at monash uni) so he gets the edu discount through that. Im sooooooo impatient, waiting for this comp! :D

~ozi

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 01:55 AM

Really!?! I didn't know that. My new 12" PowerBook is going to be bought using my University of New South Wales student card. Wow that's quite a bonus. Do you have a link or anything to Apple's web site where they mention that? A friend of mine also bought a G5 last year using his student card for an educational discount and I don't think he knows about that either.

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 01:58 AM
yup. :)

oh and in answer to a question about 3 pages ago :O my dad is an academic (works at monash uni) so he gets the edu discount through that. Im sooooooo impatient, waiting for this comp! :D

~ozi

I think it was me that asked the question :) That's good then...I was trying to think of how you were going to pull off an .edu discount as well as a salary packaging deal through your dad if your dad wasn't in the educational system somehow. Now it's all clear to me...

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 02:02 AM

Just read the Terms and Conditions page linked off the Apple Educational store site. It confirms the three year warranty. Thanks for the tip! I really didn't know that .edu customers got the extra 2 years. Sure as hell beats paying over $500 for AppleCare to get much the same thing :)

Ozi
May 13, 2004, 02:08 AM
yep, and you get a big discount on RRP too... edu discount is a beautiful thing.

Oh and I was about to get the webmaster of Apple Australia to email you when you posted that reply... but you dont list an email address. :P

~ozi

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 02:20 AM
yep, and you get a big discount on RRP too... edu discount is a beautiful thing.

Oh and I was about to get the webmaster of Apple Australia to email you when you posted that reply... but you dont list an email address. :P

~ozi

I knew about the discount off the RRP...it certainly is a beautiful thing :) Like I said, a friend bought a G5 last year and got a nice discount off it, as he used his Macquarie Uni student card (right before he handed in his PhD thesis). The extra warranty thing was the surprise bonus to me. Thanks for the offer, but I just called Apple and spoke with one of their educational salespeople and he confirmed the extra warranty also.

Well that's just about made my day :)

locopano
May 13, 2004, 02:23 AM
You get a 3 year warranty with educational discount... and its fully transferrable if you re-sell it.. I bought a second hand 1GHZ superdrive TiBooka while back and when i called apple care they said that all EDU purchses come with a 3 year waranty! When i bought my first PB ages ago, the tosser of a re-seller said he would "THROW IN" apple care for free cos i was a student.

Ozi
May 13, 2004, 02:29 AM
yup many things can be said of Apple Australia, but them not looking after students isnt one of them.

They do good by us. :) And im pleased it "made your day." What would make my day would be for my computer to arrive! LOL

~ozi

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 02:53 AM
...new powerbook plugged in and on charge. :D

Very nice girl at the store said to charge it for 5 hours before playing with it... :(

locopano
May 13, 2004, 02:58 AM
:eek: ...new powerbook plugged in and on charge. :D

Very nice girl at the store said to charge it for 5 hours before playing with it... :(

YOU GOT IT!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! SO when did you put your order through? how many days you been waiting?????

I need to have mine before the 2nd of June! FINGERS CROSSED

But the later it comes the more study (theoretically) i will get done.. except for the fact that i check this post every half hour to see whats happeiong with the 17"BTO's......

you are a lucky bastard... can you post a pic so i can drool.......

Also did you get apple to put in !GIG (1 sicj or 2 sticks of 512MB????

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 03:02 AM
:eek:

YOU GOT IT!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! SO when did you put your order through? how many days you been waiting?????

Saturday of the Anzac day long weekend...order probably went through the last Tuesday in April.

But the later it comes the more study (theoretically) i will get done.. except for the fact that i check this post every half hour to see whats happeiong with the 17"BTO's......

you are a lucky bastard... can you post a pic so i can drool.......

Also did you get apple to put in !GIG (1 sicj or 2 sticks of 512MB????

I can post a pic if someone can tell me how :o

I just got the extra 512MB. I really dont need more than a gig, and not at the cost that a single 1 gig stick comes in at.

locopano
May 13, 2004, 03:04 AM
you have to upload it onto the net... have it hosted somewhere...

i think you iDisk should do? Then you just paste the link in the post and insert image there...

Hmmm not to clear direction but you shoudl get it in time....

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 03:13 AM
you have to upload it onto the net... have it hosted somewhere...

i think you iDisk should do? Then you just paste the link in the post and insert image there...

Hmmm not to clear direction but you shoudl get it in time....

Thanks. It may not be for several more hours, because I have a lot todo tonight :)

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 03:45 AM

Hmmm...what was she referring to? Not the PowerBook? :D

I don't think there should be a problem using it while it charges (the PowerBook, that is). The only thing is that the charging will occur more slowly is the machine is being used than if it is switched off. I just checked my 12" PowerBook manual and it doesn't say anything about needing to switch the machine off while charging for the first time, or going through the battery calibration routine.

One small clarification about the battery calibration...I forgot to mention that the battery should first be fully charged before fully running it down, and then fully recharging it. Sorry. You've probably found and read that section in the manual by now anyway.

mateybob
May 13, 2004, 03:45 AM
got mine today...
one dead pixel :(
im going to hassle DJs to the death about this...

eni
May 13, 2004, 03:48 AM
So glad to hear you got it aswitcher. Especially because that 'should' mean everyone waiting should be getting theirs. Nobody should be without their PBs! (said by the guy laying in bed typing on his :D)

aussie_geek
May 13, 2004, 04:08 AM

aswitcher,

The girl at the store is having a lend of you. Just plug the adaptor in and fire it up man!! The manual doesn't say anything about pluging it in and not using it for 5 hours :confused:

Just calibrate the battery - the method has been discussed in this forum before..

aussie_geek ;)

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 04:26 AM
One small clarification about the battery calibration...I forgot to mention that the battery should first be fully charged before fully running it down, and then fully recharging it. Sorry. You've probably found and read that section in the manual by now anyway.

Well I now have a green light on the charger so any minute now it goes on! :D

Yeah I have read that section. Just taking my time enjoying putting it all together properly.

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 04:28 AM
got mine today...
one dead pixel :(
im going to hassle DJs to the death about this...

Go the massage with that pixel with a clean hankey or glasses cloth and see if with "gentle" manipulation it resets itself.

mateybob
May 13, 2004, 05:47 AM
Go the massage with that pixel with a clean hankey or glasses cloth and see if with "gentle" manipulation it resets itself.

not sure what gentle means exactly but i gave it a try and it didnt do a thing... its not "stuck", the red transistor just doesnt work.. fullstop..

i wasnt annoyed when my old laptop got a dead pixel after 3 years but having one the minute you open the box is just infuriating...

other than that its great so far...

locopano
May 13, 2004, 06:08 AM
Hows the 17"PB? Is it super fast with the GB ram?

Also does the 128VRAM make games better? DVD's better? Final Cut playback better? cos i dont play games but to tell you the TRUTH, inm not 100% what the upgrade will do for me, i just got it as i practically free with my 5400RP< upgrade.... both upgrades cost me $70 AUD :D

Before you all ask its a long story.

I just worked out tho that if you were so inclined, a new POWERBOOK 17" w/5400rpm + 128VRAM upgrade could cost you only $1900. Assumptions you were on highest tax bracket, you own your own business and you could get a EDU price with a receipt that had your business name on it without mention of the edu price. That is if you were so inclined. :D

PS i'm not in this situation..

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 06:24 AM
Hows the 17"PB? Is it super fast with the GB ram?

Just got off the phone with Apple. Appears my PB is DOA. It might be the ram that my reseller installed (here's hoping) but Apple think its a DOA.

abc123
May 13, 2004, 06:39 AM
after all that?
i'd be mighty pissed off :(
i hope they are much much quicker fixing/replacing

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 06:50 AM
after all that?
i'd be mighty pissed off :(
i hope they are much much quicker fixing/replacing

:mad:

After something like 9+ months of reading books and magazines about macs, figuring out what I wanted, saving my pennies, waiting for new models, watching the exchange rate and local pricing, sorting out salary sacrificing, buying accessories locally and from the US, and then finally putting my order in (and >$6k cash for everything I wanted) and waiting like 2.5 weeks to get it, and now I get what I consider the finest laptop to be had and its DOA...

I figure from what people have said about Apple Australia and Apple UK that I can expect to wait at a minimum 2 weeks, more likely more whilst a new machine ships...

Can't say I am having much fun switching at present...

Guess I'll have my currently newly purchased but useless iPod to keep me company... :(

Ozi
May 13, 2004, 07:09 AM
im so sorry to hear that. :(

My condolences... I now really hope that wont happen to me. Did apple say what made it Dead? Is there a known problem with shipping/components which leads to them being DOA?

That sucks mate.

~ozi

Reuven
May 13, 2004, 07:19 AM
:mad:

After something like 9+ months of reading books and magazines about macs, figuring out what I wanted, saving my pennies, waiting for new models, watching the exchange rate and local pricing, sorting out salary sacrificing, buying accessories locally and from the US, and then finally putting my order in (and >$6k cash for everything I wanted) and waiting like 2.5 weeks to get it, and now I get what I consider the finest laptop to be had and its DOA...

I figure from what people have said about Apple Australia and Apple UK that I can expect to wait at a minimum 2 weeks, more likely more whilst a new machine ships...

Can't say I am having much fun switching at present...

Guess I'll have my currently newly purchased but useless iPod to keep me company... :(

aswitcher I really feel for you! :( :( I,m like you was reading mags checking out this forum & waiting for an upgrade within the PB range.

Hang in there as I know this eposide has given you a bad taste for apple.

Hope all goes well & that you will get you PB up and running.

Regards,

Reuven

mateybob
May 13, 2004, 08:00 AM
see what i was saying about the quality of apple hardware? :p

locopano
May 13, 2004, 08:01 AM
Why is it that only people that are in these forums recieve duds or pixel problems... i think i might leave these forums as they must be bad luck.. i have never heard of anyhting like i have since i started looking on forums around 1 month ago....

ASWITCHER that sucks man.... im so sorry to hear that.... WTF happened?

Everythign was peachy when i read your last post.. you were chargin the PB up etc? was the RAM installed at your reseller? cos they would have tested it there if so to see that it was installeed successfully?

It must have had a rough ride in transit or something....???

I reckon stay off the forums.. they sem to bring really bad luck... I'm even getting spooked by all this stuff that i read.. alsmost like im anticipating some probelms....

mateybob
May 13, 2004, 08:06 AM
i think if you hadnt heard of dead pixels theres a good chance you would never notice them on modern resolutions... thats probably why ;p

eni
May 13, 2004, 08:27 AM
DOA??? You have GOT to be kidding me... Man, i feel so bad for you.
Hope...it gets sorted out...somehow...quickly...

(by the way don't get offended by this suggestion, as I know this isn't it but I was just trying to think of something, anything, that might help this. Ok, terrible suggestion 1 - make sure you hold the power button down for a couple of seconds, it doesn't work if you just tap it. Sorry, I know, I know that isn't it. I just wish it was for you)

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 08:37 AM
Just got off the phone with Apple. Appears my PB is DOA. It might be the ram that my reseller installed (here's hoping) but Apple think its a DOA.

Man, that sucks. What symptoms are you experiencing? Random crashes and lockups? Have you tried removing the RAM that the dealer added? I think I remember you saying that you had 2 x 512MB sticks of RAM, so you should be able to remove one.

I hate to say it, but your experiences are pretty close to mine when I got my G5. I'd been looking into OS X for about 6 months. I even went so far as to buy an old PowerMac 7600/120 from eBay and upgrade it with a G3 CPU card so I could test drive OS X better than I could in a shop. And then when my G5 finally arrived after months of waiting, it was DOA. <sigh>

Here's hoping Apple can sort this out quickly. It probably wouldn't hurt to mention that this is your first Mac, and that you've waited so long to make the final purchase. Let us know how it goes.

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 04:34 PM
ASWITCHER that sucks man.... im so sorry to hear that.... WTF happened?

Everythign was peachy when i read your last post.. you were chargin the PB up etc? was the RAM installed at your reseller? cos they would have tested it there if so to see that it was installeed successfully?

It must have had a rough ride in transit or something....???

I live in the same suburb as my reseller and I was cautious getting it home...

So for everyone here's what happened.

I left it charging - noting the battery was all ready more than half charged.

About 8:20pm last night the charger went green. So I pushed the powerbutton briefly and waited. Startup tune occured. Screen flashed light blue a few times but settled into a black screen. Could hear the harddisk humming along. Waited 5 minutes. Nothing.

I then followed the instructions in the manual and forced a reboot. Same thing occured.

I then followed other instructions in the manual to reboot with like 6 keys pressed. Same thing.

I then put the first of the two service disks in that came with the PB and rebooted. Holding down the option key I heard the startup noise and waited as the screen flashed a bit. Then the screen it settled into a series of thin different coloured verticle stripes. Unimpressed I booted again and held the pad key down to eject the disk.

I rang Apple help line and explained my situation on a bad phone line to a guy at the other end after giving my details over. Hearing I had tried the disk he said it sounded DOA...Dead on Arrival. I explained my reseller had just installed some ram and that the manual mentioned that as a possible startup problem. He said maybe, but said symptoms suggested DOA. He said check with reseller about ram but if that wasn't it call Apple again. When I mentioned it was a BTO and I was concerned if it needed to be replaced it could be some weeks, he agreed that could be the case. He also mentioned that at least it wasn't a 15" because they are in high demand...

So thats my story for the various posts inquiring what my first experience of owning an Apple has been.

So in an hour or so I will head over to my reseller on foot with the all the gear that came with the PB back in its nice box and see what happens.

:(

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 06:29 PM
DOA turned out to be because of bad ram. Reseller went for another brand and it WORKS! :D

locopano
May 13, 2004, 06:52 PM
I just spoke to my firend who had a similar problem this morning.. he goes to me that its the RAM for sure.. he had exactly the same problem and he said it was cos the re-sellers put in **** RAM sticks..... He went back to the re-seller and got his money back and went and bought a new one from another store... this was a long time ago tho.... but yeah he was pissed cos he asked for a specific type of RAM and they sold him something different and dodgy... He then quoted the TPA and demanded for his cash back...

But your machine is fine... he only did that outta principle, PLUS there was heaps of otehr PB's in stock lying around back then....

oingoboingo
May 13, 2004, 09:59 PM
DOA turned out to be because of bad ram. Reseller went for another brand and it WORKS! :D

Great news! Apple hardware seems to be more choosy about RAM than PC hardware, so the dodgy RAM isn't all that surprising. Enjoy the new PB!

aswitcher
May 13, 2004, 11:25 PM
Update

Because of intermitant startup problems it looks like the PB will be goign back anyway. Still getting things sorted out and tested. Guess this means I will have to learn pretty quick the best way to transfer files and apps via dvd burn so that I can save myself some time when a new machine comes...

Reuven
May 13, 2004, 11:41 PM
Why is it that only people that are in these forums recieve duds or pixel problems...

Well I waited 3 weeks for mine to arrive and counted the days an hours like some kind of freak.

If I got a dud god know what I would be doing :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: rant rant !!!

But prasie the lord :D my 15" is working like a dream I,ve got the wireless networking going with no trouble and took me 5 mins to get it rolling might add with full bars! & got a MX 900 Logitec mouse going.

No complaints from me except it will take me a few weeks to get use to OS X and work out the other programs as well

Good luck aswitcher hope you get you PB soon and in perfect order ;) :D :D :D :D

Ozi
May 14, 2004, 12:41 AM
lucky reuven! :)

well I was hoping to get mine today, but doesnt look like thats going to happen... I will have to wait ANOTHER weekend. :( oh the tragedy of it all... :D And yeah we've got wireless here with optus cable, so it should be good.

Also, i will be getting a mouse... is the logitex a good one? is it bluetooth?

aussie_geek
May 14, 2004, 01:48 AM
Well I waited 3 weeks for mine to arrive and counted the days an hours like some kind of freak.

If I got a dud god know what I would be doing :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: rant rant !!!

But prasie the lord :D my 15" is working like a dream I,ve got the wireless networking going with no trouble and took me 5 mins to get it rolling might add with full bars! & got a MX 900 Logitec mouse going.

No complaints from me except it will take me a few weeks to get use to OS X and work out the other programs as well

Good luck aswitcher hope you get you PB soon and in perfect order ;) :D :D :D :D

Well done Reuven!! Good to see you are surfing wirelessly !!

aussie_geek

aussie_geek
May 14, 2004, 01:53 AM
Update

Because of intermitant startup problems it looks like the PB will be goign back anyway. Still getting things sorted out and tested. Guess this means I will have to learn pretty quick the best way to transfer files and apps via dvd burn so that I can save myself some time when a new machine comes...

aswitcher,

I cannot begin to say how sorry I feel for you. You have been one of the most enthusiastic people on this forum regarding Powerbooks and a DOA landed in your lap :( :( :(

I hope your problems wil be sorted quickly as you have been waiting soooo long...

Just remember that OSX isn't going anywhere fast so if another week or so without it is definately worth the wait.

cheers man

ausssie_geek ;)

aswitcher
May 15, 2004, 05:03 AM
aswitcher,

I cannot begin to say how sorry I feel for you. You have been one of the most enthusiastic people on this forum regarding Powerbooks and a DOA landed in your lap :( :( :(

I hope your problems wil be sorted quickly as you have been waiting soooo long...

Just remember that OSX isn't going anywhere fast so if another week or so without it is definately worth the wait.

cheers man

ausssie_geek ;)

Thanks aussie_geek.

Well my PB went back to the reseller today with intermitent screen problems on bootup. I have a avi movie of the startup sequence to demonstrate the problem incase Apple Australia question the problem exists.

The update.

Well yesterday (Friday) afternoon the machine worked a treat. Only thing that happened that soured the day was the appearance of a stuck pixel :( I hadn;t used the screen more than 5 hours for that to happen. In a way its a blessing its now gone.

Then this morning having left it powered off but with almost a full charge on the wooden dining room table overnight, I open it up, move my radtech screen protector ;) and hit the power button, I get the start sound, and soon the screen flashes pale blue, then goes black, then is replaced with flickering coloured horizontal lines :eek:

I take my pics. I force power it off, and try again. Same result. The third time round I film it from start to splutter. I leave it a while. Change locations try again. Same thing.

I plan to pack it up but before I do I pull out the battery put it in a start it up one last time and it works! :eek: It continues to power up fine after that.

But its far too tempremental for a brand new top of the line, fully speced Apple machine that I paid thousands for me to put up with - so back it went. My reseller agreed that it was a lemon, likely the graphics processor (which is on the single form logic board) or possibly the screen connectors. In any case its broke and I dont want it. I wouldn't buy a brand new foreign car and put up with a machine whose electrics decided to work at random intervals.

So I am still a PC user.

No eta on a replacement PB. Likely 2 weeks minimum from what I can see of Apple's orders. At least being a 17 it should be a bit easeier to get given what Apple hinted at on the demands for 15s in Oz.

Anyway for those of you who are interested thats the latest. At least I got a few hours to play with the interface, set some stuff up, test UT2K4 ;) , listent o some tunes, tested the dvd player, and played with expose and user switching.

I would be interest in hearing of others stories, hopefully all successful ones, and any comments switchers have had especially.

Anyway I might be off the air for a while as I am off to AusCERT 2004, sans a laptop/powerbook. :( Hopefully my friends there will be willing to buy me a few drinks at night and listen to my tales of woe.

Ozi
May 15, 2004, 05:23 AM
thanks for the update!!!

im sorry your first experience with Apple was so s***. Also, how was UT 2004? good frame rates? :D I am wondering if I should buy it, along with Halo.

I hope you at least get some free beers! insist on Crownies... the best Aussie beer (in my opinion.)

Cheers!

~ozi

aswitcher
May 15, 2004, 05:58 AM
thanks for the update!!!

im sorry your first experience with Apple was so s***. Also, how was UT 2004? good frame rates?

~ozi

Definetly playable. Not sure how to figure out exact frame rates, but I played for an hour or so to see the different games, and found it fine even with some higher settings.

coattaker
May 15, 2004, 06:09 AM
No offence to the small, very small# of re-sellers out there.
I think apple doesnt care about its resellers cos they are a bunch of retarded tossers. They give bad advice, dont know crap about 3rd party compatibility (but sell the products) and barely know about there own products. But its like that in many markerts like digital camera & video cameras etc.

No offence taken :) lol

aswitcher
May 15, 2004, 06:14 AM
No offence taken :) lol

Hey Coattaker your back!

Any news from inside the Apple?

Ozi
May 15, 2004, 06:15 AM
yeah, like have you guys got my 15" pBook yet?! :D

coattaker
May 15, 2004, 06:25 AM
Hey aswitcher,

Sorry to hear about your DOA powerbook. It's disturbing the number of DOAs we are getting these days. A lot of them are due to RAM problems however. It seems the new hardware is getting more and more touchy about what RAM you put in it and many resellers seem to be frying logic boards by putting in the wrong RAM and then sending the machine back to Apple as DOA! lol

The supply of new Powerbooks is actually quite good this time around. Normally it takes ages for any new product to ship in quantity, but we're getting good supplies so that's good.

Only other news I have is about Tiger. I sent a report off to arn but it hasn't been published as yet. Apparently it is planned for release in September and will sport a much more 3D interface, apparently surpassing what Sun have been up to in their Looking Glass project. Also a whole new .mac interface in the works from what I hear, and finally fixing the lousy speeds when copying files to iDisk. And one more thing, 4th gen iPods are confirmed as being in the works, with 'many of the features floating around on the rumour sites'.

That's all I know for now!

aswitcher
May 15, 2004, 06:34 AM
Hey aswitcher,

Sorry to hear about your DOA powerbook. It's disturbing the number of DOAs we are getting these days. A lot of them are due to RAM problems however. It seems the new hardware is getting more and more touchy about what RAM you put in it and many resellers seem to be frying logic boards by putting in the wrong RAM and then sending the machine back to Apple as DOA! lol

Oh. Do Apple resist the DOA and a fight ensues or do they wear it?

Only other news I have is about Tiger. I sent a report off to arn but it hasn't been published as yet. Apparently it is planned for release in September and will sport a much more 3D interface, apparently surpassing what Sun have been up to in their Looking Glass project.

Sounds good. Wow 4 months and I'll have to upgrade my os...

Also a whole new .mac interface in the works from what I hear, and finally fixing the lousy speeds when copying files to iDisk.

Hope thats a freebie.

And one more thing, 4th gen iPods are confirmed as being in the works, with 'many of the features floating around on the rumour sites'.

That's all I know for now!

But when to be released is the question...

So are BTOs about 2 weeks...in other words is that how long I likely have wait until I see my replacement PB?

Ozi
May 15, 2004, 06:39 AM
Also, I ordered a 15" BTO about Anzac day. Can you give me any idea as to how long till it shows up? I know that 15"s are highly in demand... :rolleyes:

coattaker
May 15, 2004, 05:36 PM
Apple doesn't fight the DOA request because they don't know that the machine has been fried because of faulty RAM. Then again, perhaps they do, but they don't say anything.

I'm thinking that this time around they've been a bit smarter and made up several of the more common CTO combinations in advance and that's why some people's are shipping more quickly this time around.

If I were you aswitcher I'd be onto Apple and explaining your situation. No need to be angry about it, but just tell them how disappointed you are and that you have several friends looking at making the move to Mac too and they aren't too impressed. There are strings they can pull, but only if they're forced to. But yes, by normal channels it'd be about two weeks.

15" CTOs have started to arrive. Mainly Superdrive models, but a few Combos here and there. iBook CTOs are taking a bit longer due to high demand for the Superdrive it seems.

aswitcher
May 15, 2004, 05:53 PM
If I were you aswitcher I'd be onto Apple and explaining your situation. No need to be angry about it, but just tell them how disappointed you are and that you have several friends looking at making the move to Mac too and they aren't too impressed. There are strings they can pull, but only if they're forced to. But yes, by normal channels it'd be about two weeks.

Well I am going to let me reseller deal with it because I am off for most of this coming week. If by Friday week I dont have a machine I will be making noises. And if its another dud...here's hoping it isn't.

MyLeftNut
May 16, 2004, 03:34 AM
Still havent heard about mine either...I hope theyre double checking their work so i dont have to send it back...hmmph. :mad:

Ive been pretty patient so far. At least two weeks wait. Should I be getting angry yet? :confused:

Ozi
May 16, 2004, 04:06 AM
well, nut, it depends on what model. If you ordered a stock-standard one, it should have got to you by now. If instead you ordered a BTO (CTO?) then you will have to wait longer. Mine is still on its way, as are many custom 15"s... mainly because the 15"s are the most popular pBook model.

So yeah, give it another week. :)

~ozi

locopano
May 16, 2004, 06:11 AM
My BTO 17" still hasnt arrived either and i doubt apple would have shipped mine and ASWITCHERS im different shipmentscos we ordered ours 4 days apart (i think).... I havent recieved any word...

Where did you get yours from ASWITCHER? Nextbyte?DJ's?CompNow?or apple.com.au??etcetc?

I hope it was nextbyte!! That possibly means mine might be on its way!.....<- if so...

I'm hate anticipating problems tho.. i almost feel like dead pixels are commonplace with all the comotion i hear over these forums. I havent ever experienced a dead pixel... or perhaps i wasnt looking..

ALSO this is IMPORTANT(to ME)
People that have 17" and that have added 3rd party RAM (even if your reseller did it) WHAT is the MANUFACTURER (or who is)...

I might get crucial ram (www.crucial.com) as they give lifetime warranties, but i dont want to end up with an "ASWITCHER" scenario..(sorry for example), so please let me know the braand names and serial number or part numbers etc... i want a 512MB single stick..

Also if someone can lead me in the direction of information on using an EXTERNAL HDD to boot up off that would be great... i just dont knwo too much about it... BUT apparently its magical in terms of difs in speeds of your PB.

thanks

:D

aswitcher
May 16, 2004, 07:21 AM
My BTO 17" still hasnt arrived either and i doubt apple would have shipped mine and ASWITCHERS im different shipmentscos we ordered ours 4 days apart (i think).... I havent recieved any word...

I ordered through my reseller on the Saturday of the Anzac day long weekend, which suggests to me it was processed the following and last Tuesday in April...

Where did you get yours from ASWITCHER? Nextbyte?DJ's?CompNow?or apple.com.au??etcetc?

Both NextByte and MacCentric did me good quotes because I was ordering a top of the line machine and wanted an iPod as well. Nextbytes was cheaper (good deals on ram and upgrades, free bag suggestion) but since I have some history with MacCentric and they are in the same suburb, I went with them. Apart from a small amount of confusion over my order I have found them good to do business with.

I hope it was nextbyte!! That possibly means mine might be on its way!.....<- if so...

I'm hate anticipating problems tho.. i almost feel like dead pixels are commonplace with all the comotion i hear over these forums. I havent ever experienced a dead pixel... or perhaps i wasnt looking..

Like I said my flaky machine got a stuck lime green pixel after about 3-4 hours of use so I am sorta glad its gone...

ALSO this is IMPORTANT(to ME)
People that have 17" and that have added 3rd party RAM (even if your reseller did it) WHAT is the MANUFACTURER (or who is)...

I might get crucial ram (www.crucial.com) as they give lifetime warranties, but i dont want to end up with an "ASWITCHER" scenario..(sorry for example), so please let me know the braand names and serial number or part numbers etc... i want a 512MB single stick..

:D

Well in the end it wasn;t the ram, it appears to have been a dodgy graphics card or related internal gremlin. Infact the ram replacement which suggested it was a ram problem required the removal of the battery which was later noted as resetting the screen problem on one occasiona afterwards. But in all its a bit of a mystery.

MyLeftNut
May 16, 2004, 07:38 AM
Er thanks Ozi, nice to know Im in the same boat as someone else...cheers

maesy
May 16, 2004, 08:24 AM
Hi all,
just wanted to add that i will be (if all goes well) picking up my new PB 17", 128 ATI, 5400rpm, on Wed 19th... just so happens that my birthday is also on the 19th :) ... can't wait!
downloading all the software now...
maya 6, adobe cs premium, fcp hd, dvd studio pro 2 (cant find 3 yet :confused: ), office 2004, shake 3.5, after effects pro 6.... lucky i have 12gb download limit!
anyway, i know this is pointless to all of you, so i'll stop.....

Ozi
May 16, 2004, 08:27 AM
no not boring at all. :)

oh and isnt Optus Cable great!!! :D

I have that, and a wireless 802.11b network set up in my house, and my ENTIRE family sits around, watching TV whilst surfing the net wirlessly. Im talking 4 laptops, me, dad, mum and my younger brother. I have to plug my surrent computer into the wall for ethernet, but with my new one, i will be cable free!!!! yippee!!! :D

Oh and they are all macs, by the way. ;)

aswitcher
May 16, 2004, 06:55 PM
Hi all,
just wanted to add that i will be (if all goes well) picking up my new PB 17", 128 ATI, 5400rpm, on Wed 19th... just so happens that my birthday is also on the 19th :) ... can't wait!
maya 6, adobe cs premium, fcp hd, dvd studio pro 2 (cant find 3 yet :confused: ), office 2004, shake 3.5, after effects pro 6.... lucky i have 12gb download limit!
anyway, i know this is pointless to all of you, so i'll stop.....

So who are you getting your machine through?

What download software are you using?

ftf
May 16, 2004, 07:15 PM
Hi all,
<snip>
maya 6, adobe cs premium, fcp hd, dvd studio pro 2 (cant find 3 yet :confused: ), office 2004, shake 3.5, after effects pro 6....

of course you mean you are downloading all the demo versions, RIGHT?
some free advice? you might not want to be telling the rest of the world this...

locopano
May 16, 2004, 10:34 PM
Hey, whats MAYA 6? what does it do.
What does shake do, i can see that its worth like $9000 or somethig.

Also whats after effects...
thanks.. just a brief description of what it does and intercompatibility would be nice..
thanks in advance

maesy
May 16, 2004, 11:21 PM
you're right "ftf".... :o probably should keep quiet about that.
what can i say... i like to share.... ;)

maya is a 3d animation package, after effects and shake are compositing packages.

maesy
May 16, 2004, 11:25 PM
So who are you getting your machine through?

What download software are you using?

im getting my PB through "aragorn computers"....

using Bit Torrent..... ;)

Ozi
May 16, 2004, 11:26 PM
regarding MAYA... it is one of the premier 3D animation and imaging programs. SOme great examles of stuff done with MAYA is here: http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/dbhome.shtml

Reuven
May 17, 2004, 03:15 AM
Got a question for you guys.

I got 1 stick of 512 in 1 slot and intend to do some game playing and some video editing and photo editing should I go for a piece of 512 or 1gig ?

Been quoted 795 for 1gig of ram but sure I can do a better deal.

What are your thoughts ?

aswitcher
May 17, 2004, 04:15 AM

I really want to get into BT when I get my mac. I have heard its a little fiddly to set up and use. Do you know any good sites for advice on using it under Panther?

oingoboingo
May 17, 2004, 04:36 AM

I got 1 stick of 512 in 1 slot and intend to do some game playing and some video editing and photo editing should I go for a piece of 512 or 1gig ?

What are your thoughts ?

This sounds like a cop-out, but there's only one way to see if you need that extra memory: use your notebook, and see if you run out of RAM. Use commands like 'top' at the command line, or some of the GUI system monitors available for OS X, and see if you start to hit a lot of swap-file usage while you're working (don't just go on a subjective opinion and impression...collect some real statistics on your system's memory usage. If you feel the system is slow, it may not be lack of RAM...there could be another bottleneck). 512MB isn't an insubstantial amount of memory...it may be enough for what you need already. No sense in buying extra RAM if you discover that 512MB is all you need.

If you do see that you need the extra RAM, I'd go for the 512MB stick. 1GB sticks are still priced at a high premium...you aren't getting value for money. If you find in the future that 1GB of RAM isn't enough, then at least 1GB sticks will have gotten cheaper by then.

coattaker
May 17, 2004, 05:23 AM
im getting my PB through "aragorn computers"....

Is it just me, or is everyone's favourite BitTorrent site down at the moment? I haven't been able to use it since March. Where are you getting your.... demo versions.... from?

aussie_geek
May 17, 2004, 05:37 AM

What are your thoughts ?

Hey reuven,

Get a 512 stick!!! You can get these for about 250 dollars!! 1 gig sticks are relatively new on the market and are just too expensive. 1 Gigabyte of ram (2x512) should be more than enough for editing video and photos. I would look into a firewire 800 drive so that you can set big scratch files on it, save your projects and access them very quickly.

I have 2 x 512's and the PB is only using 17% of memory.

aussie_geek

;)

locopano
May 17, 2004, 06:15 AM
you can get 512MB sticks for under $200AUD easily.. i think MACSHACK sells them for $190 or something and i prety sure they give a lifetime warranty.. eitherway i have been told they are good.. i'm also considering getting MINE from ther states from CRUCIAL.com

What are the BT sites that most people go through..

maesy
May 17, 2004, 09:35 AM
the best place is "torrentskickass.com"... it is down at the moment though.
there is a temp solution, i wont explain on here, but feel free to email me and i'll let you know. man, these demo's are cool! :)

locopano
May 17, 2004, 06:13 PM
I just found out that my POWERBOOK was in since last week, but nobody told the dude. I dont care tho cos i've got exams comming up and i dontneed the distraction, PLUS my reseller is a total Champ

So yes FINALLY a MELBOURNE 17" BTO has arrived. I'm Kicking myself now for not getting the SINGLE 1GB STICk from apple. COS through them even tho they are more pricey with the RAM, all the discounts make it end up costing an extra $300 for a SINGLE 1GB stick (its gonna cost me another $190 for a 512MB = 1024MB but 2 STICKS!

You reckon they can upgrade for me right there? COAT TAKER?? your the NEXTBYTE reseller and i bought from you guys is that possible??
Thanks
Oh and to everyone, APPLE has reduced their EDU prices so its about $100 less for my setup... whick kinda makes the 1GB upgrade only cost me $200 more!!! i'm kicking myself...