PDA

View Full Version : powerbook USB crashing/freezing

truffle
May 4, 2004, 10:24 AM
I need help with reproducing a crashing/freezing problem on my powerbook. The problem is related to USB.

I have a 1.25Ghz 15" powerbook with the following USB problems:

When I have a USB mouse plugged it it will periodically freeze (stop working). I can unplug and replug the mouse and it starts working again. Very rarely, it will crash. I've tried two mice, they both do it.

When I have a USB keyboard plugged in it will periodically freeze (like the mouse, unplugging and plugging will start it working again). Semi-frequently, it will crash. I've tried 4 keyboards, they all do it.

I've taken my notebook in for servicing, it's under warrenty, but they were unable to reproduce this. I can understand this, it happens enough to make it not useful for work (crashing is a serious issue while working), but not enough that I can reproduce it at will, and I don't expect them to test my notebook all day.

Does anyone have any tips for consistently reproducing this? Beyond the obvious of plug a mouse/keyboard in and generate input. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

pncc
May 4, 2004, 10:35 AM
More specifics please.

What OS? What USB peripherals? Up to date drivers?

Did you bring the offending USB peripherals to the service rep?

truffle
May 4, 2004, 10:46 AM
I'm running OS X 10.3.3, I've installed all my updates.

I did not bring any of the 6 USB peripherals I've reproduced this problem on in, I could but if I need to bring in a peripheral to reproduce the problem that would suggest the problem was with the peripheral, instead of with my notebook. The fact I've reproduced it on 4 keyboards and 2 mice suggests to me it's a notebook problem and not a peripheral problem.

I'm not running any heavy applications (safari, ssh, ichat, itunes is all I generally have open). When I don't have any USB peripherals plugged in my mac is solid as a rock.

pncc
May 4, 2004, 11:08 AM
The fact that you don't say if these are Apple periphs or what leaves me no way of helping you. have you tried a Apple mouse or keyboard? Have you been able to get ANY USB device to work? A printer? anything?

truffle
May 4, 2004, 11:37 AM
No these are not apple peripherals.

You ask if I have been able to get any USB devices to work. I have been able to get lots of USB devices to work. As I've stated, when I use a USB mouse or keyboard, they work, but periodically the mouse or keyboard will freeze or (more rarely) crash the system. I've used other USB devices as well, such as a USB pen drive.

The problem is not that USB devices are not working. The problem is that periodically USB mice/keyboards stop working, and need to be unplugged/replugged. The other problem is that rarely the system crashes when using these devices.

These problems started the day after my logic board was replaced due to an unrelated servicing. I was using these same peripherals before with no problems. I don't think it's a peripherals problem. It's almost certainly a logic board problem. The question is - how can I reproduce this in some consistent manner so I can demonstrate the problem and get servicing under my warrenty.

truffle
May 12, 2004, 01:00 PM
bump

Sun Baked
May 12, 2004, 01:25 PM
6 different things plugged in...

Powered or Unpowered USB Hub, because the OS will turn stuff off when it thinks the port power limit is reached -- doesn't help when some stuff misreports the current draw when you do a device check.

Applespider
May 12, 2004, 01:45 PM
I had the same problem with a USB mouse and a USB modem when I first got my PB 1.25 but not with a USB camera link or USB dongle.

Since it was new, I took it back to the store I bought it in, explained the problem, they couldn't help so they just replaced it since it was within 28 days of buying (this wasn't an Apple store tho)

As far as proving it's a problem, take both the mice/keyboards that cause the problem with you and invite them to try their own to show them?