Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveecee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
FL
I don't know if anybody else is seeing this with their laptop, but when I use my Apple LED display and close my laptop to use only the display, my wireless reception drops 2-3 bars. However, within seconds of opening my laptop back on (regardless of detecting the laptop's display or not) my wireless reception goes back to full. Does removing that extra layer from any kind of wireless receiver really make that much of a difference?

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
I work in tech support and I can safely say that the bars are reletively incorrect on most devices. What you should do is that you should test the speed using one of the many online speedtest sites and see if there is an actual problem, such as instability or loss of speed.

If you don't have any speed issues I wouldn't worry too much about what the "bars" indicate. :)

If it's really an issue that you think shouldn't be there despite having no speed issues you could just plug in a more powerful wifi reciever into one of the usb's

Daveecee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
FL
Well actually the bars were relatively accurate as far as the speed was concerned. While closed, my macbook was experiencing frequent disconnects and unable to reconnect to services such as AIM, and web pages were very slow. Once I opened it, it started getting better and now it's working alright.

Granted, I'm not sure the router I'm using is that great to begin with (it's a belkin 54g and not mine at that) and the connection I'm using is a lousy 768 Kbps cable connection. Thank god I'm only going to be at this place over the summer

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
yes it could just as well be the router, but you should test it out in a few different places to see if the same problem occours.

Personally I own a Cisco Aironet 1131AG accesspoint which is fairly pricey but kick lowend routers back to the 1800th. This baby runs perfectly with any wifi device i own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.