PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen iPod. This a write off?

mikejones144
May 22, 2009, 02:47 PM
Just joined here, because of this and because I'll be getting an iPhone pretty soon I think.

So, my iPod recently started playing up whilst syncing. It seemed to have worked fine, so I ejected it and disconnected it. Then it froze as the bar was halfway loaded on the "ok to disconnect" screen on the iPod. I did a soft reset and after waiting aaaages it loaded. Only the menu read "usic" "ideo" seemingly only showing a few letters for each menu item.

I plugged it back in, hoping to restore, did so, everything was fine.

Then I synced and got error 48.

I used the windows "check disk" function which hangs at the start, left my laptop on for 2 hours and it had no progress.

Is the iPod dead? Or is it salvageable?

stridemat
May 22, 2009, 02:49 PM
Have you looked here and followed the instructions

http://www.chromewalker.com/cw_six/?p=148

mikejones144
May 22, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I explained in my post I used check disk - Tony's solution, for PC's.

stridemat
May 22, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ok, just wanted to make sure that you tried the method that worked for me.
Did you make sure it was in target disk mode? (I just want to make sure, as I didn't the first time)

Are you using the latest version of itunes?

mikejones144
May 22, 2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah it is, although when in iTunes (latest version) I can't uncheck it. It's kinda greyed out. Hard drive also makes a clicking noise, louder than usual, when on. Take it that's not a good sign lol.

stridemat
May 22, 2009, 03:06 PM
Nope not a good sign, how long ago did you purchase it? I have been reading some other forums and eveyone just eventually gave up and took it back and got it replaced. I will keep looking....

stridemat
May 22, 2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.wired.com/cult_of_mac/2007/02/fix_ipod_error_/

just found this, not sure if it would work though:rolleyes:

mikejones144
May 22, 2009, 03:08 PM
April 2008 I think. Just gone a year :(, meaning warranty is out I think.

Not as bothered as I would be that it's broke. Just means I won't have an mp3 player for a few months until iPhone 4g is released. Ah well.

stridemat
May 22, 2009, 03:11 PM
http://en.onsoftware.com/how-to-fix-itunes-library-file-error-48/

If that doesn't work than Im out of ideas. Sorry.:(

mikejones144
May 22, 2009, 03:40 PM
Ooh, it's doing something different now that I did taht. iTunes crashes and mediamonkey says it's synced fine but the files don't show up. I'll have a play around with stuff. Thanks a lot!

mikejones144
May 22, 2009, 03:48 PM
Works fine! Itunes doesn't crash, songs sync on. Think I'll just put my library on it and charge using my xbox to stop it breaking again.

Thank you you beatiful man!

stridemat
May 22, 2009, 03:49 PM
which method worked? Just out of interest.

appleguy123
May 22, 2009, 09:12 PM
April 2008 I think. Just gone a year :(, meaning warranty is out I think.

Not as bothered as I would be that it's broke. Just means I won't have an mp3 player for a few months until iPhone 4g is released. Ah well.

mine was out about 2 months and they replace it but that was in 08

Ommid
May 23, 2009, 05:39 PM
What iPod is it?

mikejones144
May 24, 2009, 04:39 AM
The setting time one. Pretty strange. I have to restore whenever I put songs on it, and it occasionally freezes when putting them on, but it does sync them fine.