Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
SC
So I got tired of toting my 25ft ethernet cable out to the porch everytime I wanted to browse the web while sitting out there. I bought a dlink 4 port/wireless(b) router and a dlink USB receiver for my iBook. I hooked up the router to my existing Linksys router and hooked up my Sawtooth to the dlink via ethernet cable. That works wonderfully - no problems at all. I didn't even have to use the included software to get it to work. It took a little more time to get the wireless part to work with my iBook, but I finally got it working too. But I am still having some glitches that I think may be tied to the USB port, but I wanted to check with you guys to be sure.

Whenever I try to do some heavy downloading, the receiver in the USB port seems to freeze. Meaning, I can no longer do anything that is tied to the internet - no browsing, no iTunes, no e-mail. I can open each of these applications, they just can't connect with any server. When I check the status, it says everything is fine. I can restart the laptop and I will be able to use everything again. I also learned last night that I can pull the receiver out of the USB port and plug it back in and then I am up and running again. Is this just a weakness with using a USB receiver? I can deal with that, I just want to be sure that it is not a router problem. If it were a problem with the router, wouldn't I also be having problems with the ethernet ports as well? The hardwired portion works fine though. Anybody have this same problem or some ideas that I can try to keep from locking up? Any help is greatly appreciated.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
i got a friend who was using a netgear router and a d-link usb adapter and the d-link adapter caused kernal panics every 3-5 minutes when doing anything on the internet. is your usb 'receiver' a 'wireless network adapter' apparently people have problems with the d-link dwl-122 and dwl-120 wireless adapters with macs and pcs, in windoze xp i read it causes memory huge dumps.

my point is that your router is probably fine. which reciever are you using?

applebum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Yes - mine is a wireless network adapter - the dwl-122 to be exact. Glad to know I am not the only one having problems. So then could I get a different wireless adapter/receiver to plug into my iBook and still use the dlink router? Any recommendations as to a good receiver to plug into my laptop?

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
if i were you id try and take back the d-link dwl-122 and get an airport extreme card, you shouldnt get any problems with it like the d-link receiver because its made by apple and incorporates into your os properly. hell i dont think that the d-link think does it through network preferences! it makes its own thing in system preferences. there are other usb wireless receivers out there, but just search the forums and you'll see some of the problems that people have had. it might seem expensive, its probably double what you paid for the d-link 122 but it will work with minimum fuss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.