Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tintincute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
hi

I have an iPodtouch and before I got my Mac I sync my addresses to my Outlook, which I created another folder in my Contacts only for my iPodtouch Contacts.

Now I have my Mac and I would like to sync my address book from my iPodtouch to the address book in my Macbook. I don't know what I did wrong, as I sync from iTunes (iPodtouch) to my Mac, my addresses were all gone.

Thanks to Outlook that I was able to make a copy. So what I did, I sync the addresses from Outlook to my iPodtouch. And it work but then it created another iPodtouch contacts, the other one is where the addresses now and the other group also name as iPodtouch is empty. I would like to delete the other group. How can I do that? Do you have any idea ?

Thanks I'll appreciate your help

Regards

tintincute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
yes I was using iTunes when it got erased.

Can I delete the other empty group?

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Not quite sure what you mean??? What other group on what?

I had this same issue but I did it a second time and it took my numbers. I guess it saw them as new numbers since the last sync so it took them.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
i think what happened was that he/she had the devices synced with a windows computer using outlook. when they synced it with the new mac machine, it will erase everything on the device and not copy over any contacts.

what i think you should do is restore the device, and simply copy your address from outlook by exporting the contacts in some sort of file (such as vcard type) and import them into Address Book on mac.

address book on mac is linked with itunes and will therefore link it with your device

tintincute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
my fault if I was not clear. By the way, I attached a screenshot to see what I mean.
In my contacts in my iPodtouch, if I click it, I'll see "Groups" and under Groups I see "All Contacts", Ipod touch (where my addresses are), and "Ipodtouch" which is empty. And I would like to delete the empty "Ipodtouch", I don't know how to do it.

Attachments

• ipod.gif
    ipod.gif
    427.6 KB · Views: 67

tintincute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
@bigmanathome24: Yes I did my iPodtouch Contacts with my Outlook (win xp) first as a back-up for all my contacts.
I just got my Macbook and I sync my iPodtouch Contacts with the address book in Mac. I used the iTunes in syncing. After I synced, I wanted to edit some contacts in the address book in Mac, I edited one contact and it was automatically gone in the address book. But when I searched it, that contact name is on the list but I can't see it under the address book. So what I did, I deleted the whole contacts again from the address book so that I could re-sync the contacts from my iPodtouch to Mac address book. After that, I saw that my contacts from my iPodtouch is empty :-(

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Check your contacts on your outlook and see if you see your group you want to delete. If not the best thing to do is export contacts to vcards to transfer them to the mac like he said. It's not hard and probably the better way. Then I would sync it to your Mac. It will be much easier to sync it and edit things on it from your Mac. I didn't do it this way but it's more of a hassle if you don't.

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
@bigmanathome24: Yes I did my iPodtouch Contacts with my Outlook (win xp) first as a back-up for all my contacts.
I just got my Macbook and I sync my iPodtouch Contacts with the address book in Mac. I used the iTunes in syncing. After I synced, I wanted to edit some contacts in the address book in Mac, I edited one contact and it was automatically gone in the address book. But when I searched it, that contact name is on the list but I can't see it under the address book. So what I did, I deleted the whole contacts again from the address book so that I could re-sync the contacts from my iPodtouch to Mac address book. After that, I saw that my contacts from my iPodtouch is empty :-(

If you delete any contacts or add any contacts on your computer or ipod/iPhone ect. the next time you sync it will update both to the most current changes. No matter which you did it on.

tintincute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
No its not in Outlook. The one I have in outlook is "Ipod Touch" and I also have it in my iPodtouch. But the other "Ipodtouch" group is empty and I would like to delete that.

How can I do that?

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
No its not in Outlook. The one I have in outlook is "Ipod Touch" and I also have it in my iPodtouch. But the other "Ipodtouch" group is empty and I would like to delete that.

How can I do that?

Sync it to your mac and do it through address book . It should work okay that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.