PDA

View Full Version : Can't snyc new ipod on laptop...help!

FloridaMac
May 22, 2009, 09:21 PM
Every time I hook up my ipod nano gen. 4 with my ibook G4 it says my ipod is synced with another iTunes library and that an iPod can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. I have two other ipods and I don't have this problem when I connect those with the laptop. Can anyone help here? Thanks.

One other issue I'm having with my new ipod is when I synced my music library with it from my iMac it "grayed out" all the music that was put on the ipod. I've seen it do this before, but I can't remember how I fixed it.

JediMeister
May 22, 2009, 11:02 PM
That message will appear if you have set the iPod to sync files rather than manually manage. It also explains why the files are grayed out when viewed in iTunes. Sync essentially means that when you add songs to your library or to a certain playlist, or even modify the ID3 tags of a track, the changes will automatically transfer to the iPod when its connected. Manually manage however, means that you can move music to the iPod from more than one computer system, but you will have to manually drag the songs/albums to the iPod in the iTunes source bar to add songs, or delete them manually in iTunes to remove from the iPod hard drive, and changes to the library will not migrate over when the iPod is connected. To toggle between syncing music and manually managing, in the Summary tab visible when the iPod is connected, there is a checkmark. If currently set to sync, and then toggled to manually manage, all the songs remain on the iPod, and can be added/removed manually. If manually managed, and then changed to sync, it WILL clear the content off the iPod and replace it with your selected items in the iTunes application. Hope this is clear, if not I'll be happy to clarify.