Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
What I'm looking for is an application that allows me to check the balance on my checking account from my bank. My bank is a major local branch in the state I live in, but it does not have an app for itself nor does it have a mobile site. I had Quicken, but I hated it because it did not show my updated balance. On the bottom, it always said that it was a day or two behind and sometimes it didn't have the same information as my bank's website did. Secondly, Quicken adds stuff that I don't want (such as predicting a future paycheck). All I want is an app that will show me the same information that my bank's website shows me, is up-to-date as my bank's website, and does not add-in anything else to help me budget my money.

Any suggestions??

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Try money.Strands, or Mint.com. Both app sync to your bank, and let you tag and categorise transactions across multiple accounts. I haven't tried mint as I'm in the UK and they don't support non-US banks yet. But I use money.Strands and can recommend it. Both the website and iPhone app are very useful and feature rich, and free!

dougdawson

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Austin, TX
What I'm looking for is an application that allows me to check the balance on my checking account from my bank. My bank is a major local branch in the state I live in, but it does not have an app for itself nor does it have a mobile site. I had Quicken, but I hated it because it did not show my updated balance. On the bottom, it always said that it was a day or two behind and sometimes it didn't have the same information as my bank's website did. Secondly, Quicken adds stuff that I don't want (such as predicting a future paycheck). All I want is an app that will show me the same information that my bank's website shows me, is up-to-date as my bank's website, and does not add-in anything else to help me budget my money.

Any suggestions??

The best way to check the balance on your bank checking account is via your bank's secure web site. Not all banks have a dedicated iPhone app to do this, of course, so in many cases you have to log on to their site directly thru Safari. And even if you do _that_, there's not a chance in hades that the balance will be up to date, because of the nature of how checks are processed. Been there, tried to do that, got disillusioned. Approaching your bank account like this is IMO a write-off.

You're better off taking charge of what transactions are active on the account. This is more work, but you'll know what's happening. With all due modesty, we wrote an app to do this (RunningTotal) that works really well. It does NOTHING WHATSOEVER to interact with any financial institution thru a third party server or otherwise, so that you can indirectly snooker the bejasus out of anyone else trying to store/manipulate your financial data. Hmmm.

In the old days, we used to just write stuff down. Now we're portably electrified.

Best regards, and let us now hide from the establishment,

Doug

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Try money.Strands, or Mint.com. Both app sync to your bank, and let you tag and categorise transactions across multiple accounts. I haven't tried mint as I'm in the UK and they don't support non-US banks yet. But I use money.Strands and can recommend it. Both the website and iPhone app are very useful and feature rich, and free!
Tried moneyStrands. I didn't like it. I looked up my bank and it listed the wrong website. I tried to look up other banks and it also listed incorrect websites for their respective banks. I deleted it immediately.

dougdawson

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Austin, TX
Tried moneyStrands. I didn't like it. I looked up my bank and it listed the wrong website. I tried to look up other banks and it also listed incorrect websites for their respective banks. I deleted it immediately.

We're not allowed to comment on the existence of the macrumors Code Sharing forum here, so I can neither confirm nor deny that you should check it out.

Seek, and ye shall find.

Doug

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I really like Cha-ching, but it doesn't connect with your banks website, you enter in the information yourself. It's really helpful and organized though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.