PDA

View Full Version : Christian Party Swastika? (Billboard advert, UK)

xUKHCx
May 23, 2009, 05:34 AM
Recently around me there have been a lot of Christian Party political adverts on billboards.

The first advert I saw was this by the side of the M1:

However the other adverts have a tag line on the bottom

Put your x by the (Image of Christian Cross) and not by 卐 (Image of Swastika) next to an image of the BNP logo with a no entry / cross sign over the top of it.

(Sorry can't find any images of it online)

To be honest I though it was a out of line and today when driving past I noticed that the Swastika has been covered with a white patch on all the adverts in my area.

I couldn't find anything in the news or on the advertising standards agency website.

Does anyone know if they were forced to remove 卐 or if this is a local group who have covered it up on the adverts?

obeygiant
May 23, 2009, 08:57 AM
Does anyone know if they were forced to remove 卐 or if this is a local group who have covered it up on the adverts?

Is there a hidden "卐" somewhere that I'm not seeing?

skunk
May 23, 2009, 09:13 AM
Is there a hidden "卐" somewhere that I'm not seeing?If you read the post, he says "the other adverts have a tag" containing the swastika.

yojitani
May 23, 2009, 09:27 AM
Why would it be out of line to associate a swastika with the BNP?

KingYaba
May 23, 2009, 02:02 PM
I would put my money on vandals.

Gelfin
May 23, 2009, 02:44 PM

I hadn't realized they were politically active again, but before the Christian Party and the BNP, probably so would I.

northy124
May 23, 2009, 03:11 PM
Wait Britain is Christian? when did that happen? I am sure we have some Islam and Judaism in the country :)

Tbh all the adverts I have seen from minority parties are rubbish so this advert doesn't surprise me in the slightest, being the Christian party is even less surprising lol

r.j.s
May 23, 2009, 03:14 PM
Might it have been the Buddhist version?

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/swastika.htm

barkmonster
May 23, 2009, 03:36 PM

I've read the flyer for the BNP in my local area. It stears clear of rascism entirely and focuses on other issues that anyone could relate without a shred of bigotry.

It's the fact they're known for still only allowing white members of their party that it breaks down.

Aligning Neo-nazi's with the BNP is simply a side effect from the fact people like that are more likely to be nationalistic as well as having skewed views of humanity. They're bound to vote for a political party close to their ideals and seeing as the "kick all the foreigners out" party doesn't exist, they vote BNP.

I think I'm voting UKIP myself.

Abstract
May 23, 2009, 03:37 PM
What did the swastika look like? If it's tilted on a bit of an angle, like an 'X', then it's the Nazi symbol. If it's shaped more like a '+" symbol, it's just a religious symbol that I've seen dozens of times.

However, I think the intended usage of the symbol was probably negative, and they were ordered to cover it up.

xUKHCx
May 23, 2009, 03:47 PM

I didn't say that.

It was exactly like that symbol I posted above (卐) which considering the placement of the adverts (predominately minority area) and the religious meanings behind the symbol I found the underlying tones of the statement to be wrong. Then their linking of that to the BNP to be further wrong and over the line.

I don't think it is vandals as it is a clean white patch that is very similar on all the billboards in the area.

I was wondering if anyone knew the background to it being covered up and/or any reports on the matter. I was also wondering if it happened on a wider scale, I know there are further billboards around London.

I'll try and get a picture of one of the adverts tomorrow when it is lighter.

Markleshark
May 23, 2009, 03:53 PM
The large BNP billboards have starting appearing in our area. Didn't take long for 'Nazi Scum' to be painted all over them. Was quite shocking actually, usually a fairly sleepy City in regards to political hatred.

skunk
May 23, 2009, 03:56 PM
I would put my money on vandals.I'd go with the Visigoths myself.

obeygiant
May 23, 2009, 09:44 PM
If you read the post, he says "the other adverts have a tag" containing the swastika.

Exactly! When can we see them?

KingYaba
May 23, 2009, 09:49 PM
I'd go with the Visigoths myself.

Maybe I should have said the Normans.

yojitani
May 23, 2009, 10:06 PM
It was exactly like that symbol I posted above (卐) which considering the placement of the adverts (predominately minority area) and the religious meanings behind the symbol I found the underlying tones of the statement to be wrong. Then their linking of that to the BNP to be further wrong and over the line.

OK. I understand. In your original post, I understood "To be honest I though it was a out of line" to mean that the association with the swastika (whether or not they got the angle right) was out of line. It is a curious obfuscation of nationalisms. I am looking forward to your pictures. As I am rarely in the UK these days, I doubt I'll have a chance to see them in person.

@ Barkmonster: the BNP is to Neo-Nazis as Sinn Fein is to the IRA. Their rhetoric is clearly not as extreme because they have to weasel into an accepted mainstream.

Gelfin
May 24, 2009, 10:47 AM
Maybe I should have said the Normans.

That's sort of the precise anti-BNP platform, no? "If elected, we promise more foreign leaders who do not speak your language and force your culture to be more like theirs! Vote Norman!"

xUKHCx
May 24, 2009, 01:47 PM
I got around to taking the pictures.

I've edited the last image to show how the original advert was before the white patch was put on. The swastika was actually white.

There are a whole series of this billboards, mainly just with different colour backgrounds saying and claiming a different political party can't do it and all of them have had the white patch put on.

I still haven't found anything in the general press about this.

The Christian Party websites (http://www.votechristian.info/ and http://www.christianparty.org.uk/) have gone offline

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

skunk
May 24, 2009, 03:30 PM
The fact that the "Christian People's Alliance" is trying to gather votes from the "White People's Alliance" is quite amusing.

dogtanian
May 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
It's hilarious watching all the small far right/left parties desperately trying to clean up the disillusioned labour voters after the expenses 'revelations'.

I've had numerous BNP, UKIP and the like leaflets litter my postbox. I am shocked at the usual "Grass is greener" response from friends thinking that voting elsewhere is going to somehow solve all the UK's problems magically.

I can only say that my vote won't be going towards a party that mixes religion and politics. In many thousand years of politics, it hasn't worked particularly successfully.

I also agree with northy124, does majority rule in terms of religious following of a country? I for one cannot wait for the next census to see the dramatically reduced numbers of organised religion followers.

WinterMute
May 25, 2009, 09:27 AM
The fact that the "Christian People's Alliance" is trying to gather votes from the "White People's Alliance" is quite amusing.

SPLITTERS!!!

Bag of otter's noses please...

The BNP's late charm offensive based on an invitation to tea on the lawn at the palace is one of the more disturbing things I've seen in the last few weeks.

The BNP would have you believe they are a credible political party, yet their grass roots membership still enjoys a bout of Zeig Hiel'ing behind closed doors, and the opportunity to give a black man a good kicking (I live near Eltham, for those of you who don't know the reference, Google Stephen Lawrence).

I view the Christian right with the same frank suspicion that I view the BNP, a bigot is a bigot regardless of the shape of the cross they salute.

This latest batch of political scandals has opened the door for any independent nutter to believe they could gain a seat, the General Election is going to be colourful.

xUKHCx
May 30, 2009, 08:34 AM
I had emailed the Christian Party before posting this thread and I got a response

-removed-

The BNP wanted to take legal action against us for using their logo on our
posters without permission. It was an opportunity to add information about
honesty and integrity in politics instead.

Blessings

-removed-
Christian Party

Not really an answer seeing as they covered up the swastika rather than the BNP logo.

They have since replaced all the billboards with an updated version without the BNP logo or swastika.