PDA

View Full Version : Adobe CS4 Production Premium Vs. Final Cut EXPRESS

dansmith3003
May 23, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hi, I'm a graphic designer who's branching out into video production and am just wondering what would be the better option: Adobe CS4 Production Premium (with encore and premiere pro) or Final Cut Express. Does anybody have any experience with Encore and Premiere Pro Vs. Final Cut Express. As a student Production Premium box set is only 140 more expensive than Final Cut Express but yet you seem to get much more. Im guessing as the student version of Final Cut is only slightly cheaper than the entire Production box set of CS4 that it is better to get Final Cut Express as it must be a better piece of software and just use iDVD instead of getting the CS4 box set with Encore in it.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

arjen92
May 23, 2009, 03:11 PM
I use final cut pro. I once asked a person who studies journalisme (so he's not the right person but still) and uses avid, and he told me that all editing programs are in fact the same (they all cut, don't they:p), the buttons are just on other places. Ofcourse that's not entirely true, there are differences.

I must say, although I haven't used it, that encore gives a lot of freedom, more than DVD Studio Pro.

I assume you use Adobe in your designing, so you'll probably learn Premiere Pro faster. And it will fit better (I'm not saying final cut express wouldn't) in your workflow.

But for the real differences check this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=699253

It's a fact that most people use Final Cut Studio as its cheaper and more abilities in one package(colouring in color, 3d in motion and such).

But ofcourse it depends on what you want. Do you want to sell your stuff. Then iDVD isn't your best choice (as it's not that original).

Good luck choosing.

djkirsten
May 24, 2009, 01:25 AM
This is a matter of an entire production suite vs. a slimmed down video editing program. It's like comparing a motorcycle to an airplane.

With the production premium you are getting professional video editing, compositing, painting, encoding, and DVD authoring software....but with final cut express you are getting just a pro-sumer video editor.

I'm all for final cut pro and apple's products...but in this scenario the production premium is a very complete toolset.

If this were a final cut studio vs production premium debate, things might be different...

DoNoHarm
May 24, 2009, 01:26 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=699253

BipolarNick
May 25, 2009, 11:54 PM
I have used FCE for over a year now. I would prefer it over Premiere any day. I do like AE a lot and I use both when I edit.

DaReal_Dionysus
May 26, 2009, 11:16 AM
"Premiere is garbage"

tri3limited
May 26, 2009, 11:54 AM
Premiere is more like Final Cut Pro than express and the Production Premium suite comes with a load of extra applications like After Effects.

chrismacguy
May 26, 2009, 12:03 PM
Definitely Production Premium or Final Cut Pro/Studio. If you use any form of advanced editing, or want to create DVDs professionally etc, use a Pro package, not a prosumer one. Just my 2 cents. Especially since there is no DVD Studio Express (wish apple would, then I wouldn't have to dream about being able to afford the pro package...)

amukidi
May 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
so - are you saying you can get CS4 production premium for 260? If this is the case, its almost worth putting up with Premiere for that!!!
I love FCE, and it is a lot more capable than you might imagine, especially if you are new to this malarky. iDVD has issues - and there's a crisp tenner here for anyone who can tell me how to get 16:9 DVDs out of it (I've tried ALL the online help there is - it still won't do it). So, the bottom line is that there is no real one-box solution. But if you can put up with Prem's clunky interface and long-winded workings, 260 is a steal.