PDA

View Full Version : Had too much to drink last night - throwing up bile this morning.

cleanup
May 23, 2009, 12:09 PM
Feel pretty awful. Should I eat? Drink? Go to the hospital? I feel better after throwing it up but I'm just afraid it'll happen again. I'm drinking lots of water.

Don't want to bug any of my friends at the moment as I'm sure they're all trying to recover as well, though not as bad as me I'm sure.

r.j.s
May 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
Drink water, but not too much ... get some pedialyte as well to replenish your electrolytes.

jmann
May 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
What an appropriate user name for this thread. ;) Most people get hangovers and such because they didn't drink enough water and are dehydrated. So I would try sipping water. But I don't drink much, so I'm not most experienced. :)

dukebound85
May 23, 2009, 12:12 PM
op, i know the feeling and it suuuuuuuucks lol

you need like a day to recover

dmr727
May 23, 2009, 12:12 PM
Vitamin water helps me. That and greasy pizza. The greasier the better.

cleanup
May 23, 2009, 12:14 PM
op, i know the feeling and it suuuuuuuucks lol

you need like a day to recover

I normally wake up in the morning and I'm fine, but this night was a bit different. :(

I'm supposed to go to the Keane concert tonight... my friend's gonna hate me for bailing.

I can't really go out and get anything. No Gatorade, Pedialyte, Powerade, etc. Should I just eat and drink? Juice? Milk? Eggs? Lots of protein?

Abstract
May 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
Vitamin water helps me. That and greasy pizza. The greasier the better.

Seriously, that does help. When I was an undergrad student at uni, my friends always went for all-day breakfasts after a big night out. The place was just across the street from this particular house that always had house parties with over 100+ people. Funny thing is that they close at around 2 or 3 AM, and we went there for fries when we were drunk as well. So we depended on them for both the food we need during a party, and the next morning. :o

I would drink a bit of water, perhaps juice, and take a multi-vitamin.

PlaceofDis
May 23, 2009, 12:34 PM
some water, slowly at first. multi-vitamin to help replenish your body. some food, particularly greasy - the more the better, at least for me.

poopyhead
May 23, 2009, 12:34 PM
watermelon usually helps me

war eagle
May 23, 2009, 12:37 PM
I normally wake up in the morning and I'm fine, but this night was a bit different. :(

I'm supposed to go to the Keane concert tonight... my friend's gonna hate me for bailing.

I can't really go out and get anything. No Gatorade, Pedialyte, Powerade, etc. Should I just eat and drink? Juice? Milk? Eggs? Lots of protein?

Ehh you won't miss the concert. By the time it rolls around you'll be fine.

xboxer75010
May 23, 2009, 12:38 PM
watermelon usually helps me

With a glass of milk :D

Keebler
May 23, 2009, 12:50 PM
it's the weekend...keep it going.

have another drink :)

seriously, get some gatorade into you and the BRAT diet:

B ananas
R ice
A pples
T oast.

cheers,
keebler

cleanup
May 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'm a bit more settled. I called Telehealth Ontario and the nurse strongly recommended against multivitamins and greasy food, and instead just suggested staying consistently hydrated (a tablespoon or so of clear liquid every five minutes) for a few hours, and then get some bland foods in me (crackers, cereal, bread, etc.). I'm going to clean myself up and go get some Gatorade and just take it easy, maybe do some reading, then grab some food and hopefully I'll be settled enough for the concert.

Cheers, guys.

Abstract
May 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
You sought real help? :eek:

Well of course they're going to tell you to stay away from greasy foods. They're a completely biased organisation. :p

dukebound85
May 23, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm a bit more settled. I called Telehealth Ontario and the nurse strongly recommended against multivitamins and greasy food, and instead just suggested staying consistently hydrated (a tablespoon or so of clear liquid every five minutes) for a few hours, and then get some bland foods in me (crackers, cereal, bread, etc.). I'm going to clean myself up and go get some Gatorade and just take it easy, maybe do some reading, then grab some food and hopefully I'll be settled enough for the concert.

Cheers, guys.

the part i bolded made me laugh lol

a tablespoon of clear liquid lolololool

LouisBlack
May 23, 2009, 02:24 PM
Look on the bright side... At least you don't have to go and see Keane ;-)

DiamondMac
May 23, 2009, 02:38 PM
Water, Food, and time....you will be fine.

Unless you are throwing up blood, you will cope just fine

LeahM
May 23, 2009, 02:40 PM
Mashed potatoes work for me.. But then again, I don't really drink that much to get sick..

Dros
May 23, 2009, 03:14 PM
What an appropriate user name for this thread. ;) Most people get hangovers and such because they didn't drink enough water and are dehydrated. So I would try sipping water. But I don't drink much, so I'm not most experienced. :)

Take it from a more experienced water drinker-- sipping water is just fine.

Markleshark
May 23, 2009, 03:40 PM
Good night? Haha.

Plenty of water and sleep. ;)

Eidorian
May 23, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hydration is the key.

I know a few people that only drink but never add some water into the mix.

rhsgolfer33
May 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
the part i bolded made me laugh lol

a tablespoon of clear liquid lolololool

Patron is a clear liquid, that is probably what she wanted him to drink.

Frisco
May 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
Are you Oriental? Orientals can't hold their liquor.

PS: Please none of those "you are a racist" comments. This is a biological fact.

Keebler
May 23, 2009, 06:13 PM

PS: Please none of those "you are a racist" comments. This is a biological fact.

i'm not oriental, but i would love to see some data on this one. quite curious.

Chundles
May 23, 2009, 06:13 PM
Vegemite on buttery toast, plenty of water and powerade. Paracetemol for the pain.

Follow this with a big greasy fry-up that does nothing other than make you feel better for a while but hey, it's still good.

andreab35
May 23, 2009, 09:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A300g Safari/525.20)

Honestly, water and plenty of rest is your best bet. Theonly way your body will feel better is through time. Let your liver do the work. ;)
Hope you feel better too!

cleanup
May 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks for all your responses, guys. It's not that I haven't dealt with bad day-afters before. I just haven't thrown up bile all of a sudden a few hours after waking up. That's what worried me. I've never thrown up bile before. It was horribly acidic, it hurt, and I accidentally inhaled a bit of it while I was wretching which made me stop breathing for a good 30 seconds. But I stopped, called Telehealth, and was told not to do anything differently, just take it easy and hydrate. So I did, eventually had some food, took a nap, then left for the concert.

Just got back. I'm exhausted. What a weekend.

I am Chinese, but I don't lack acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, which is what makes some Asians (note: some) sensitive to alcohol (build-up of acetaldehyde is what causes the harder hangover in those folk). You can recognize them by the "Asian glow" they get when they drink. Thankfully I don't glow; I can hold my liquor well.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I think it's time for a nice long sleep. Cheers.

kellen
May 24, 2009, 12:57 AM
When I have overdone it, I try to drink as much water/gatorade the night before, with some aspirin. Then put a large glass next to the bed. If I wakeup during the night, I drink the water.

Works most of the time, but if it doesn't the only thing that can help is time. Or another drink.

This is why there are bloody marys.

d wade
May 25, 2009, 02:03 PM
weed always helps a hangover

Demosthenes X
May 25, 2009, 02:28 PM
Look on the bright side... At least you don't have to go and see Keane ;-)

LOLOL. That's exactly what I thought, too.

That Vitamin water really does help. Nothing kills a hangover better than that stuff in my experience.

seb-opp
May 25, 2009, 02:28 PM
the best thing after a heavy night is any all you can eat buffet. Get a jug of water for yourself too.

If your such a write off you cant face going outside, nothing beats watching movies all day

Eanair
May 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
i'm not oriental, but i would love to see some data on this one. quite curious.

Certain Asians have lower rates of alcohol use and alcoholism, findings associated with a mutation in the aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) gene. Asians with ALDH2*2 alleles drink less and are less likely to be alcoholic than Asians without this mutation. Following alcohol ingestion, they exhibit more intense reactions to alcohol and generate higher levels of the metabolite acetaldehyde. This study evaluated hangover symptoms in Asian Americans with variations in the ALDH2 gene.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10627091

Some researchers believe that up to 50% of Asians have such a mutation.

michael.lauden
May 25, 2009, 02:51 PM
LOLOL. That's exactly what I thought, too.

That Vitamin water really does help. Nothing kills a hangover better than that stuff in my experience.

nothing cures a hangover like not getting drunk in my experience. do drugs

sn00pie
May 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
Feel pretty awful. Should I eat? Drink? Go to the hospital? I feel better after throwing it up but I'm just afraid it'll happen again. I'm drinking lots of water.

Don't want to bug any of my friends at the moment as I'm sure they're all trying to recover as well, though not as bad as me I'm sure.

I was in the same situation a few days ago, except I had diarrhea and symptoms of the stomach flu.

My suggestion is continue to puke, but make sure you replenish yourself with fluids. Gatorade is the best drink to take when dealing with any hangover type symptoms. Other than that time is the only thing that helps.

Edit: Good to see its ok! :)

n-abounds
May 25, 2009, 03:22 PM
trust me on this one: cucumbers.

they are filled with water and vitamins, are super refreshing, aren't too sweet (like watermelon), but still have a good taste to them (i dunno- i hate drinking plain water after a hangover).

Keebler
May 25, 2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10627091

Some researchers believe that up to 50% of Asians have such a mutation.

wow. thanks for the link!

macDonalds
May 25, 2009, 04:52 PM
Did anyone else think it was weird that one of his activities to pass the time was reading? Yikes!

Eanair
May 25, 2009, 04:53 PM
wow. thanks for the link!

No prob. :)

My doctor told me about it when I mentioned to him that I seem to get immensely drunk after a single drink.

geekgirl
May 27, 2009, 09:22 AM
Baked potato with butter and salt! Eat right when you get home, and it should stop the hangover. I don't get hungover, but my sister used to swear by this, way back when. :D

question fear
May 27, 2009, 09:37 AM
Did anyone else think it was weird that one of his activities to pass the time was reading? Yikes!

Not weird at all. Laying down, going at your own pace, able to nap if needed...reading is the best comfort activity ever!