Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
You're going to have to be more specific than that. Have you disabled any antivirus software? Are you installing the service pack through Windows Update or did you download the standalone update from Microsoft?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You're going to have to be more specific than that. Have you disabled any antivirus software? Are you installing the service pack through Windows Update or did you download the standalone update from Microsoft?

i have avg, i tried with it disabled

how can i tell if it is installed once it is?

as far as where i got it from, i did it through their website as i couldnt find it installed in the auto updates

sorry i dont have more details as im not currently booted in windows, just that it wouldnt apply and it takes forever to try it (with it having to configure and the like)

is this a common issue?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I don't know if it's a common issue or not, only that I've never encountered it. The next time you're booted into Windows, try to install it and tell me what happens and at what point in the installation process the error pops up. To tell whether your computer has SP1 the easiest way IMHO is to hold down the command key and hit "R" on the keyboard to open a run prompt. Type in "winver" and hit enter to see what version of Windows your computer is running.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Hardware issues? I remember I tried installing SP1 on a friend's machine once, it kept failing. Turns out a RAM stick was bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.