Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
At the moment I have a 70-300mm tamron. Surprisingly good Macro lens for what its worth. I am quite happy with the lens, and i used to have some cheap £60 28-70mm tamron lens. hated it and quite literally dumped it (also because it broke:p, actually thats the main reason).

As you might imagine even on 70mm (which is actually 112mm because not full frame camera) its very hard to take any sort of wide, let alone indoor pictures. I was thinking of a 18-150mm (i think it was that) from nikon although that was a bit pricey and second hand was hard to get a hold of. i was thinking of this 18-250 f3.5 tamron

i was just wondering if this was a good lens or not. i will eventually test it out in the shop. but if anyone can suggest another lens that is not more than £300/$450, please do. I am using a D80 so luckily i dont have any of those silly D40/D40x problems.

thanks
carlos

NEiMac

macrumors regular
Most people are going to tell you to stick with Nikon lenses, and I tend to think they are probably right. From what I hear Nikon has better QC. I have heard great things about several 3rd party lenses but the QC can be hit and miss. All being said ill probably go with some for money reasons, hope I don't regret it. Far as which ones you should go for I have no idea.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Each brand has their strong points and weaknesses, just like Nikon does. There are some 3rd party lenses which actually surpass their Nikon counterparts, the one I can think about right off the top of my head is the 11-17mm f/2.8 Tokina over the Nikon 12-24mm, however these types of calls can be subjective depending on the person and their personal style.

Personally, I still own a Tamron 70-210 f/2.8 which is completely manual, but coupled with the internal rangefinder focus assist on my Nikon bodies it takes kick a$$ images. In the case of the MF lens the food adage plays a part ... "slow food is good food." Hence, I use this lens for landscapes or other things that are going to move on me.

In my opinion, I would do extensive research over at dpreview.com to get solid, unbiased, info on the various lenses you might be considering. My own preferences however go in this order ... Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, and then Tamron

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
What about this one
Seems good, has image stabilizer to.

yeah my dad has this. infact my dada bought the same camera i bought minus the body, two batteries and 70-300 and flash...

its a very good lens and i might just buy it since we live miles away (im at uni, he obviously isnt). thanks for dpreview, forgot about that site

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.