PDA

View Full Version : dirty Disc?

eclipse525
May 4, 2004, 06:01 PM
Here's my problem. I have this backup disc(whinds up being the only copy) that has been in this plastic sleeve. Somehow it was in the sleeve, read side facing the plastic and now the read side has the texture off the plastic on it. I guess with heat or time it transfered on the disc. I've tried putting the disc under cold water and rubbing with a soft cloth but it won't come off. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can clean up this disc??? Oh, obviously, the computer won't read it as is.

~e

realityisterror
May 4, 2004, 07:21 PM
my suggestion would be to try rubbing alcohol... i don't know if that would destroy the disc, but i think most disc cleaners have some form of alcohol on it...

next time, don't put the cd in that way :rolleyes: ;)

reality

Frisco
May 4, 2004, 07:46 PM
Here's my problem. I have this backup disc(whinds up being the only copy) that has been in this plastic sleeve. Somehow it was in the sleeve, read side facing the plastic and now the read side has the texture off the plastic on it. I guess with heat or time it transfered on the disc. I've tried putting the disc under cold water and rubbing with a soft cloth but it won't come off. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can clean up this disc??? Oh, obviously, the computer won't read it as is.

~e

Use Windex--works wonders on cds and dvds

eclipse525
May 5, 2004, 09:26 AM
I'll give them a shot and let you know. Thanks.

~e

May 5, 2004, 10:50 AM
Use Windex--works wonders on cds and dvds

no need to rely on chemicals - water and a soft cloth will work fine, but cold water doesn't do much in the way of breaking chemical bonds. hot water (not quite boiling, but too hot to run over your skin) will take almost anything off that a commercially available chemical will, and it has the added benefit of being virtually free. i'd try hot water first. i've cleaned many a CD with that method.

did you have it in one of those big CaseLogic CD folders? you've learned your lesson this time... (not being patriarchal, but those things will ruin your whole CD collection if you leave them in there long enough.)

eclipse525
May 19, 2004, 11:23 PM
no need to rely on chemicals - water and a soft cloth will work fine, but cold water doesn't do much in the way of breaking chemical bonds. hot water (not quite boiling, but too hot to run over your skin) will take almost anything off that a commercially available chemical will, and it has the added benefit of being virtually free. i'd try hot water first. i've cleaned many a CD with that method.

did you have it in one of those big CaseLogic CD folders? you've learned your lesson this time... (not being patriarchal, but those things will ruin your whole CD collection if you leave them in there long enough.)

Well, i tried what you said but it didn't work. I also tried the windex thing and that didn't work.

Seems like the texture of the plastic in imprinted on the disc. I might need some sort of scratch removal product/kit. Anyone know of any good ones??? Thanks.

~e

maxvamp
May 20, 2004, 01:01 AM
First, Rubbing Alcohol will fog CDs and DVDs. Don't use it on acrylic. The proper way to clean acrylic is with luke warm water, and a mild detergent like polmolive.

For your case, try a product I like from Allsop (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000J1QP/qid=1085032369/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/103-3338445-9831821?v=glance&s=electronics) . You need to put more elbow grease into it than the directions specify.

You can also try a real acrylic polish from Novus (http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/noscre.html) . Just don't use any product on the lable side of a DVD or CD.

Max.

7on
May 20, 2004, 01:15 AM
http://www.surprise.com/electronics/accessories_and_supplies/Digital_Innovations_DVD_Disc_Repair_Device_DVDDOCTOR.cfm

DI's DiskDoctor should work.