Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPhone's Home Button less responsive?

• My iPhone is >= 6 months old. The Home Button is less responsive as before.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • My iPhone is less than 6 months old. The Home Button is less responsive as before.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • My iPhone is >= 6 months old. The Home Button is as responsive as before.

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • My iPhone is less than 6 months old. The Home Button is as responsive as before.

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters

sychee

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Just want to know whether your Home Button is less responsive? Does it take a "hard-press" or numerous tries to trigger the action?

sychee

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Some times I wish my home button was more responsive. But I think sometimes it might be related to that fact that it is jailbroken.

If it is less responsive, it is due to hardware and not firmware issue.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
Just want to know whether your Home Button is less responsive? Does it take a "hard-press" or numerous tries to trigger the action?

Realized just a couple days ago that the home button wasn't responding when I pressed it. I had to either press it very hard, multiple times, or basically hold it down for it to work properly. Was pretty annoying, thank goodness the new one is hopefully coming out soon... :)

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
i took mine back to the apple store and they replaced it. It's a hardware fault, not software. Test out pressing the button with your friends iphone. That sounded a little rude didn't it :eek:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Totally off topic, but the only feature that has been laggy and getting on my nerves lately had been the accelerometer. Sometimes, I am clearly holding my phone in a vertical position, but the screen stays in landscape mode. This has happened with several apps, but mostly with Safari. It gets stuck in landscape or takes a good 30-60 seconds to go back to portrait. Sometimes I actually have to close the app to get portrait back.

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Take it back...

I bought my 3G the day it came out, and returned it this week to the apple store on 14th street in NYC. The "genius" first restored the software to make sure that it was not just a software issue. He then checked for water damage, and thank god he did not find any. After that, he switched it out no questions asked. As long as there is not any water damage, they will either fix or swap your phone out... Usually....

sg.hill

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Chicago
I had the first generation from when it was launched until November 2008, when I traded it in for the 3G. The quality seemed so much better on that first iPhone, with both software and hardware...pre-keyboard lag, anyway.

On this phone the button on the headphones has gone dead, a pixel has been frozen blue since March, and about 10% of the time it takes several presses of the button or a power+home reset to get back home. Lastly, within the past week Google Maps has been crashing almost every time I switch from List to Map or Vice Versa. Yikes!

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
My third iPhone's home button failed entirely. I'm on iPhone 3G number four now.

Superb quality control from Apple this time around.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Some times I wish my home button was more responsive. But I think sometimes it might be related to that fact that it is jailbroken.

If it is less responsive, it is due to hardware and not firmware issue.

See now I've been wondering since yesterday about home buttons and jailbreaks. Once every couple of days I'll press my home button to bring up the unlock screen and nothing'll happen, I'll have to press again. This never used to happen and I recently rejailbroke.

I didn't make any connection until I saw my boyfriend do the exact same thing on his jailbroken 2G yesterday.

On how they feel, mine is quite easy to push in, my boyfriend's seems to be stiffer and have more of a click to it. We both have 2Gs, I prefer mine.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
My iPhone's home button is just as responsive as it was at the beginning of this school year when I got it.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I've had a first generation iPhone for more than a year now, and sometimes it takes an extra click for the home button to work. My home button's always been weird though, you have to push it much harder and farther down than other iPhones. Wonder if it can be fixed easily.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
When I upgraded from 2G to 3G I noticed that the home button is less responsive.. but I've gotten used to it.

con500

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
See now I've been wondering since yesterday about home buttons and jailbreaks. Once every couple of days I'll press my home button to bring up the unlock screen and nothing'll happen, I'll have to press again. This never used to happen and I recently rejailbroke.

I didn't make any connection until I saw my boyfriend do the exact same thing on his jailbroken 2G yesterday.

On how they feel, mine is quite easy to push in, my boyfriend's seems to be stiffer and have more of a click to it. We both have 2Gs, I prefer mine.

I had the 2g und upgraded to 3g four months ago, i honestly feel i have had so many more issues with the 3g in that time and have also had it replaced in march...Home button does seem softer (more fragile) 3g also causing issues and get a lot of dropped calls (i know this is probably netwrk related but most times i have 3g switched off and still i drop calls) Also my earpiece volume is insanely low and have to be in a quiet room just to hear...Its a pain.

My 2g just seemed so much more reliable. Hardware and sofware just operated well, and i miss it.

My girlfriend has my old 2g and just yesterday asked her if she wuld like the 3g upgrade;).....Wrong of me i know but maybe the 3g will be kinder to her:p

12GA

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Upstate NY
I've got a 1st gen that's running 1.1.4 which I purchased a year ago in April. The home button has been touchy the past month or so and it stopped working entirely this weekend. :(

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I had problems with my home button from the get go when I bought my 3g iphone. I had to hit it several times before it did anything. Took it to AT&T they did a hard reset. It worked for like an hour then it kept messing up again.
I took it downtown to the Apple Store and they replaced it. I haven't had any problems since then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.