Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to a ThinkSecret source, Apple may be considering expanding its direct sales model further.

This move would bring it into direct competition against traditional catalog resellers (MacWarehouse, MacMall) which have historically represented a large portion of the Mac sales market.

At this early stage, it appears that they have simply investigated this plan as a possibility, and it's unclear if they will pursue this option. In light of recent reseller lawsuits, however, such a move may further strain reseller relations.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
well this will definitely piss off more apple resellers, but if apple wants opts to bring out their own catalog then more power to them. dell does pretty well and they are the only ones selling dells right? but does apple have enough products to have their own catalogs?

jaesk8er

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Bay Area
Do any of you realy buy from resellers mags??
I used to but the apple store is so much better and w/ a student discount who could cry.
It would be a sweet looking mag if they do.

mixylplik3

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
Boston
Having to buy Apple hardware from resellers? Why not just go direct and offer the same types of promotions (free RAM upgrades, etc) that Dell does? I never use resellers for Apple-branded hardware.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple Magazine

If they produced a high-quality magazine that featured articles on using OS X, developing software for the platform, using the various iApps, as well as being a sales pitch, I think they'd have a winner.

I used to subscribe to MacWorld for years. I even have (used to have?) the original 1984 MacWorld!!!! What a charm that was. Hope I can find it again.

I stopped subscribing because the amount of advertising in the magazine began to overtake the article content, and that wasn't worth the $8.00+ cost per copy. The only ads I really enjoyed were Apples. ;)

I think this would be a real educational opportunity for Apple. A high-quality production wouldn't be easily tossed in the trash.

acidrock

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2004
The Evergreen State College
Macrumors said:
According to a ThinkSecret source, Apple may be considering expanding its direct sales model further.

This move would bring it into direct competition against traditional catalog resellers (MacWarehouse, MacMall) which have historically represented a large portion of the Mac sales market.

it is my recommendation that you do everything you can to piss off macmall. I have delt with them several times, and never will again. For example I asked to be not put on their mailing list and they did anyway, among countless other complaints. It is my advise that you not order from the macmall/ clubmac counterpart. -n

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Thats kinda harsh, if this does eventuate that is. I don't see a point really?

raynegus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2003
I think it's a good idea. More profit margin for Apple *could* bring prices for the consumer down. When it comes to internet and mail order sales, Apple really does not need to pay a middle man. They can do these sales themselves. I can see keeping some private retail stores around to suppliment Apple's retail stores, but since Apple already does direct sales through their website, why not do it all and and keep the profits? That's the way I'd do it.

It's harsh but hey that's business.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
jaesk8er said:
Do any of you realy buy from resellers mags??
I used to but the apple store is so much better and w/ a student discount who could cry.
It would be a sweet looking mag if they do.
I buy from resellers all the time, not just Apple products but everything.
I want the best price and I do not get what directly from Apple.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I don't like the idea of Apple alienating large distribution companies that have been loyal to the Mac market and that have big followings...This wouldn't be smart.

With respect to the idea of having an Apple magazine: I think the logistics and the production costs would be way too high for that to be a profitable venture for Apple. I don't want to see Apple's core objective as a manufacturer diluted by side endeavors that add little value to the experience. That there are other companies willing to dedicate entire magazines to the Mac user experience (and who are able to do so profitably) is a testament to the Mac community. Here's another place where Apple sticking its nose in would alienate loyal companies. Therefore, I think this would definitely work against Apple in the long run (and probably the short run, too).

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
This would rock

I think it would rock! Anyone remember the old Apple Catalog from the early '90s? They sold shirts and mouse pads and the like. Then they started selling certain models of computers.

It was a great catalog. It was around for a year or so... Then like all other good ideas of the day, it died a quick death.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Go for it Apple!

I think that this would be a really neat idea - Apple Magazine! I'd subscribe. I don't think that it would hurt sales of resellers because it's just like adding one more competitor. Either way, Apple gets their money. I think it's a great idea to have an upscale, classy magazine from Apple. Cool! :)

JOD8FY

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I thought that a lot of the non-Mac products that the Apple Store (online) sold came from a partnership with MacMall or some other catalog store? Is this not true anymore?

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I don't really see how this would compete with the other Mac reseller magazines. They all have around the same prices, so they compete by giving away freebies like ram, printer, etc. I doubt apple would do anything like this.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I don't see it happening

We have online ordering from apple, we don't need anything else. The only thing that I can see this being a good thing is for expose and Apple representatives. They can take a catalog around with them of all the hardware they have and the prices for people who are buying hardware, and lots of hardware. Right now they don't have that, they have printed out stapled together stuff that looks unprofessional that they show to people (such as schools and businesses).

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Apple is simply trying to cut out the middle man. They have everyone's address that has bought a Mac. Sending out a catalog would be an easy way to see who bites. Eventually MacMall will go out of business, and Apple will see more profits. Sad really, since they are essentially bullying out their own resellers.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
coolfactor said:
If they produced a high-quality magazine that featured articles on using OS X, developing software for the platform, using the various iApps, as well as being a sales pitch, I think they'd have a winner.

word! especially if the magazine appeared in finland too ;) but if it were just a catalog, I don't really believe it would bring much new customers (new because old customers are already using the apple store).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I buy from MacZone/PCZone and MacMall/PCMall. They give me a slight discount over normal prices, they have packaged deals now and then, they answer technical questions for me, and they sell more third-party products than Apple does. I like having that choice.

shyataroo

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Hell... Wanna join me?
Apple should just leave macmall alone they make enough money off of macmall I mean Macmall buys the stuff from apple and sells it to us. Apple still gets the same money (unless tmacmall is given a wholesale discount/magazine affiliate discount)

krimson

macrumors 65816
I really dont see the point, mostpeople would end up ordering from the website anyways.

Macmall sucks. I hate them, their customer service blows. I've always been talked down to everytime I used to call them. One time I ordered a game from them (Way back when) and I wanted to return it, unopened, and they tried to tell me they wouldn't take it back. It took 2 weeks and over 12 calls for them finally to take it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.