PDA

View Full Version : converting to mp3

nilserb
May 24, 2009, 08:58 AM
Most of my music is wma. I need to convert them to mp3s to put on my ipod. I downloaded some converter but it takes ages, ive a lot of music. Anything I can use that just does the whole thing at once?

r.j.s
May 24, 2009, 09:07 AM
Are you in Windows or OS X?

nilserb
May 24, 2009, 11:35 AM
os x. was windows.

r.j.s
May 24, 2009, 11:45 AM
os x. was windows.

Do you have access to a Windows machine still?

If so, iTunes can do it.

nilserb
May 24, 2009, 12:08 PM
emm.. i could prob use my old laptop but its a piece of crap. so how would i do it?
im afraid to use itunes, doesnt it mess with all your music? is there anything else i can use?

Eraserhead
May 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
im afraid to use itunes, doesnt it mess with all your music?

In the original 4.1 release for Windows it moved your music to different places, this was fixed like a week or two after iTunes for Windows was announced in 2003 and you now choose in the opening wizard.

You could also try FFMPEG if you are good with computers, or there is EasyWMA (http://www.easywma.com/), though it costs $10.

Btw the music will sound rubbish if you convert from WMA to anything else so its best to get it from its original source as an MP3, by re-ripping it from the CD or whatever.

Also you basically are going to have to use iTunes on your Mac, its practically the only music program available.

nilserb
May 24, 2009, 12:34 PM
yeh see i dont really have access to it anymore. But thanks for the advice. I think the best thing to do is to get a new mp3 player! A creative or something. My ipod is on the blink anyway.

Eraserhead
May 24, 2009, 12:38 PM
Unless you are going to install Windows on your Mac and just use that I'd stick with an iPod...

nilserb
May 24, 2009, 12:51 PM
Oh really? Is it really awkward with other mp3 players?
Its just that years ago before i had a computer i brought all my cds over to a friends and he put them on his computer and must have put all his on the same way, so when i got them back off him the day i got an mp3 player they were all wma files. I guess im just gonna have to convert them all. How much does it mess with the sound? Id rather not have an ipod if possible.

Eraserhead
May 24, 2009, 03:50 PM
Oh really? Is it really awkward with other mp3 players?

Maybe I'm just bias, because you can use Xnjb (http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/) and ones that show up as a disk show up as a disk - though you may have problems doing firmware updates.

Otherwise you can just re-rip your CDs with iTunes, its not really difficult at all, you just put them in the drive and let it get on with it - certainly much easier than using a different MP3 player.

nilserb
May 24, 2009, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately most of my music is stuff I got from my friend! Lots of my cds are really scratched coz I used to carry them around with me in the days of my discman so I messed them up. Thanks for the advice, I'll figure it out. :)
I love my mac but I miss everything working easily like they did when i was pc!

SLC Flyfishing
May 24, 2009, 04:50 PM
Switch should do it, I use it to convert AAC files to MP3 from time to time, and it says it'll handle WMA's as well.

It's very quick, and I've been very very happy with it.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

SLC

knowit
May 25, 2009, 05:45 PM
oh, yes - everything working as easily as on your PC... You switch platform = you learn a new language. Of course things will appear to be more complicated. Takes a little effort but ultimately you are better off. Now to your current dilemma; Who would ever even have considered using wma for anything in the first place? Since you are used to that and will be using a Zen - I suggest just converting to mp3 from wma; you won't be able to hear the difference....