Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Using photoshop CS4 how can I fill the textbox?

For example I write 2 lines in black and want to put a colour behind the text so that it fills it to only where text is and not the whole text box.

Added a quick example

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 566

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Not aware of an automatic way... Pretty easy to do manually though with marque and fill.

Not actually tried before though, so could be entirely wrong :) lol

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Ok then, I swear I could do this in something like powerpoint so I thought that Photoshop should be able to do it.

I had a quick go, not the thing I wanted to do it on but its all good practice.

Thought there would be a quicker way, say I wanted to do this to a couple of paragraphs... that would take the **** lol

It's hard to get the thicknesses consistent as well. Yes I could duplicate the layer x amount of times but how would I know what size each lines needs...

Attachments

• LR Ad.jpg
    LR Ad.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 408

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Ok then, I swear I could do this in something like powerpoint so I thought that Photoshop should be able to do it.

I had a quick go, not the thing I wanted to do it on but its all good practice.

Thought there would be a quicker way, say I wanted to do this to a couple of paragraphs... that would take the **** lol

It's hard to get the thicknesses consistent as well. Yes I could duplicate the layer x amount of times but how would I know what size each lines needs...

Photoshop is not -- no matter how hard Adobe try to bloat the feature-set -- a text-handling application.

Seriously, the point at which you have more than a line of text is the point at which you should be looking at Illustrator or InDesign.

Cheers

Jim

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'll do it in ID then, how would I do this?
I used to use photoshop for everything too but I know what the programs are for now and can use them after some practice.
Just thought Ps could do some text lol

Cheers.
Luke.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I'll do it in ID then, how would I do this?

From memory, if you highlight the text with the text selection tool in ID, then the fill colour will apply to the text. If you select the text box with the object selection tool (black arrow) and pick a fill colour, it will apply to the box itself.

Also: the colour palette will show a 'T' if you're dealing with text colours, rather than box colours.
Edit to add: However, the above will fill the whole text box, rather than apply a background to the text itself, dependent upon the line-length. So, you would need to create a separate text box for each line to achieve the effect in the original post.

Personally, I was always taught to put a separate box behind the text rather than fill the text box itself and -- although that advice came to me working with Quark 3.31 -- it still works for me ...

Cheers

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.