Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I have the latest revB 1.8ghz, 128 ssd MBA.

Does your fan blow often?

Mine does, whenever I start to do even the slightest tasking work, such as having many web pages open, drawing software, typing in word etc., for sure when I connect the 24" ACD the fan is running ...

The fan is also always going when on my lap or outside in the sun ...

Is everyone else's experience the same? My MBP is whisper quiet all the time.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
My fan mostly hovers around 2500 RPM. When it's warm out (or in .. no AC in these parts) or I start watching videos or am covering the vent a bit while resting it on my lap, the fan will kick up to as high as 6200 but does drop down. I would imagine the sun would heat the case up a bit plus probably puts you at a warmer ambient temp, meaning the cooling system has to work harder.

I tend to watch iStat Menus with both fan RPM and temperature.

The MBP benefits from multiple fans, more thermal mass and more air space. I can tell you that the MBP I use from work (albeit less frequently these days ;) ) usually stays at lower RPM but does get warmer, esp the parts that touch your lap (it's first gen MBP).

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Mine rarely kicked up before, and almost never since installing coolbook.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
I have a MBA rev.B base model,
the fan rarely spin up,
it spins @~1800rpm (almost all the time)

the temp increases to ~57C during video playback,
but the fan is still spinning @1800rpm even at this temp.

idle temp ranges 37-42C, again, fan spins @1800rpm

hope this may help a little :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.