Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

054539-iphone21.png

A MacTalk.com.au forum thread reveals that the unreleased "iPhone2,1" model that has been previously referenced actually includes its own icon within the iPhone 3.0 SDK. The icon, however, appears identical to the iPhone1,2 model which represents the current iPhone 3G.

While some may dismiss the fact that very few details can seen in such a small icon, the iPhone1,1 (1st Generation) icon does appear distinct and physically accurate in the images. Readers may also remember that the iPhone 3G's icon was also spotted before its release with only slight differences. In retrospect, an argument can be made that it was an accurate (though low resolution) rendition of the iPhone 3G.

While not a groundbreaking finding, it is consistent with rumors that next generation iPhone would keep a similar form factor to the current model.

Article Link: Unreleased iPhone2,1 Icon Reveals No Major Physical Changes?

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Or they've learned their lessen...
This might be just a placeholder icon.

I wouldn't rely on it too much. (But I wouldn't expect a revolutionary design, either, anyway.)

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
I wouldn't rely on it either.

I doubt they would make a different icon for the same product (well, nearly enough the same)

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Could just be a placeholder for now... until the real one which I've heard is pink!

oops foobar beat me to it.

But anyway we already know it'll look the same don't we? We had that rumour already.... And apart from an unlikely front facing camera, why would it look different? They still need the same size screen, earphone, mic, sensors etc. The only thing they can change is the back.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

svndmvn said:
2,1 white? so, they're plastic again? damn..
was there a white 1,2 iPhone?

White iPhone 3G? I've still got my first gen iPhone and I will upgrade, but only of the new one goes back to a metal case. I much prefer it over the 3G looks-wise.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
why would apple go to the effort of putting a new icon in the beta software? it is just a graphic file, if they change it, it'll make zero difference to developers, it's not going to suddenly break all the code they've been working on, or introduce any bugs into the sdk.

that said - i don't see apple changing the look of the iPhone. it's a good shape and design now, they're looking instead to make production cheaper and so bring the price down. a new design would require new manufacturing processes and so the costs for the new one would be higher than the current one - that's not going to draw in new customers.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
White iPhone 3G? I've still got my first gen iPhone and I will upgrade, but only of the new one goes back to a metal case. I much prefer it over the 3G looks-wise.

I meant a 1,2 White iPhone 3g icon, but I found the answer is yes, I checked the linked thread. I've had many cracks with my black iPhones, was hoping the rumored rubberized/metal/whatever case was true..

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
why would apple go to the effort of putting a new icon in the beta software? it is just a graphic file, if they change it, it'll make zero difference to developers, it's not going to suddenly break all the code they've been working on, or introduce any bugs into the sdk.

that said - i don't see apple changing the look of the iPhone. it's a good shape and design now, they're looking instead to make production cheaper and so bring the price down. a new design would require new manufacturing processes and so the costs for the new one would be higher than the current one - that's not going to draw in new customers.

In the same way that putting in a placeholder icon that looks like the old icon can be replaced at any time.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy

I agree on the first part, even though Apple had already released in advance, as posted in the OP, the new 3g..
As far as cost goes, I believe they've had many cracking cases, which is quite cost effective if you think about it, in Europe it all goes to Holland where they probably send them to China or whatever and refurbish them. Making 2 or more plastic cases for many iPhones, considering the shipping can cost more than having a good metallic case like the original one.

sd2009

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2008
Like others said, could just be a placeholder image.

Then again, there's nothing wrong with the current 3G design IMO. Why "fix" it?

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
Hmm so 3,1 is not coming out soon?

So there is no icon for 3,1 I guess?
Does this mean 3,1 is not going to come out until next year
or is it the case of sell as much 2,1 as they can and then release new version
later in the year?

I hope it's not the later..... although I kind of doubt they will

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

sleeptodream said:
Like others said, could just be a placeholder image.

Then again, there's nothing wrong with the current 3G design IMO. Why "fix" it?

Nothing really wrong look wise to many people, but the plastic casing has proven to be less than ideal. And with Apple shifting entirely to metal casing on iPod, MacBook etc, I think well see a shift back to metal, probably aluminium on the iPhone.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)

I don't think there is any need to change it unless they are adding something that just wouldn't work with the current form factor. Apple saves a lot of money by doing this.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
…I think well see a shift back to metal, probably aluminium on the iPhone.

While I agree the plastic is less than ideal, I'd be surprised if Apple go back to metal enclosures. One of the main driving forces for the new design (that is, the current 3G design) was driving down cost of production. Both the materials and build quality of the 3G iPhone are significantly lower than that of the original iPhone which was designed to make an impression physically.

At this point, Apple are looking to manufacture and deliver in the region of anywhere from 10 to 20 to 30 million units of their new, 3rd generation iPhone. More than ever, every penny will count. The simpler it is to put together, the cheaper it will be to manufacture (and take apart for repairs), which means more profit. We've already seen simplification of the internals (the 3G iPhone consolidated 2 pcb boards to 1), and simplification of the externals (rear case is a single plastic housing).

If anything the third generation device may delve into colors or textures (matte plastic backing, for instance) but I would not bet on exotic (read: expensive) industrial design.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
anyone else think unibody aluminum might be in the works? Would bring production costs down

hhaeschen

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
EU
I don't see any difference in these tini-tiny pics. Not even when being told there's a difference between 1,1 and 1,2.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Matte back would be the only way I'd change the iPhone's design. Oh, and I'd make it as slim as an iPod Touch - those things are incredible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.