PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on these books.

Avizzv92
May 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
I have been wanting to learn a language in-depth for a while, at my school I have taken a Computer Apps class the dabbled in C++, and Visual Basic. Next year I'm going to be taking two full classes on C++ and Java, these classes are pretty much basic introduction too the two languages though the JAVA is a AP class.

With summer coming it gives me some free time to start learning Objective-C and I was looking at these two books...

I was going to go through the Objective-C one first then follow it with the iPhone SDK book.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Developers-Library/dp/0321566157/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-SDK/dp/1430216263/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have read reviews and did research and they appear to be a good place to start. I'm not fluent in any other languages, I only have basic experience with C++... So would you guys think these two book would be a good place to start?

Sorry if you get these kinds of posts a lot.

North Bronson
May 25, 2009, 11:59 PM
I don't have any experience with that iPhone book, but Steve Kochan's work is top notch.

Padaung
May 26, 2009, 03:44 AM
I've just bought both of those books. I'm totally new to programming, and have only started to read the iPhone book so far. I'm finding it very clear for a novice.
Not touched the Kochan book yet. Interestingly, the US Amazon reviews of it are a lot better than the UK Amazon reviews for some reason. Lots of people on here have recommended it, so that's why I got it.

skochan
May 26, 2009, 10:23 AM
Interestingly, the US Amazon reviews of it are a lot better than the UK Amazon reviews for some reason.

You know how tough the Brits can be! (That's a joke--I love England and spent two months working in London last year).

Seriously, most of the comments are about the typos and were justified--the quality control was not good at all (and I share some responsibility there). Most should be gone and reflected in the printing you get. Remember to visit the forum (http://www.classroomM.com) for the book for support, errata, answers, to exercises, etc.

Good luck!

Steve Kochan

Padaung
May 26, 2009, 11:43 AM
Steve Kochan

Aha! That could explain the volume of recommendations and good reviews I've read in these forums :p

I'm looking forward to getting into the guts of your book. I'm sure I'll be posting on your book's forum pages with all sorts of inane newbie questions!

Once I've had a read (I've just looked and I've got the second edition) I'll put my own review up on Amazon UK.

jbcandkc
May 26, 2009, 12:04 PM
I am a programming novice (learned Applesoft Basic back in the 80s, a little Applescript here and there.) I bought Programming in Objective-C 2.0 a few weeks ago at Amazon and I am on Chapter 6 now. I feel this book is really teaching me Objective-C; it has the right mix of text, sample code and exercises to make sure you understand the material.

skochan
May 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
Aha! That could explain the volume of recommendations and good reviews I've read in these forums :p

Ah yes! There's that British sarcasm again! Gotta love it!

Cheers,

Steve Kochan