Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PiecesOF8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2008
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes:
I recently bought a 320gb External so I could store my iTunes library on it. I've done that, but seeing as how iTunes freaks out if I forget to have the external plugged in because it can't locate the library, I just want to create a simple script that will automatically display a yes or no dialog asking if my external is connected on opening iTunes. I'm a little new to scripting and only have a little programming experience, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm just really frustrated.:(

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
You could make a script that when launched: checks if your external HDD is mounted --displaying an error message if not-- and then open iTunes if your HDD is attached. You could even change the icon for the script to the iTunes icon and place it in the dock instead of the real iTunes app. However, when iTunes is active it will add another icon to the dock. I don't know if this will bug you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.