PDA

View Full Version : iBook 10.4: New HD installed! Now what?!

squamtch
May 25, 2009, 01:14 PM
I've successfully installed the Seagate 80GB in my white iBook G4, 12-inch mid-2005. Whew! By the way, this had to be done because the old drive crapped out and professional opinion was that there would be no hope of resurrection. (So note: there will be no use putting the old drive in an external housing because it's probably inoperable. I'm hoping for another way... read on.) However, before it failed, I made a disk image of it and also made a direct drag-and-drop copy of the computer's folders to an external Glyph HD, and also to a newer MacBook Pro. Perhaps that wasn't the best method, but it is what was done.

I intend to run Tiger (OS 10.4. ) on the iBook; that's what it ran before. (Newer computers will run newer systems.) I have all the original system discs.

So, the question is, what are the next steps? I think I would like, if possible, to simply replicate the old drive (how and where things were filed, my few applications, their settings, favorites and bookmarks) onto the new drive - to make it as if, to all appearances, nothing has changed (except of course the greater capacity).

But perhaps this isn't the best thing to aim for; perhaps one is best advised to do a fresh install to a new drive (because using a disc image duplicates errors? other reasons?) and then simply copy over the data you want. But if that's the case then what about the apps, and what about important little system or library files that I might not know of? How do you use these dmg files anyway?

So it's a two-part question: What is the best way to start out with a fresh drive when you have old data and programs you'd like to keep but which are socked away on an external HD? And how do I get old programs onto a new hard drive so that all the permissions and settings are recognized?

Thanks!

Objectivist-C
May 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
Try booting from the Tiger CD and using Disc Utility to restore the disc image to your new drive.

squamtch
May 27, 2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks. You make it sound almost too easy, but I'm going to try it now.

Just what's in a disk image file anyway? Everything (can that be)?

squamtch
May 27, 2009, 08:36 AM
And the problems begin. I started by loading the Tiger installation DVD into the iBook's drive. I held down C to start from the disc. It just makes this staggered click or thud noise, probably unable to read disc (guess the DVD/CD needs replacing too), and I get nowhere.

Next I tried some experiments with target-disc mode (where you hold down the T key). We have a MacBook Pro here running 10.5. I figured I'd try restoring the image in Disk Utility this way.

I first started the MacBook as a target, so the Macbook had the firewire icon running around its screen. I started the iBook and in time it showed the MacBook's deskto image and drive and info as expected. I ran this remote copy of Disk Utility (also tried it from the DVD inserted now in the Macbook), but I couldn't get this to work. Maybe I misunderstand it. I went to the Restore tab. I then dragged the 'Macintosh HD.dmg' file (the backup we made of the iBook, now sitting on the MacBook's hard drive) into the 'source' field; it shows up there, no problem. But when I try to drag the iBook's 74.5 GB HD into the 'destination' field it just doesn't take, and the 'restore' button never comes into focus so I can click it. I also tried reversing the setup, starting the iBook in target mode so as to use the MacBook to restore the dmg file to the target media (now the iBook). No dice there either.

What am I doing wrong?

Objectivist-C
Jun 1, 2009, 01:21 AM
1. Mount the iBook in Target Disk mode using your MB
2. Open Disk Utility on your MB.
3. Ensure the iBook's drive is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with the Apple Partition Map scheme.
4. File > Open Image... and select your disk image
5. Select the partition on the disk image in the left-hand pane (the indented one)
6. In the right-hand pane, select the Restore tab.
7. Drag the disk image's partition to Source
8. Drag the iBook's partition to Destination and check "Erase Destination"
9. Verify you have it set properly.
10. Hit "Restore" in the bottom-right.