PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G5 1.5ghz Sound Problem

racerduck
May 5, 2004, 03:45 AM
Hi All

I just recieved my first powerbook today and all in all I must say its a really cool machine. Its also my first ever mac.

But I have I slight problem with the sound when I connect headphones. The sound in the headphones is fine when I intially plug them in, but after about 30sec- 1min, I get a slight click and them a background hiss occurs, this continues until I either unplug and replug the headphones, after another min the hissing comes back or I use a program which uses sound such as iTunes. But if i close this program, the sound comes back again.

Is this a known mac problem? I've tried different headphones but the problems still persists.

Cheers

R

aswitcher
May 5, 2004, 03:48 AM
What PB configuration have you got ?

racerduck
May 5, 2004, 04:09 AM
I have the latest powerbook 15inch 1.5ghz, 2x256mb ram, 128mb videomemory, superdrive, 80Gb 5400rpm hd.

The software was all preinstalled straight out of the box, I've not changed any settings or intstalled anything, apart from when prompted the first time I switched on to put in the 01 install disk.

jKmxxx
May 5, 2004, 04:27 AM
Is your headphone powered or is the output jack going into any power amp or pre amp receivers?

Also the main build in speakers on the PB, are they hissing too?

oingoboingo
May 5, 2004, 05:03 AM
Hi All

I just recieved my first powerbook today and all in all I must say its a really cool machine. Its also my first ever mac.

But I have I slight problem with the sound when I connect headphones. The sound in the headphones is fine when I intially plug them in, but after about 30sec- 1min, I get a slight click and them a background hiss occurs, this continues until I either unplug and replug the headphones, after another min the hissing comes back or I use a program which uses sound such as iTunes. But if i close this program, the sound comes back again.

Is this a known mac problem? I've tried different headphones but the problems still persists.

Cheers

R

I have no idea what the problem could be, or if this suggestion will help, but try going to the 'Sound' icon in System Preferences. Click the 'Input' tab, and turn the Input level for both the internal microphone and the line in jack down to zero.

Just a hunch...

The only other thing I can think of is are you near any large electrical motors, or do you have something like a washing machine or clothes dryer turned on? My washing machine can induce popping noises in my G5's connected speakers, just from the electromagnetic interference when the washing machine motor switches on and off during the cycle. Again, it's probably not the cause...

racerduck
May 5, 2004, 05:55 AM
The headphones are just standard walkman type headphones. There's nothing else plugged into or comming out of the laptop.

There doesn't appear to be any hissing comming from the build in speakers either.

I'll try turning down Input level for both the internal microphone and the line in jack down to zero, that sounds like it might work. Failing that I'll give apple a call.

I'm at work at the mo, but will have a go tonight and let you know tomorrow.

Cheers guys

Jo-Kun
May 5, 2004, 06:28 AM
hmm the title says you have a "G5" powerbook problem... since there is no G5 PB available yet, you don't have a problem :p

BornAgainMac
May 5, 2004, 07:24 AM
hmm the title says you have a "G5" powerbook problem... since there is no G5 PB available yet, you don't have a problem :p

OR.... I bet it's a secret prototype. That headphone problem is the only problem left to resolve on the new PB G5. Once everything is perfect, they will release them on Tuesday. :)

When I problems with my prototype 4 Ghz Powermac G6, I'll be sure to post those problems on these boards but so far I don't have any problems. It's cool how it floats in mid-air using a very quiet fan. I haven't had a chance to check the firewire 1600 ports or burn DVDs with the Blue Laser drive.

:D

atari1356
May 5, 2004, 09:12 AM
Are you certain the problem isn't with the headphones themselves? Have you tried using them recently on a regular stereo system?

EDIT: nevermind, I see that you tried another pair of headphones and it did the same thing :confused:

racerduck
May 5, 2004, 09:36 AM
Opps I meant G4 powerbook, at least it got peoples attention tho. :rolleyes: