PDA

View Full Version : Builder survives nailgun accident

iGav
May 5, 2004, 10:36 AM
2 questions....

How on earth did this guy survive??? :eek: :confused:

And why did he keep his finger firmly on the trigger after the first one entered his skull??? :eek: :eek: :p

Rinky Dink Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3685791.stm)

Mr. Anderson
May 5, 2004, 10:39 AM
No!!!! That's just not right - talk about the luckiest man *still* alive that day.....

I've seen the pics of the guy shooting 1 nail into his head, but 6 is just unbelievable. Obviously wasn't his time to die....

D

edesignuk
May 5, 2004, 10:45 AM
haha, I read this in the metro this morning, how the hell did he manage to put 6 in his head :confused:

Mr. Anderson
May 5, 2004, 10:51 AM
haha, I read this in the metro this morning, how the hell did he manage to put 6 in his head :confused:

If the gun was set to automatic, well, the first shot might have stunned him and he couldn't let go fast enough....still damn scary

D

edesignuk
May 5, 2004, 10:55 AM
If the gun was set to automatic, well, the first shot might have stunned him and he couldn't let go fast enough....still damn scary

D
I would be very surprised if an nail gun had an auto mode, surely that'd be a HUGE safety risk :eek:

Mr. Anderson
May 5, 2004, 10:57 AM
I would be very surprised if an nail gun had an auto mode, surely that'd be a HUGE safety risk :eek:

"His colleagues said Isidro was using a nailgun that has both manual and fully automatic settings," said deputy sheriff Dan McPherson.

Lawsuit?

D

edesignuk
May 5, 2004, 11:00 AM
Lawsuit?

D
ah, ok then...I'm amazed these things have an auto mode, that's just asking for trouble!

iGav
May 5, 2004, 11:03 AM

that's what I thought... :confused: the ones I've used didn't have an 'auto' setting, and you had to have them on a surface, and push them down before they'll fire. If they had an 'auto' mode, then surely they'd as dangerous as a gun, especially in the hands of some not very smart 'brickie'. :eek: :p :p

6 nails though.... :eek: :p :p it'd be like a real life 'Pinhead' from Hellraiser wouldn't it... heheh one hell of a Halloween party costume! heheh

3-22
May 5, 2004, 11:04 AM
2 questions....

How on earth did this guy survive??? :eek: :confused:

And why did he keep his finger firmly on the trigger after the first one entered his skull??? :eek: :eek: :p

Rinky Dink Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3685791.stm)

I'd like to know how in the heck he did it. It doesn't sound like any nail gun I have ever used. Perhaps it's very old one or something. Nail guns I have used only shoot one nail per pull of the trigger, and there is also a safety switch that requires it to be pressed down on something.

mactastic
May 5, 2004, 11:16 AM
I've seen guys put duct tape over the tip to bypass the saftey feature. It helps them move faster. I don't allow that type of stuff on my job sites. I've never seen a fully automatic nail gun.

&RU
May 5, 2004, 11:33 AM
Automatic or not, they were in the back of his scull and spine. Try poking yourself in the back of your head, now think of doing that with something the size and weight of a power drill -- oh, and it hurts.

Those x-rays look like someone waltzed up behind him and let him have it.

Dros
May 5, 2004, 11:41 AM
Automatic or not, they were in the back of his scull and spine. Try poking yourself in the back of your head, now think of doing that with something the size and weight of a power drill -- oh, and it hurts.

Those x-rays look like someone waltzed up behind him and let him have it.

Yeah, I can barely brush my hair back there. It gets even harder as your hand moves farther back away from the skull surface, which it seems like it would need to do to be holding the thing at the right angle.

JesseJames
May 5, 2004, 12:15 PM
That's one for Ripley's Believe it or Not!

iGav
May 5, 2004, 01:50 PM
That's one for Ripley's Believe it or Not!

or Jackass... heheheh

edesignuk
May 5, 2004, 01:55 PM
or Jackass... heheheh
HA! Steve-o wouldn't go near this! I don't think those ******** up welsh nutterz in Dirty Sanchez would even be stupid enough for this one.

wdlove
May 5, 2004, 01:57 PM
That is an amazing story, an angel watching over him. I'm also surprised that he's not paralyzed by the nail that hit his spinal column. Can't imagine why the gun would have an automatic setting either. :eek:

vollspacken
May 5, 2004, 02:21 PM
maybe he has seen "Hellraiser" one time too often... ;)

http://www.pitofhorror.com/Hellraiser/pinhead.gif

vSpacken

Frohickey
May 5, 2004, 02:24 PM
We need to ban nail guns, now.
We need to subject automatic nail guns to a $200 federal tax, and stop the importation of new automatic nail guns into the country.
We need to have background checks and 10 day cooling off periods for people that want to buy nail guns.
We need to have a loaded nail chamber indicator on new nail guns sold.
We need to have Smart nail gun technology that only allows the owner to fire the nail gun.

:D :D :D :eek:

iMeowbot
May 5, 2004, 03:02 PM
We need to ban nail guns, now.

After this one (http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1083166045308860.xml), I won't be the least surprised if someone suggest it seriously.

virividox
May 5, 2004, 03:36 PM
its a miracle hes alive.

its truly amazing that 6 giant nails couldnt kill him whereas something as small as a pin in the right play could normally kill someone

krimson
May 5, 2004, 04:16 PM
this reminds me of that guy that fell into a wood chippper last week.

-----
Tree Trimmer Killed By Wood Chipper
April 30, 2004 - A tree-service employee in Florida fell into a wood chipper and was killed instantly, police said.

The incident happened Thursday in Hillsborough County near Tampa.

Police said Gordon McKay, 51, died instantly when he fell into the chipper.

Detectives believe McKay was trying to clear a jam in the chipper. He reportedly climbed into the chipper and kicked a large bundle of branches when the machine pulled half his body through the mechanism.

Frohickey
May 5, 2004, 04:20 PM
How much wood would a wood chipper chip if a wood chipper would chip wood? :eek:

JesseJames
May 5, 2004, 04:51 PM
Geez, that wood chipper story has to get a Darwin Award. If you're foolish enough to do what he did. Well, it's just thinning the herd.

My God what a dumbass. WTF? Geez.

kylos
May 6, 2004, 12:43 AM
As mactastic mentioned, I've never heard of an automatic nail gun in the sense you think of a machine gun. What this is probably referring to is a mechanism that allows the gun to fire by depressing the safety. This allows you to hold down the trigger and slap the gun against a surface to fire. It makes for extremely rapid progress, but people have been known to nail right across their hand or foot while nailing off a stretch. :D

That guy didn't do that to himself and if the police believe for one moment that he did, then they are seriously messed up. It would require picking the gun up and tapping it against your neck six times in order to do that. You would never have the gun behind your head like that for any purpose while working. No accident would fire the gun six times. Someone did this to him. Possibly an argument. But not an accident at all.

kylos
May 6, 2004, 01:02 AM
Ok, if there is any way this happened accidentally, I think I've come up with a likely scenario. The article says he slipped. He has two nails through the right side of his skull and four through the back.

Possibly, somehow, as he fell, the gun or his arm caught on something so that it was positioned behind his head. Now to actually get the gun to fire six times in rapid succession seems complicated, but I have seen a gun recoil after firing into a hard surface. Now if he is holding the gun loosely, it is possible that the gun recoiled, lifting itself far enough off his head to reactivate the safety. Gravity then caused the gun to fall back against his head, firing again and recoiling again due to the hardness of his skull. This happened 4 times before his head slumped over when he fired 2 to the side of his skull as the gun slipped off. As you can see in the x-ray, the 2 on the side were much less accurate.

However, that seems like an incredibly impossible sequence anyhow, and I still can't imagine that that isn't the result of foul play.

MarkCollette
May 6, 2004, 01:06 AM
I actually survived a nail gun accident too. Last summer I was doing some framing with my brother, and I shot myself in the chest with a nail gun. It was centimeters from puncturing my heart.

And just to head off the questions of how one could be such a klutz... I was on top of a ladder, which was precariously balanced on some uneven ground. I had to nail down at 45 degrees, on both sides of some wood, which meant nailing away from me and towards me. Well, just as I was nailing, towards me, the ladder shifted ever so slightly. The result was that I leaned forward, towards the wood, and my arm changed the angle of the gun, from 45 degrees, to almost straight out. The 6 inch nail went through the less than 4 inch piece of wood, and the rest went into me.

I grunted loudly, and my brother came to see what happenned. I carefully set down the nail gun, so as not to damage it, and came down the ladder. He drove me to the hospital, where I didn't have to wait long in line, due to the pool of blood soaking my previously white t-shirt.

It was then that we decided that I should always wear that t-shirt when going to the hospital - to save on waiting time ;)

cyks
May 6, 2004, 01:51 AM
He drove me to the hospital, where I didn't have to wait long in line, due to the pool of blood soaking my previously white t-shirt.

It was then that we decided that I should always wear that t-shirt when going to the hospital - to save on waiting time ;)

I'll have to keep that in mind for any future visits....
- just need to figure out a shirt to wear to speed up the line at the DMV and I'd be set now ;)

Doctor Q
May 6, 2004, 01:59 AM
Lawsuit?They just need a warning label:

Caution: Nail gun not to be used as a hairstyling tool

Coolvirus007
May 6, 2004, 03:43 AM
This nail gun sounds more like a weapon than a construction tool. Maybe the iraqi will starting using them after they run out of ammo for their aks'

virividox
May 6, 2004, 04:33 AM
well was it quake or duke nukem where the nail gun was a weapon heheh

Doctor Q
May 6, 2004, 11:57 AM
2 questions....

How on earth did this guy survive???

And why did he keep his finger firmly on the trigger after the first one entered his skull???I read the articles and I can answer your questions:

1. Extreme luck. One nail just missed major blood vessels in his brain. One just missed the area that controls movement and breathing in his brainstem. One entered his spinal column but just missed his spinal cord, where it would have left him a quadriplegic if it had been three millimeters to the left. This guy should buy a lottery ticket!

He was also lucky to find a talented surgeon, who even had experience in this area. Two years ago, Dr. Rafael Quinonez removed a nail from the brain of another construction worker!

2. It wasn't his finger on the trigger. He fell from the roof of the building onto a worker on the second story, who instinctively held tight to the nailgun as he tried to keep his balance. The gun shot the 3.5 inch nails into the victim (Isidro Mejia) before his coworker could let go.

orangedv
May 6, 2004, 03:35 PM
Hi you lot, just reading this put you off your dinner thread, when my eyes gazed at the bottom of the screen. Anyone else getting this ad? Makes me wonder if we started discussing rape and murder of innocents wether google would be advertising blow torches and handcuffs......

Doctor Q
May 6, 2004, 03:50 PM
Hi you lot, just reading this put you off your dinner thread, when my eyes gazed at the bottom of the screen. Anyone else getting this ad? Makes me wonder if we started discussing rape and murder of innocents wether google would be advertising blow torches and handcuffs......When I went to read the Car Dangles From Parking Garage (http://www.local6.com/news/3272910/detail.html) news story last night, I saw an SUV ad next to the story. Coincidence?

Frohickey
May 6, 2004, 03:57 PM
this reminds me of that guy that fell into a wood chippper last week.

-----
Tree Trimmer Killed By Wood Chipper
April 30, 2004 - A tree-service employee in Florida fell into a wood chipper and was killed instantly, police said.

The incident happened Thursday in Hillsborough County near Tampa.

Police said Gordon McKay, 51, died instantly when he fell into the chipper.

Detectives believe McKay was trying to clear a jam in the chipper. He reportedly climbed into the chipper and kicked a large bundle of branches when the machine pulled half his body through the mechanism.

OWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

I wonder what movie was going through his mind as that was happening.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?
License to Kill (James Bond 007)

mental note to self, if you ever work with a wood chipper, and there is a jam in the chipper, do not clear the jam while the wood chipper is on, and is plugged in/has power.

Frohickey
May 6, 2004, 03:58 PM
When I went to read the Car Dangles From Parking Garage (http://www.local6.com/news/3272910/detail.html) news story last night, I saw an SUV ad next to the story. Coincidence?

At least there was nobody inside the BMW as it was dangling. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Frohickey
May 6, 2004, 04:31 PM
This guy should buy a lottery ticket!

Don't think so. I think this guy used up all of his luck. :eek:

BrianKonarsMac
May 6, 2004, 05:07 PM
a full automatic mode is definitely a huge oversight. a skilled construction worker would have no problem pulling the trigger to fire the nail gun, but a fully automatic mode? wtf would you need that for? a skilled construction worker wouldn't be able to move fast enough to require a full atuo mode, and it would only create a liability for unskilled workers (such as the one in the article, how you can slip and fall with a nail gun in your hands in beyond me...but to end up with it next to your head when you hit the ground...sounds like some mischief was going on to me).

BrianKonarsMac
May 6, 2004, 05:10 PM
They just need a warning label:

Caution: Nail gun not to be used as a hairstyling tool

acupuncture to be performed by a qualified technician :D.

kylos
May 6, 2004, 07:00 PM
2. It wasn't his finger on the trigger. He fell from the roof of the building onto a worker on the second story, who instinctively held tight to the nailgun as he tried to keep his balance. The gun shot the 3.5 inch nails into the victim (Isidro Mejia) before his coworker could let go.

Ok, that makes more sense. Cause there really is no way he could do that to himself.

As I mentioned earlier, the automatic mode mentioned should not be confused with a fully automatic gun. That would be stupid to fire a stream of nails like that. What it likely refers to is the ability to fire the gun by depressing the safety, so that a worker can nail something off by simply holding the trigger down and tapping the gun against a surface. This is much more rapid than depressing the safety, pulling the trigger, releasing the trigger, repositioning the gun, pulling the trigger again, and so forth. This is much faster, but is somewhat more dangerous if you are not paying attention (eg. nailing across a surface and then across your hand). The hardness of the skull probably caused the gun to bounce after each shot, thus resetting the safety.