Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
So it used to be in 10.4 that if one put
1) "DHCP Client ID" under System Preferences => Network => Ethernet
2) Matched above under System Preferences => Sharing => "Computer Name"
all would be well. But unless there is something quirky that changed on the Windows side I cannot seem to entirely hook up the network. I can receive an IP from the DHCP just fine. But I cannot seem to get the DHCP record to push to the DNS. Thus I have no PTR or APR. So no one can nslookup or host my machine name. In fact if someone else had the same IP before, the host <IP> returns the previous user's machine name.

Any ideas to tell the system administrators.

*Note: My employer doesn't officially support Macs which is why I'm asking and not the system administrators.

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Under Advanced in the configuration for your Ethernet adapter, click the WINS tab and enter your WINS server addresses. Normally, in an Active Directory domain, you can get away with entering the same IP's as your DNS servers and it will work.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I can't tell you why it isn't working now, but if they are willing, on the DHCP server, assuming it is AD intergrated, there is an option for the DHCP client to update DNS with the relevant information.

Ask them if they can tick that for you. Then, when the DHCP server gives your Mac an address, it will update DNS for you

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Under Advanced in the configuration for your Ethernet adapter, click the WINS tab and enter your WINS server addresses. Normally, in an Active Directory domain, you can get away with entering the same IP's as your DNS servers and it will work.

From what I understand, we're not using WINS at all. But I will verify that. Thanks.

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
I can't tell you why it isn't working now, but if they are willing, on the DHCP server, assuming it is AD intergrated, there is an option for the DHCP client to update DNS with the relevant information.

Ask them if they can tick that for you. Then, when the DHCP server gives your Mac an address, it will update DNS for you

I will ask them about that. Thanks for the help. I'll report back.

Edit:
Here are the options checked:
* Enable DNS dynamic updates according to the settings below:
** Always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records
* Discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted

There is an option not checked:
Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates (for example, clients running Windows NT 4.0)

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
I found this. So if this is correct then OS X doesn't send a request to the DNS server to update A and PTR records. Is there a way to make OS X do this?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
IIRC there's an option on MS-DHCP to update PTR / A host records on DNS of computer regardless if they've sent an update request or not.

: Just checked; under the 'Enable DNS dynamic updates ....' thingy, there's two radio buttons, the second is 'Always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records.'

This is how i have 2003 server configured on my home server and it creates the records correctly for my macbook pro etc.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I found this. So if this is correct then OS X doesn't send a request to the DNS server to update A and PTR records. Is there a way to make OS X do this?

I doubt there is a way of making OS X do this. Chances are you're employer has got DNS set to only allow secure updates, which means only computers that are part of AD will be allowed to update DNS.

You mentioned earlier that the box to Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates (for example, clients running Windows NT 4.0) isn't ticked, they will need to tick that to allow your Mac client to have up to date DNS records

Edit: Have you tried modifying the /etc/hostconfig file to put your machines name in there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.