Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
OK so i installed the leapord on my girlfriends macbook using a external hard drive, everything went fine but after the installation, (which it should restart and come up with the apple welcome screen) it stops at the apple logo, i tried doing the installation again and its the same, any ideas guys?

Thanks,
Yizi

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
No its a working one, and its been riped from my retail DVD, also used the DVD to check and did the same, so what i did i used the disk utility inside the DVD to erase and re partition the HD to install everything, again everything went fine but now beside having the apple logo its keep restarting ...

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Was there anything wrong with the computer before you did this? And when you installed the system, did you do an Archive and Install, or a Clean Install?

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Nothing wrong with the system and i did a clean install, i had all her data backup on my iMac

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Nothing wrong with the system and i did a clean install, i had all her data backup on my iMac

That's strange. I would try doing this and if you have no luck, I'd boot from the copy of Leopard again and run Disk Utility to run the Repair Disk option under the First Aid tab.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
What kind of Mac and what partition scheme did you use?

Intel Macs must be formatted in GUID and PPC Macs must be formatted using Apple Partition Scheme. If they are wrong it won't boot.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Mac OS Extended (journaled) is the format, not the partition scheme. Disk Utility should report the partition scheme on the bottom when you have the highest level of the drive selected.

To change it you will have to reformat using the Partitions Tab in Disk Utility and choosing Options/Advanced Options to select partitioning type.

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Yes thats in GUID, im thinking putting the hard drive in a external bay and connect it to my mac and try to install it like that and put it back into the macbook when its done ..

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Yes thats in GUID, im thinking putting the hard drive in a external bay and connect it to my mac and try to install it like that and put it back into the macbook when its done ..

CHeck if it's the computer or the new install. If you put the hard drive in an external, can you boot from it using another computer?

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
i placed the hard drive in the external bay and as it was empty it came up as normal usb external hard drive on my imac, but the problem is i tried to install osx on the external drive while connected to mu imac, everything went fine same as macbook but it froze in the apple logo with the loading animation keep going ....

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Im gonna give it one more try intalling it off external hd if it didnt work i take it apple

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
OK so we took it the apple store and they said it either the logic board or the RAM but i was all about the hard drive and stuff, so they said everything will be free to fix it, they took it away and we got a call today saying its ready and guess what was the problem, i was right the hard drive, so if anyone has this problem there is a very high % is the HD, Thanks for the help everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.