PDA

View Full Version : G4 MDD running hotter than usual

cave12man
May 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
Have a G4 MDD and it has started to run hotter than usual. Its actually starting to seriously affect the temp in the room. Are there any fixes for this or is it just how it goes? I tried vacuuming it out and cleaning some of the dust out to help the airflow a little but some places are a little hard to access without tearing it apart. Any thoughts?

lannister80
May 27, 2009, 01:35 PM
Well, your machine shouldn't be generating any more heat than it used too...a machine generally generates a set amount of heat (for the task, dependent on CPU load, etc), and then it's about how well or how poorly it dissipates that heat. Lots of heat inside machine = bad.

As a matter of fact, a really good cleaning would, if anything, make your room hotter since more of the heat is making it out into the ambient environment instead of being trapped in the box.

So, if your room is hotter...are you running more processor-intensive tasks lately? Something like Folding@Home or BOINC? Or maybe your power supply is having some kind of trouble that is causing it to overheat? I don't know much about power supplies though...

edgew8
May 27, 2009, 01:39 PM
You could open a window.

I am no scientist, but rooms usually get warmer and warmer as spring turns to summer.