Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hamilton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Hi,I'm a first time buyer with apple macs and need advice.
I'm thinking of getting a Mac mini and Logic express 8 to kick start my music production career but I'm low on cash.:(
Can you use just apple displays with a Mac mini or can you use any?
Any other info on mac minis or logic express 8 would be appreciated:

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Welcome to the Mac. :)

You can use just about any type of display with a Mac mini, you don't need an Apple display. So if you've already got a computer monitor, you can just use that one with it instead. The Mac mini is a great machine, by the way.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
You will need an adapter to go with whichever screen you choose... unless you go with the 24" LED Cinema Display of course.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Getting a mini-DVI to DVI adapter or a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter are good ways of attaching any monitor. Only Apple displays can be used on the Mini DisplayPort, which can be a little flakey. I'd personally go with the MiniDVI, but that's just me.

I'm not too sure on this, but audio programs generally like more RAM and virtual instruments can eat up a HDD; however, I am sure your needs are not as intense as some :D I think the Mini has a 3GB RAM limit.... Were you buying the entry-level version?

EDIT;
It comes with a Mini DVI-DVI adapter, so you can use any DVI display out of the box.
Tallest Skil beat me to it - since the adapter comes in-box, no need to worry about it. Did you have a particular display in mind?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Hi,I'm a first time buyer with apple macs and need advice.
I'm thinking of getting a Mac mini and Logic express 8 to kick start my music production career but I'm low on cash.:(
Can you use just apple displays with a Mac mini or can you use any?
Any other info on mac minis or logic express 8 would be appreciated:

you'll be more than fine with logic express. and yeah any monitor will do. most monitors are VGA which shouldn't be a problem. any monitor will work - depending on the type of cable you might need another adaptor.. probably should have researched a little more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.