Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evenkiehl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Hello All,
First post on the forum, and welcome any advice or suggestions.
Here is the deal. I need a small video camera that I can take to El Salvador and provide sort of a visual blog for a coffee plantation, with the future possibility of maybe a documentary.

I am not sure which camera to get, and the longer the optical lens the better.
Manual override for exposure and focus would also be impt. Audio input for a wireless mike desirable.

Now, here it gets tricky, as I have vast experience supervising editing sessions, but no hands on, and I will be doing it myself for the first time, probably doing regular Youtube postings of a few minutes. I don't even know if HD is what I should be considering, but would like to have it avail for maybe the future, and don't know what that means in terms of shooting, downloading, editing and transmission...?

My computer will probably be the 'newest' OS version, will find out what number in a few days. Reason is that the older laptop will apparently have the newest OS installed in the body.

iMovie will probably be the editing I will have to learn to use quickly.

So, my question is not just camera related, but the software and editing capabilities and compatibilities of the computer.

What should I be looking for, please, in regard to all the considerations above? I am not familiar with the differences between hard drive, flash drive, memory compatabilty etc in the camera. I have been a professional photographer and a DP on feature films, so I know about some things well, but the computer related imagery is new to me.

Many thanks,
Stuart

Pretty broad question, I know, but this is where I am in the process. Just looked at the latest page of this forum and realize this request follows many similar ones, so apologies for redundancy....

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
As far as iMovie goes, pretty much any camcorder will work. For software, iMovie ought to be fine, but, If you have any experience with Final Cut, Final Cut Express might make more sense, or a combination of both. Especially as you are considering making a documentary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.